Transistor legs sleeves?

iggy
What do you guys use to cover the legs on transistors when they are left long or need to be bent into odd configurations? I saw some teflon tubing on EvilBay that looked like it might work. What size are the legs in general. All they list are the metric size. Not quite sure what size the legs are.

Thanks

Re: Transistor legs sleeves?

induction
No need to buy anything extra. Just strip a bit of insulation from your whatever wire you use. Works great.

Re: Transistor legs sleeves?

iggy
Great idea, thanks.

Re: Transistor legs sleeves?

thats what i do, and i've used that teflon tubing. but i got it free when i ordered from balkin and one of his new stores.

Re: Transistor legs sleeves?

I know that this is going to come completely out of left field, but I use Fox brand silicone leader tubing for carp fishing rigs. works really well, and only a couple of quid for 2 metres.

I got a load of teflon tubing from Balkan Sales as well. Also works great, and it was a freebie.

Re: Transistor legs sleeves?

Yes I used wire insulation too, but I bought the narrowest heat shrink tubing I could find which was still much wider than the wire insulation in it's raw state, but when you apply a little heat you get a perfect tight wrap around the leads (with the size I bought which totally escapes me at the moment).    My instincts tell me not to apply unnecessary heat if you can avoid it to anything germanium, but there's nothing wrong with giving the leads a bit of a blast, they soon cool down and all the measurements go back to normal.