Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Kalimna
Not a query, but I have been boxing up a couple of builds this week (at some point I will get around to uploading some pictures) to clear my bench for other projects.
First up was a Vertex Steel String (fired up first time, sounds great, mine is more of an overdrive it seems rather than just a clean boost) and next was a Marshall Shredmaster. Because of my lack of planning, the wiring of the 5 pots was a little 'acrobatic' and took about an hour and a half. Plugged it in, and surprisingly worked first time, again not a particularly high gain affair (perhaps I'll try subbing the TL072's for some other op-amps?).
However, every single damn pot was wired back-to-front. Arrrrrgh. Not a huge issue except for the log tapers.

Fun and games.

I now have to wait for some stompswitches to arrive and then box up a Katzenkoenig, Causality 4 and a Dirty Shirley (looking forward to all the pots on that one!).

Cheers,
Adam

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Thing that makes me go crazy is when I put a bunch of effort into a build and then my screwdriver slips and scratches across the face of the pedal

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

I remember when that happened man. It was heartbreaking.

For me it’s when I spend a nice bit of time building a pedal go to fire it up only to get no sound when the pedals engaged. Spend a shit ton of time debugging with no change. I walk away and come back the next day take one look in the pedal and notice I didn’t put the transistors or ICs in, cause I do that last to protect them from damage. I put them in and she fires right up as expected.

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Unfortunately I’ve probably damaged the finish like that 10 or more times haha

Debugging is almost always a pain huh?

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Kalimna
I avoid problems with scratching the finish by leaving the boxes in aesthetically pleasing natural not-quite-aluminum ;)
One day I'll get around to painting them, but for now I have around 16-17 boxes of dull grey!

Adam

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

rocket88 wrote
For me it’s when I spend a nice bit of time building a pedal go to fire it up only to get no sound when the pedals engaged. Spend a shit ton of time debugging with no change. I walk away and come back the next day take one look in the pedal and notice I didn’t put the transistors or ICs in, cause I do that last to protect them from damage. I put them in and she fires right up as expected.
I've done that loads too, pisses me right off!  And my memory is getting worse so it's never going to get better

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Sensei Tim
What Travis and Rocket88 said.

plus plugging your send and return cables into the wrong jacks and wondering why it works in bypass mode and dead silence when the effect is engaged.

or not realizing you forgot to plug in your power supply

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

Muadzin
Travis wrote
Thing that makes me go crazy is when I put a bunch of effort into a build and then my screwdriver slips and scratches across the face of the pedal
Oh yeah. I've had that with a couple of my guitar builds. When I've spent months painting and sanding a guitar to the proper finish. Then you install the hardware and 'oops'!

Much cursing, wailing and gnashing of teeth follows. It's heartbreaking. And then after you've vented you try to pick yourself up and make the best of it.

rocket88 wrote
For me it’s when I spend a nice bit of time building a pedal go to fire it up only to get no sound when the pedals engaged. Spend a shit ton of time debugging with no change. I walk away and come back the next day take one look in the pedal and notice I didn’t put the transistors or ICs in, cause I do that last to protect them from damage. I put them in and she fires right up as expected.
Been there, done that, gotten the t-shirt, tore it up in frustration many times over.

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

bogey
The World Cup......it's taking up all my build time.

Re: Things that make you go 'Arrrrrrgh'

BetterOffShred
I'm so glad that wasn't something I had to worry about.  Haha.

Now that's it's over we can get back to baseball..