Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

johnk
This post was updated on .
not verified yet, but it follows the schematic posted at FSB. UPDATED!!!!!

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

johnk
This post was updated on .
BTW, the one above is with the older, large BDTR1 brick. the one below is with the much smaller BDTR2 brick: UPDATED!!!!!!

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Brilliant, nice one John
def

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

def
Fantastic! I was just wondering if this or the Catalinbread Topanga were possible with vero. Are you building it? Is there a recommended brick for this? I heard the short brick has less modulation.

Thanks, John!

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

johnk
the original schematic showed it with the large brick, and I believe that wampler used the long one. that said, I prefer the smaller bricks, and the short ones, since they DO have the least modulation of the three types.
def

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

def
Thanks, John; just ordered the parts  Hope it works

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

tjdracz
Ace, John! I was thinking of doing box of hall with dwell control from your layout but this looks easier and smaller and demos sound amazing!

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

bapa
Hello! Has anyone gotten this layout to work? I´ve built this one twice to make sure i did not do any mistakes. Anyway, i´m getting signal when the pedal is engaged but no reverb. The pots are alive with some hiss/sound but no reverb. Maybe the layout is correct but the schematic wrong. I had the original pedal a couple of years ago and from what i remember it did not have that strong modulation a lot of Belton-based circuits have! I would be happy to get this one working! Thanks a lot/bastian

These are my voltages:
IC1

1. 4,4
2. 4,4
3. 4,0
4. 0
5. 4,4
6. 4,3
7. 4,5
8. 8,8

IC2

1. 8,3
2. 8,3
3. 0
4. 0
5. 4,1
6. 4,1
7. 4,3
8. 8,8

78L05

I  8,8
G  0
O 4,9

J201

D 8,8
S 1,5
G 0

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

HarmRazorback
Used the BDTR2 layout with the same result. When I connected BDTR2-5 to Level 2 the reverb kicked in. However I'm not sure if that is the way to get it to function correctly.

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

bapa
Thanks a lot, that did the trick but the level-pot goes from nothing to a lot with just barely touching it. Anyway, i think i´ll give up on Belton-reverbs, this one too adds annoying modulation...

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Tune Tone
Hey
I'm about to build this one with the layout of the BTDR-1H.
Any tipps or watch out for something ??
best!
A.

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Tune Tone
I build this one and connected the board to a breadboard before I box it )cool thing I did otherwise I would be boxing a non working effect :P)
so yeah .. it ain't working and I did connected the Brick 5 to Level 2 like you guys mentioned - still no reverb.
The only reverby signal I get is when I move the Brick 2 & 4 which are on the breadboard's ground. There is some crackles with reverb on them. meaning somewhere in the circuit the inputs might have fail doing its way to the reverb processing. no Idea though. any help ?

Voltages:

78L05:
I - 8.25
G - 0.92
O - 5.92

J201:
D:7.88
S - 1.50
G - 0.91

upper IC:
1 - 0.96
2 - 0.96
3 - 0.38
4 - 0.91
5 - 8.00
6 - 0.95
7 - 0.12
8 - 0

lower IC:
1 - 7.58
2 - 7.59
3 - 0.91
4 - 0.91
5 - 7.97
6 - 7.42
7 - 6.72
8 - 1.27

D1:
An - 0.95
Cat - 8.31

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Hozy31
Sorry this is not verified stupidly had my other reverb on and hadn't even switched this one on, what a twat. Anyway if anybody can figure out why this isn't working that would be great. I will carry on debugging for the mo and pass on any info if i get it working.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

***ignore this post and look two posts down, instead****

The layouts look wrong to me. Referring to this schematic, pin 5 of the upper TL072 and Level 1 should both be connected to VD, not ground. VD is a voltage divider, basically a duplicate of VB. I suspect this was misread as V0 and interpreted to be ground.

Try moving Level 1 to row 9 (from the top), just below the output lead. The jumper between rows 9 and 10 should either go from row 9 to row 11 (it will have to be angled) or it can go sideways to counteract the cut at the 10th column (from the left).

I don't know if this is the only error, or if this will fix it, but it's worth a try. I assume Wampler used two voltage dividers to reduce noise, but you can almost certainly get away with just one.

Thanks so much for the help. Just tried that and i am now getting signal and it has reverb but its almost inaudible. I also have an annoying tick tick. Definitely something else wrong with this.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

I looked a little closer and I think it's a simple fix.

VD is actually included in the layout (it's the two 10k and the 100u at the bottom center), but one resistor is in the wrong place and the ground connection is in the wrong place. So forget my suggestions in the above post.

1. Move the 10k that goes from the bottom row to pin 8 of the bottom TL072: it should go between the first and second row from the bottom. It will have to stand up, sorry. (Edit: I guess you could lay it down if you put it at an angle.)

2. Move the ground lead to the very bottom row on the left.

3. Try it out, and let us know if it's fixed.

I haven't found any other problems, but that's not a guarantee.

Thanks again Induction. I will try this at the weekend and post back results.

Ok, so put the bits back i changed and did those couple of fixes and now have lost all sound again. Thanks for the help anyway. Would still like to get this working though as when i did have it working with very low sound it actually sounded pretty good.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

induction
Don't worry. You're getting closer, not further away.

Time for photos and voltages again.

Re: Wampler Faux Spring Reverb

Hozy31
Thanks induction that fix actually worked. I realised in the middle of the night, woke up suddenly realising i hadn't moved the ground wire so moved that and now its working a treat. Weird that i dream about pedal building. Anyway a massive thank you for your help induction, greatly appreciated.
"Red velvet lines the black box"
12