Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

Regularjohnny
Hi guys! This is my first post on the forum, as ive literally just started getting into diy pedal building with the help of a friend. The most ive done so far is built a little test rig for breadboarding ideas. I have never built a clone pedal and im learning as i go.

At present im stocking up on tools, ie, step bits/snips/wire cutters etc, but im stumped on multimeters!
Ideally, id like to get one from amazon for around 20-40 quid, just wondering if you guys had any recommendations for an absolute beginner?

Thanks guys!

Johnny

Re: Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

Andy Miller
I've got two multimeters.   They both do the things you're likely to do most with them, which are to test continuity, measure DC voltage, measure DC resistance.  I think they were both in the US$20-$30 area.  The reason I bought the second one is to gain the following features:
1.  A socket to test capacitors - not really such a critical feature, since caps are pretty much always labeled.
2.  Sockets to test transistor gain - good to have if you want to measure gains, but a multimeter in this price range isn't going to tell you things like leakage in a Ge transistor.

Re: Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

PMowdes

Re: Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

PMowdes

Re: Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

Ciaran Haslett
That you Johnny?

The last one Phil linked to looks great.  Do yourself a favour and get at least 1 hook clip probe or mini alligator probe as well.  Using a meter is a great way to measure/debug components and circuits.....using a meter and still having 1 hand free is even better.

Gimme a shout if you need any help.

Re: Which Multimeter!!?? Help!

Regularjohnny
It sure is!
Ive put the newer(second) one that Phil suggested, into my amazon basket. Ill be sure to get a mini alligator clip aswell.

Cheers for all the help lads! Ciaran, ill probs give you a shout in the next week or so!! 👍