What's a good low gain, crunchy fuzz?

alex.s
Thought I'd ask you guys for recommendations... I'm looking for a nice fuzz that can provide nice lower gain tones, retaining a bit of crunchiness/twang but adding the nice bit of fart every fuzz pedal should have..!
Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Re: What's a good low gain, crunchy fuzz?

JaviCAP
Administrator
D*A*M is the answer :)

Try the Drag'n'Fly or the Meathead Deluxe, I  think they are exactly what you're looking for.

They both can go from starved but crunchy sounds, to wild raging fuzzes.

BR

Re: What's a good low gain, crunchy fuzz?

alex.s
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I like the way the tone control on those is effectively a way of choosing the input cap's size. I'm guessing at its trebliest they both can get a nice treble booster-ish tone which should also result in less gain.

Have a couple germanium NPNs at hand, so the Drag'n'Fly is definitely on the cards! :)

Re: What's a good low gain, crunchy fuzz?

Vince
I'll second the meathead deluxe. with the filter you go from crunch to full fat muff fuzz. Great pedal.

Re: What's a good low gain, crunchy fuzz?

alex.s
Thanks for chiming in Vince!
I guess a BC182L for Q2 would work as well in place of the BC107B, considering it's the transistor of choice for the original meathead?
Looking forward to putting this togheter tomorrow!