When To Use Buffers

Pavlos
I've notice mention of some circuits being buffered, or it being useful to use a buffer with them. The question is, what exactly does a buffer do? and where is it best to place them in the signal chain? just at specific strategic points? or, as some of them are very small and simple, is it worth putting them at the input of every circuit, maybe switchable in/out depending on what it is being paired with?

Thanks in advance :o)

Re: When To Use Buffers

vid.sicious
I'm no expert but buffer simply fixes signal impedance which can be lost due to long wires. It brings back some treble, so if it's not your thing then you may not even need one. In some cases, putting buffer before a pedal will fix audible LFO clock ticking issues or even high pitched squealing in some dirt pedals (like my Proco Rat build). I've recently buit a Fuzz face with a Klon Buffer and experimented with how it affects the sound. From what I've read, putting a buffer before fuzz can really mess the sound up, but after is fine. I noticed that in my fuzz face build. Placing the buffer after it simply brings out some clarity and high frequencies which in my opinion is great. I've also built a small clone with same buffer circuit (switchable) before the clone and at extreme speed settings it does help to clean up the ticking noise a bit. It really depends on how and where you're gonna use buffers. And mostly, I guess it comes down to your personal taste.
aka Dead Eye

Re: When To Use Buffers

A buffer is a circuit that provides unity gain, a very high input impedance, and a very low output impedance. The rule of thumb is that most (but not all) guitar circuits should have a high input impedance and a low output impedance in order to maintain a pristine signal (no tone suck). Unfortunately, the reason this matters brings us in direct contact with basic electronic theory, so in order to understand buffers and use them intelligently, we have to think about electronics instead of just thinking about 'tone'. There will even be a (very) little bit of math. Sorry about that. But if you're really interested, here you go. (If math really bugs you, just read past it. You'll probably still understand the conclusions.)

This rule is based around the concept of voltage dividers. The output voltage of a voltage divider is Vout =  Vin * Z2/(Z1+Z2) (look at the link for what Z1 and Z2 refer to). The junction between two circuits is modeled as a voltage divider, where Z1 is the output impedance of the first circuit (which can be a pedal or your pickups) and Z2 is the input impedance if the second circuit (which may a be a pedal or your amplifier). If Z1 is much, much larger than Z2, that equation implies that Vout is roughly equal to Vin. Plug Z2=1,000,000 ohms and Z1=1 ohm into the above equation and see what you get.

The definition of impedance is Z = V/I, where V is voltage and I is current. In less mathematical terms, impedance limits current. Low output impedance means that the circuit will provide lots of current. High input impedance means that the circuit doesn't require much current. So the combination of low output impedance feeding high input impedance implies that the first circuit will not be 'loaded down', ie. that circuit will be able to produce enough output current that the output voltage (the signal) will not be dropped by the current consumption of the next circuit. In practice, that means that the first circuit will produce the same output voltage when it is not connected to anything (infinitely small load), as when it is plugged into another circuit. If a circuit has a high output impedance, and feeds a circuit with a low input impedance, then a circuit that can't produce much current is trying to supply a circuit that requires a lot of current. So the first circuit can't keep up with the demand and it's output voltage drops. Plug Z2 = 1000 ohms and Z1 = 10,000 ohms into the voltage divider equation and see what you get.

There is a range of acceptable input and output impedances, but 'high' Z is usually somewhere around 1M-10M ohms, and 'low' Z is generally less than 1k ohms or so (often much less for a good buffer, maybe 1 ohm -100 ohms, not including the output cable).

That's why they are called 'buffers'. A buffer is a separation between two things. By buffering the input and output of a circuit, you are essentially isolating that circuit, ie. making it so that the output voltage of the circuit depends only on the input voltage, not on the output impedance of the previous circuit nor the input impedance of the following circuit. Mathematically, by making the input Z high and the output Z low, you are making Vout almost equal to Vin, no matter what the impedances of the surrounding circuits are (within reason).

Buffers are often included at the input and outputs of commercial pedals, and sometimes remain connected in bypass (Boss, etc.). Buffers make it so that you can run very long cables without affecting your tone, for exactly the reasons described above. Conceptually, consider that guitar cables can be modeled as capacitors to ground with capacitances of 10pF - 50pF per foot, and that capacitors have high impedance at low frequencies, and low impedance at high frequencies. So by using a buffer we can keep our tone pristine (Vout ~= Vin in the voltage divider equation) because, even though Z2 gets smaller for high frequencies when the cable gets very long, Z1 is very, very low. You can also use the low-pass filter equation (which is derived from the voltage divider equation) with R set very low to find that the corner frequency (the frequency above which the cable drops amplitude from the signal) is higher than the frequency range of the guitar, even when the cable is very, very long.

The downside of buffers is fairly small, and generally only applies to two situations. First, some circuits (particularly those with bjt first stages with low or non-existent emitter resistors, like the Fuzz Face, LPB-1, etc.) are designed to be fed by guitar pickups, so they expect to be fed a signal from a source with a fairly high output Z. One way of thinking about this is that these circuits are not supposed to be isolated from the pickups, ie. the pickups are part of the circuit. When the source impedance is too low, the gains of these circuits are too high, and they behave poorly (they sound shrill because the high frequencies are expected to be attenuated and the buffer prevents that, and the expected volume knob cleanup disappears).

The other downside comes from too many stacked buffers. If Vout = Vin * 0.99 with one buffer, the volume drop is unnoticeable. But after 10 buffers, Vout = Vin * 0.9, and the volume drop will start to become noticeable. If the buffers are not optimal (bjt buffers are less effective than op-amps, for example) the volume drop will get worse. Each buffer also contributes a little bit of noise, so if you try to use a boost to get the volume back, you will also amplify that noise.

So your use of buffers will depend on your rig and your goals (some guitar players, like Jimi Hendrix and Brian Setzer, used really long cables to drop some of high frequencies before their signal hits their amp). But the general rule should be something like: not too many buffers, and not before Fuzz Faces, COT-50's, LPB-1's, etc. Otherwise, put one as close to your pickups as possible, unless you are trying to bleed off high frequencies without using the tone knobs on your amp for some reason. Figure out which of your pedals have buffered bypass, and recognize that buffers only impact the part of the signal chain that directly follows them, so buffering the input of a pedal generally has no impact on anything that comes after the pedal when the pedal is engaged (or if it has buffered bypass). But most pedals are designed to have low output Z, so you shouldn't need an extra buffer after any pedal, unless it's poorly designed. Likewise, a buffer can easily drive a 300 ft cable, but a 300 ft cable followed by a buffer will sound dark because much of the treble has been bled to ground before the signal reaches the buffer.

If you're still reading, I hope this was helpful.

Re: When To Use Buffers

Frank_NH
Thanks Induction!  That was one of the best explanations of **why** buffers are used that I've read.

The key point for me in trying to understand how buffers work is that circuits both accept and produce **current** along with the voltage signals we associate with guitar pickups and other signal sources.   Too little current means signal degradation when passed to another circuit.  The BJT, JFET, and Op Amp buffers essentially add current without changing the voltage signal.  Notice, for example, that you see buffers in distortion circuits like Dr. Boogey right before the tone stack.  I think this is to provide more signal strength to overcome the losses in tone stack (which could adversely affect the tone in the later stages).

You don't always need buffers - look at all the tube screamer variants without the classic input or output BJT buffers.   Whether they affect the tone appreciably, well - look at all the people trying to mod their TS-9s to TS-808s!

Re: When To Use Buffers

Pavlos
thanks for the quick response and very interesting answers guys, especially from induction, my brain has now melted I'd kinda had the vague impression that whas what they did, but it always helps to have these things confirmed and the clear and informative answers have certainly given me a much better idea of the details

So hopefully I'm understanding this correctly.......buffers are handy, but not essential.........best used before long cable runs rather than after them..............due to the nature of their design some fuzz and old/very simple circuits don't play nicely with buffers before them............depending on placement a buffer can influence tone

So my next question is, what is the easiest way to tell if a circuit has buffered input or output?

Also in the following setup (Assuming no buffered inputs/outputs ) where would it be suitable/unsuitable to use buffers?

Guitar (Passive pickups) and as short a cable as I can get away with -> passive volume pedal -> wah -> fuzz -> overdrives -> modulation -> delay -> amp

Re: When To Use Buffers

Neil mcNasty
Great info from Induction (as usual)
I really enjoy your thorough explanations, and I always learn a lot from it...
THANKS!

I want to add a little side-note that I have picked up after touring as a light-tech with the crem-de-la-creme of Norwegian session/professional musicians for a couple of decades, that helped me a lot regarding this subject.
What I find interesting about this input, is that these guys do not care about theory and do not know much about the technical stuff, and that they are mainly focused on how it sounds and feels when they are playing.
So this might differ from the normal perception about the subject. This is purely based on real life experiences from musicians that are constantly on the road.

The approach that most of these guys have is:
A buffer should always be placed last in the pedal chain, and never at the start.
(and you should never need more than one, by the way...)

This is not just because of the issues discussed above regarding pedals like the FuzzFace and similar, but also because it often decreases the picking dynamics and can mess with the response and sound of the pedals/effects. It also can take away the cleanup effect when turning the guitar volume down (also my experience and reason for disliking buffers up front)

They also point out that we have to remember that the main intention of a standalone buffer, is to help compensate for long cable runs, and that the long cable is always the one running to your amp, and not from your guitar to the pedals (or in between the pedals).
Many of them also point out the fact that they never are in a situation where all the pedals are turned off. There is always a pedal active in their signal chain, and therefore the signal is always "buffered/hot enough"
This is the case for me, as I always got my "Madbean Bloviator II" active at the very end of my chain.

After putting these statements to the test in real life, I have to say that I agree with them, and I never buffer my signal unless I feel that there is a clear and distinct loss in the signal when gigging.
My Cornish Buffer is always tucked away underneath my board, and is never plugged in, unless there is a clear demand for it.
So far I have never used it... But then again my Bloviator makes sure that I always got a great signal running to my amps. (a highly recommended build and a pedal you'll never turn off after experiencing it)

But in the final equation it all comes down to taste and needs, so I encourage everyone to put these things to the test and figure out what they prefer themselves.
There's a technical/theory side of this issue, and then there is also this real life experience to consider in this case.
So...
Buffer up front? In the middle (after the old fuzz)? At the end? Or no buffer at all...?
Build one, try all variants and find out if you like it or not!

Re: When To Use Buffers

Pavlos
Thanks Neil, I'll second your comment regarding inductions explanations, being rather new to this they often melt my brain but I do always seem to learn something very useful from them, also your own and Franks input on a good many posts has proven very useful in my own builds being successful so far. The real world experience and info from you all is great though, very much appreciated just have to build a few, experiment, and see if any of them tickle my tonal fancies-

Re: When To Use Buffers

Pavlos wrote
So hopefully I'm understanding this correctly.......buffers are handy, but not essential
Mostly agree. Sometimes they are essential, but that's rare.

.........best used before long cable runs rather than after them........
I'd say 'more effective'. Whether it's better depends on whether you think the buffering is an improvement.

......due to the nature of their design some fuzz and old/very simple circuits don't play nicely with buffers before them............depending on placement a buffer can influence tone
Agree.

So my next question is, what is the easiest way to tell if a circuit has buffered input or output?
Find a schematic and/or ask us.

Also in the following setup (Assuming no buffered inputs/outputs ) where would it be suitable/unsuitable to use buffers?

Guitar (Passive pickups) and as short a cable as I can get away with -> passive volume pedal -> wah -> fuzz -> overdrives -> modulation -> delay -> amp
I have heard recommendations for buffering the input of passive volume pedals, but I don't use volume pedals myself, so I can't confirm from experience. In all likelihood, the output of your delay will be buffered, at least while it's turned on. Many commercial delay pedals (and even many DIY designs) have buffered bypass as well. (There are some exceptions, though, so again, tell us the make and model and maybe we can tell you for sure.)

It's rarely necessary to put a buffer in the middle of your pedal chain unless you are having a problem. But there is one very common situation where such problems arise: wah into fuzz can be a nightmare if the fuzz is a Fuzz Face or a close relative. As I mentioned before, the Fuzz Face wants to incorporate the previous circuit into its own operation. If the previous circuit is the unbuffered output of a wah pedal, then the Fuzz Face tends to screech like a stuck pig (wah pedals are frequency-selective impedance tamperers). So a buffer is called for after the wah. However, Fuzz Faces don't like buffers in front of them. What to do? This conundrum is a classic and ongoing saga in the annals of stompbox jurisprudence. Some people just switch the order and put the fuzz in front of the wah. Others switch to a less finicky fuzz pedal. Both of these solutions will have a major impact on tone, though. The technological solution is to put a buffer after the wah, and then feed the signal through an LRC circuit (or just a 10k resistor) to restore the high impedance expected by the Fuzz Face. This fixes the tone, but kills the volume knob cleanup (there's always a sacrifice in this game). If one goes this route, it's a good idea to put the buffer inside the wah, so it switches off when you're not using the wah and your volume knob action will be restored when you use the fuzz without the wah.

Assuming you already have your pedals in the configuration you listed, and you aren't noticing a horrific screech-fest when you use the wah and fuzz together, you can just ignore the previous paragraph.

TL/DR: I personally would consider adding a buffer to the front of the pedal chain, but I would test it's effect on sound and feel before committing to it permanently.

Remember, you are an artist. You don't have to follow any rules. Do what gives you the results you want.

Re: When To Use Buffers

Frank_NH
So my next question is, what is the easiest way to tell if a circuit has buffered input or output?

Check out this great article by Jack Orman on buffers:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

Most buffers you will see in effects pedals will be some variant of the BJT, JFET, or Op Amp buffers described in his article.

Re: When To Use Buffers

M. Spencer
induction wrote
 The technological solution is to put a buffer after the wah, and then feed the signal through an LRC circuit (or just a 10k resistor) to restore the high impedance expected by the Fuzz Face.
I was wondering what would constitute a 'buffer remover' circuit for this exact purpose. Do you have any good examples of small LRC circuits, or is it simply a matter of running the buffered signal through a 10K resistor before the FF?

Re: When To Use Buffers

induction
For anti-buffering, I've used both the AMZ pickup simulator and a single 10k resistor. Both worked fine. As I recall, the tone was pretty similar either way.

The volume knob cleanup is one of the biggest selling points for the Fuzz Face for me, and neither the LRC or the inline resistor allows the same level of cleanup with the guitar's volume knob as when the Fuzz Face sees the pickups directly. That's why I recommend to put whatever circuit you decide on in the wah output rather than the Fuzz Face input, and make sure it's bypassed whenever the wah is bypassed. You can always put a volume knob in the pickup simulator, for what it's worth. That worked pretty well for cleanup, but it's not conveniently adjustable on the fly since it's on the floor.

In the end, I didn't make either one permanent. If I want fuzz and wah at the same time, I just use my Tonebender MkII instead of my Fuzz Face.