Tonebender MK 2 PNP

hobbyseason
This is my first time posting for debugging help, hope I make this easy for anyone willing to lend a hand. I'm sure I've done something extremely obvious here and a second set of eyes will be all it needs.

I'm getting signal in bypass but zero sound when engaged, this is my first positive ground build so i've assumed i connect my power supply the opposite way around to whats most common.

I traced the signal with an audio probe and it doesn't pass Q1.

I can't see any solder bridges and have checked with continuity buzzer on my multimeter and all seems to be in order.

I used this layout:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qz8h0HEridw/U_I4B3s-q_I/AAAAAAAAIe4/xWV2zDRfM1k/s1600/Tonebender%2BMKII%2B-%2Bsmallest.png

I'm using ac125s that i bought in a measured tonebender set, I've checked the pinout multiple times, 2 of 3 have twisted legs to suit the layout.

I'm not entirely sure which transistors are which so I've labelled them as Q1 the first after the 4u7 input cap, Q2 directly above, Q3 far right on the layout (hope this isn't too confusing)

Q1
E 8.85
C 0.03
B 5.55

Q2
E 8.85
B 8.8
C 8.77

Q3
B 8.77
C 0.44
E 8.81

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

hobbyseason

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

just after a quick look i see a few solder points that look dodgy to me, so i would check that they're all good and complete with your DMM on the continuity setting. also, for PNP builds what's normally ground is actually the positive and positive is actually ground. which if i'm reading your wires right red is positive and white is ground? also you're voltages should be negative not positive with PNP builds. try flipping them as well and see if that helps.

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

hobbyseason
Thanks rocket,

Yeah i should have mentioned, all of those voltages were showing negative on my DMM.

Checked over all the rows and solder points for continuity again, all good.

Reflowed all joints.

Tried the power both ways just to make sure.

Still nothing, im stumped. Ive built some 30 pedals with a lot more parts without any trouble.

Do those voltages seem ok?

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

Is have to check mine, which will be in a few days. The voltages do seem off from what I remember mine being though. I just saw that you said you twisted the legs. You shouldn't need to. The little part that sticks out is the E, the next leg is B (off centered middle leg), and C is the last leg. Check that you've got the right legs in the right placement on the board.

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

The legs need to be twisted for two of the transistors in this layout if you use CBE trannsistors

What is the red wire connected to? Are you powering this on a daisy chain?

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

Re: Tonebender MK 2 PNP

hobbyseason
I tried with both a battery and my usual 9v power supply. Nar, no daisy chain travis