Using a DPDT on/on/on as a SP3T

MAO

Using a DPDT on/on/on as a SP3T

MAO
This post was updated on .
I spotted this switch usage some years ago, I think in a madbean design.

Basically this wiring converts a DPDT on/on/on toggle switch to a SP3T switch.

It's an easy, inexpensive way to mod a pedal, say to add a 3rd switching option to a SPDT design.

Been using it ever since to select 3 different diode clipping options, or 3 different caps values.

I used it most recently in the ProCo Solo and the Madbean Turnabout to select the 3 independent clipping options.

I've also used it to select 3 different speeds in a Chorus and in a Phaser.

Smaller and cheaper than a 3T rotary :0)

The only catch is there are 2 different types of on/on/on switches (ask me how i know), each having different lugs shorted in the center position. Just need to check which you have, and wire it up as noted below.  (I labeled them Type "A" and Type "B" which is not official, just my way of identifying each type)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Using a DPDT on/on/on as a SP3T

MAO
Yup, inspired by the madbean Naughty Fish HP/LP/BP switch.

A creative way to select 3 different signal paths.  The original Nautilus design had used a rotary switch for the same purpose, where only 1 pole of the rotary was actually being used, consuming space and money. He updated the design a few years ago with the on/on/on switch....genius.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Using a DPDT on/on/on as a SP3T

GrooveChampion
I honestly dont even know why there are 3PRT if such thing exists.

Oh wait...there are D3PT...

Re: Using a DPDT on/on/on as a SP3T

Wat?