Tronographic RustyBox

johnk
I was hoping to find a vero layout for the Tronographic RustyBox bass preamp that is actually the preamp section of  a vintage Traynor TS-50B bass amp. all I could find is the original Traynor schematic so I though that i'd have a go at making a vero for it. after building it up, it works perfectly but requires a bipolar 15V power supply. to test it, I used my bench top power supplies. after being satisfied with the results, my goal then was to make it run on a standard boss or 1 spot 9V wall wart, (since the Tronographic unit requires a dedicated 24-40V AC supply). I accomplished it by using two IC7660S charge pumps, since a single 7660S didn't supply enough current. I used one to turn +9V into +18V, and the other to turn +9V into -18V. I then made another (tiny) vero and ran the + & - 18V leads to a  couple of 15V zener diodes and a a couple more filter caps. the pedal works perfect now and I don't need a separate power supply for it.

anyway, here's a couple of pictures of it:

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

Awesome, very nice job John.  I was just going to post that I've got a scheme to get +/- 18V from an ICL7660S and would do a layout until I saw about the current.

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

johnk
hi Mark,
thanks!.
yeah, I first built a charge pump supply using a single ICL7660s that gave me + & - 18V for it, but when I connected it to the circuit, the + became 12V and the - became 8V since it was drawing too much current for a single 7660S. this pedal draws about 40ma so it required two of them. here's the vero (and the 18 to 15V zener board) for the one that I tried:

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

cylens
wow, it looks amazing...

would it be possible to please share the main layout for it?

thanks in advance

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

johnk

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

cylens
OK, there's no way I can thank you enough for this... if you have an idea, just let me know...

Thanks one again for your amazing work

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

cylens
hey john,

what pot did you end up using for the middle control?

thanks

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

johnk
I used a C25K with a 39K resistor across lugs 1&3 to make it a 15K reverse audio.

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

cylens
Thank you!

FYI there's a slight error (I think) on the voltage doubler layout, the ground wire should be one row up, right?

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

johnk
yep. now corrected

Re: Tronographic RustyBox

cylens
hey there,

so I finally succeeded in building it. still struggling with squealing... I'm pretty sure it comes from the negative power supply, tried linking pins 1 & 8 of the charge pump, it did boost the frequency, but not high enough. Don't know if a faulty electrolithic could be the culprit... or I might have damaged charge pumps when connecting pin 5 of TL071 to ground?

anyway... would this bipolar converter deliver enough current for the rustybox? http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2014/01/bipolar-voltage-converter.html (I don't have LT1054 at this time, so better ask before ordering, there not cheap)

another thing: I don't like the tonestack that much, I'd rather put an active Bax EQ after the drive part. speaking of which: the "drive" portion is the 6 mps8598, right? what's the purpose of the Jfet? (I'm a n00b, about deciphering schematics...)

thanks!