What are you listening to?

alex.s
Not right now I mean, more like lately ;)

Thought I'd open a thread to talk about the music and albums we are listening to or have been lately.

To get the ball rolling, I've been listening to the new Yo La Tengo, Fade, quite a lot, as well as still having a few from last year on rotation (DIIV, Dinosaur Jr, Jake Bugg, Cribs...). Classics being classics, I've also gave a few spins to Sonic Youth's Dirty, Television's self titled and quite a lot of Yo La Tengo's back catalog (especially I Can Hear..., probabily my personal favourite).

Re: What are you listening to?

Geiri
I just revisited "Fear Of a Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree. I enjoyed it a lot!

I've been looping the new Bring Me The Horizon song. They never fail to please!

"Say Hello To Sunshine" by Finch is an album that I keep coming back to. It's always fresh.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: What are you listening to?

Dave
The lost in translation soundtrack, Dino jr's 'i bet on sky' (going to see them next weekend!!!) and the swirlies 'they spent their days......'

Re: What are you listening to?

Madferret
A mate I used to work with has a bit of thing for Exit 10 so I said I'd go to the gig in Manchester in Feb, I figured I better brush up on some of the track so I've been listening to their last album, besides that I really enjoyed the Wax Poetics Bizarre Ride II mixbecause it's based on my favourite Pharcyde album and I've always got a semi permanent rotation of Band of Skulls, Zepplin, The Dead Weather, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bright Eyes, Dear Reader and stuff like that.

Re: What are you listening to?

mirosol
Lately i've been listening to Gaslight Anthem's The '59 Sound (new album is not that good) and The Templars' Horns of Hattin' ....
+m
fyaelectronics.com

Re: What are you listening to?

Jon the Art Guy
My main music is Neko Case. She's classified as alt country. Sort of roots-Americana that's guitar-driven, and she's super-dark. Her amps the band uses are Fenderish 6v6 sounding, with a looooong spring reverb. Very organic and ethereal, and everything analog or tube driven. There's a good patchwork of clean, just off-edge driven, verb and trem.
Another one would be Morphine. two-string slide bass running into a Bassman and sometimes a dirt pedal.
Black Keys of course! I'm pretty sure we've all watched the Premier Guitar rig rundown of Dan Auerbach.

I also found out two of my other faves, Interpol and Big Wreck both made albums this year. Big Wreck's been off the books for about a decade now, and all of a sudden they go and do this thing. Nice.

Re: What are you listening to?

Milkit
Cable & a lot of it. Going to their London gig on the 9th February. Can't wait man. Saw them in Manchester in November, but with a cut short set due to shitty Blackstar amp failure!!

One of the best & most underrated bands of the 90's in my opinion.

Also listening to 'part chimp' a lot. Good old fuzz-o-Rama times!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: What are you listening to?

alex.s
Going to their gig at the Garage as well! Looking forward to it.

Also seeing Dinosaur jr like Dave, but here in London as well, in a week's time.

Gone a bit tickets crazy lately, have quite a few good ones coming up. Been to MBV tonight which blew me away, as usual. Will be back listening to their whole discography on heavy rotation, plus their new record "could be out in two or three days" according to Kevin Shields... Can only hope he means it this time round!

Re: What are you listening to?

Iron Maiden and Guns n Roses.  Same as I've been listening to for the last 25 years!

Oh to go back to the 80's, Castle Donnington and pink guitars!

Just joking about the pink guitars ...

Re: What are you listening to?

Milkit
Ace, maybe see you there dude!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: What are you listening to?

JaviCAP
Administrator
Oh, Donington.... what a memories! 1990 Edition was something to be remembered for centuries!

Re: What are you listening to?

I was there in 1990 too, but it was the 1988 one that is my most memorable gig.  Iron Maiden head lining and also Guns n Roses played, I still get goose bumps when I remember it had gone dark and then Maiden starting Moonchild at the beginning of their set.  And plastic bottle fights in the middle of the park!

It was an amazing day

Re: What are you listening to?

JaviCAP
Administrator
Yeah, I bet it was easier for you to get there, Manchester is a bit closer than Madrid :)

Anyway, the journey was as amazing as the concert: Madrid-Amsterdam (4 days) -> Ferry to Dover -> London 3 days + Donington festival -> back to Madrid.

Most difficult part ot these days were the british custom's after Amsterdam XDDD

BR

Re: What are you listening to?

Milkit
The only one I ever got to go to was 95'. My ticket was a birthday present from my ma for my 18th. Had a fab time. The first time I ever tried cannabis & it made me sick, never again!!

Metallica headlined. Machine head, slayer, CoC all good stuff!!

I got hit in the back of the head with a piss & sand filled beer pouch, nice!

Good times!!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: What are you listening to?

JaviCAP
Administrator
Oh, the flyin' piss cans on Donington! Sometimes you were looking more often to the sky than to the stage,  a 1 gallon can full of piss, sand and who knows what more filth is a real massive destruction weapon!

Lovely youth memories. 1990 was wonderful, the concert impressive, I turned 20 years four days before while in Amsterdam (blank date, hardly I can remember anything)..... and the  cases filled with leather jackets,  at this time much more cheaper than in Spain, i still have 2 of them on my closet :P

BR

Re: What are you listening to?

Heath
After listening to Andy@ProGuitarshop demo the Lovepedal Kalamzoo with a Black Crowes tribute, I got whacked with a big nostalgia stick.  Been listening to their first 2 albums quite a bit.  "Twice as Hard" is just a monster guitar sound.  "Stop Kicking My Heart Around" off By Your Side is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded.

Other than that, I also took another slight nostagia tour through some old Accept albums.  As comical as Udo could inadvertently come off (especially in this video with Udo's Utility Belt of Metal +1), this is one of the most badass songs ever:

Oh, and anything by Rush. :D
KT

Re: What are you listening to?

KT
If you like yo la tengo (i can hear is also my favorite), dinosaur jr, sonic youth; you should check Pavement, Broken Social Scene, Motorpsycho (Blissard), Modest Mouse (The Lonesome Crowded West), Wilco, Treepeople, Caustic Resin, Built to spill, Slint Flaming Lips, Ty Segall..
Other favorite albums of mine are Illinois and The age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens

Re: What are you listening to?

alex.s
KT wrote
If you like yo la tengo (i can hear is also my favorite), dinosaur jr, sonic youth; you should check Pavement, Broken Social Scene, Motorpsycho (Blissard), Modest Mouse (The Lonesome Crowded West), Wilco, Treepeople, Caustic Resin, Built to spill, Slint Flaming Lips, Ty Segall..
Other favorite albums of mine are Illinois and The age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens
A good handful of bands/records I like there!

Since you got the ball rolling again, recent records I've been on lately are by Cold Specks, the War on Drugs (likely record of the year), Cloud Nothings (MilkIt, if you enjoy cable you might well enjoy them!), Angel Olsen, Afghan Whigs, Real Estate...
KT

Re: What are you listening to?

KT
If you mention War on Drugs, you should also mention  Kurt Vile :)
Ow, and I forgot to mention Low and Madensuyu.

Re: What are you listening to?

there's a list a mile long of bands i'm listening to lately. i mean i the past 2 weeks i saw george clinton and parliament funkadelic, and earthless. i've been listening to a lot of funk like cymande, funkadelic, J.D. & The Evil’s Dynamite Band, and El Michels Affair. i've also been listening a lot to doom metal and psychedelic rock, like the sword, black sabbath, boris, graveyard, fu manchu, monster magnet, american sharks, dozer, colour haze, kadavar, hendrix, and a lot more.

yesterday i just got in a 90's mood, so i had on dinosaur jr, alice in chains, nirvana, STP, the toadies, sound garden, blind melon, the folk implosion, gin blossoms, jane's addiction, smashing pumpkins, i can't even remember who else. i just get in a mood and it's just non-stop until my mood changes, and i always go back, hell i just found my copy of tricky maxinquaye, which i haven't listened to for at least 3 years, i put it on and to be honest i forgot how amazing it was.

alex, i haven't listened to yo la tango in forever, i saw them back in like 2002 when i was in 11th grade, great show. if you put on wilco, i may suggest Sky Blue Sky, it's my favorite by them. it has a vintage feel to it, and is just a great road trip album.
12