There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

phil5050
So... When I press the 3dpt the signal cuts out for a split second then the effect engages. However, when switching back to bypass it happens instantly as normal. I've never had this problem before so can anyone tell me what's going on and how I might be able to solve it?
Thank you all.
Phil

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

Is it only happening with one particular effect?  Sounds like the kind of thing a faulty or dodgy cap could do.

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

phil5050
Yes I've built quite a few pedals now (from this brilliant site!) and its just this one. So is it worth testing each input/output cap?

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

What effect is it?

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

phil5050
It's a dual emerson em-drive circuit (well 2 independent ones) but I used cheap ceramic caps as it's just an experiment. The effect itself sounds as I expected though. It's odd because both effects are identical, I have socketed the transistors to try some different combinations but you can assume I have used 2n5088 for both. I originally thought it would be the switch but then the problem is the same with both sides/switches.
I really appreciate your help and any suggestions are welcomed!

Phil

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

Did you add a filter cap?  My first thought was a filter cap because it connected between supply and ground and so if dodgy could potentially be pulling the supply down.  But if you built is as per the layout it only has an input and output cap.

They're certainly what I would change first but I'm not as convinced they will be responsible.

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

Try another footswitch. I have had the same issue before with a build, though I can't remember which one.
Worked perfectly with a new switch, so I concluded that the switch was dodgy.

Re: There is a delay from when I press the pedal to the effect engaging?

phil5050
It is happening with both switches and they are good quality so I think I will try some other caps and then, if I have to, swap out the switches.