Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

traktop
This post was updated on .
Hi, I boxed the Blueberry bass Od weeks ago and is working great. Because this pedal remains on all the time, I didn´t noticed until today that when I switch it off, I get a whinning noise on the background.
At first, I thought that there was something wrong with the amp, but that whinning noise goes away completely when the effect is on, or when I plug the bass straight to the amp.
I´m using one of those black/red regulated boss power supplies that never gave me any problem with pedals before.
Checked cables and even tested it on a different amp with same results.
I rechecked the build and everything seemed ok.
I remember reading about a similar problem around here, (can´t remember where), and I think that they used a 4dpt stomp switch to disengage something inside the circuit when switching off the pedal, (9v power in maybe...?)
Stompswitch wiring that I used on all my builds:

This is the first time I´ve got a noise problem like this when the efx remains off, (strange...). What do you think guys?
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi there.
try this
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.gr/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

as Mark said

"This is a less common way of wiring the switch, but it's my favourite method now because it grounds the board input during bypass which will prevent noise bleedthrough that you can get with some high gain circuits."

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

Neil mcNasty
If you take a wire from the fx input lug (on switch) and run it to the unused lower center lug (below the ground connection), then you have grounded input when bypassed.
This way you do not have to re-solder eveything on the switch, but rather just add a link/wire

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

traktop
Thank you, I will try it. I used to ground the input at the switch all the time, but I thought that everything was about preventing the popping when engaging/disengaging the effect, (this one doesn´t pop at all).
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

traktop
Problem solved, thanks guys!

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

Beaker
I'm glad you got it sorted traktop. What did you do to fix it?

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

traktop
I just grounded the circuit input at the switch when is on "effect-off" position, (lead from circuit input lug to the free lug of the picture above).

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

Beaker
Ah, that's good. With the added link, that's what is commonly referred to as the Gaussmarkov switch wiring scheme. It's what I use all the time - so do quite a few of the other guys on here, so stick that link in every time if you wish to carry on using this wiring method.

I'm always aware that other users report that this scheme is not 100% foolproof, and can cause problems on a small number of circuits. However it has worked perfectly, every time (so far) for me!

Re: Whinning noise on Bjfe BBBOD when pedal is off

traktop
Hi, back again.
Ive got a new problem with a whine noise again, (last fixed is fine). Now there is a whine sound when the effect is engaged and gain pot reaches 12  oclock in advance, which changes in pitch as I rotate the tone knob.
Nothing has changed since last time; no change in pedal order and still using same power supply, (one of those red/black boss ones).
I opened it to take a look and everything seems fine.
I didnt try with a buffered pedal in front, but the bassist never had one on the chain so Id rather look for a solution on the circuit itself.
Any ideas?
Cheers, Gilberto.