The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Freppo
A film cap will work just as good. :)
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

nostradoomus
Alright I will replace it and see what happens.

Another issue to note is my main bypass/button indicator LED does not work.

Thanks!

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

nostradoomus
Alright, took the cap out. Measured it at 217nf with 0.0% ESR...a fine specimen! Replaced it anyway, Now the sound goes down in pitch as opposed to up haha. Going over all values with a fine tooth comb just to be sure.

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

peterinio
Hey Freppo!

Just got around to building the Multiwave Guitar Synth and....it doesn't work.
Obviously shoddy craftsmanship on my end :(

I was wondering if you could point me to the right direction with troubleshooting it.
For some reason I get a kind of white noise in mixed in with my clean guitar signal when i switch on the pedal. Weird! Have you encountered that before? Do you know what might be the case?

Anyway, gonna order a pcb or 2 from you - I think I bit of a little more than I could chew with this one!

In any case, thank you for your contribution and sharing of your builds!

Take care,

Here's some pics of the build - sorry for the poor quality of work, I'm an absolute beginner.

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Axldeziak
It looks like a bunch of those tracks are solder bridged with hershey kiss tips.

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

peterinio
Yeah, I need to work on my soldering.

Gonna try to fix some of them, see if it works.

Isn't it weird that I'm getting clean guitar signal, though?

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Kinski
Man, I loved this thing right away, but it just keeps getting better and better. Really started digging into the 4th button LFO and how it interacts with different waveforms. There are so many sounds in this thing, but once I really wrapped my head around it all, I found it very easy to use. There are no bad sounds in this circuit. You can also just start pushing buttons and turning knobs without much thought and still get great sounds. This thing is LEGENDARY! I've always been a fan of your work, but this thing is on a whole other level. Much respect!

The only thing I wish it could do was remember the settings after being powered off instead of resetting back to default as it can be hard to keep track of your exact settings sometimes. I'm finding my self keeping notes of some setting I especially like.

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Freppo
nostradoomus wrote
Alright, took the cap out. Measured it at 217nf with 0.0% ESR...a fine specimen! Replaced it anyway, Now the sound goes down in pitch as opposed to up haha. Going over all values with a fine tooth comb just to be sure.
Hmm, that's wierd. Had you tried replacing the CD4066 already?
I've had a descending pitch in one of my builds which turned out to be a bad 4066 chip.

The main bypass indicator LED (the top one) has the cathode connected directly to the 3PDT switch, so double check the LED orientation and the offboard wiring. The anode side goes through a current limiting resistor (R29) to pin 6 of the Attiny84.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Freppo
peterinio wrote
Hey Freppo!

Just got around to building the Multiwave Guitar Synth and....it doesn't work.
Obviously shoddy craftsmanship on my end :(
Hey! :)

Sorry to hear about your vero build trouble.

If you are getting a clean signal blended in, I guess that you either have a short or missing cut somewhere on the board. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

I've been looking at the layout to try to figure out where the clean signal could be getting into the output, but i'm at a loss there... :/
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

Freppo
Kinski wrote
Man, I loved this thing right away, but it just keeps getting better and better. Really started digging into the 4th button LFO and how it interacts with different waveforms. There are so many sounds in this thing, but once I really wrapped my head around it all, I found it very easy to use. There are no bad sounds in this circuit. You can also just start pushing buttons and turning knobs without much thought and still get great sounds. This thing is LEGENDARY! I've always been a fan of your work, but this thing is on a whole other level. Much respect!

The only thing I wish it could do was remember the settings after being powered off instead of resetting back to default as it can be hard to keep track of your exact settings sometimes. I'm finding my self keeping notes of some setting I especially like.

Wow, thank you for the review! I so happy that you like it!

I think it turned out very cool, even if it has a few quirks. I spend a unreasonable amount of time on the developement lol (2000 hours at least) and almost got burned out in the process, so this year I will aim at releasing more smaller projects insted. :P

I wanted to add the possibility to save and recall the settings, but it was too complicated and I was running out of program space on the attiny. I really had to struggle getting the code together, since I've only been doing programming for a couple of years, but I learned alot when doing the Mega, so the next pedals shouldn't be as difficult hopefully. :)
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Multiwave Guitar Synth

nostradoomus
Hmm maybe it’s the 4066, I’ve got one more to test. My tools aren’t exactly ESD safe so I’ll be extra careful with the next one.

As for the main LED could be that I have it rigged up to a test box for now with 4 wires only (9V and ground from the top and In/out at the bottom)...I won’t go further until I figure out my other issue! :D
12