Wolf Bagger

Alex
This post was updated on .
Verified!

Here is a second verified layout (as suggested by Freppo) using multiturn trimmers instead of Gate and Bandwidth pots (check his post below)

Thanks to Fredrik for verifying them both!

Re: Wolf Bagger

cylens
hehe, didn't have to wait too long, thanks for this layout

i might try it soon with TL074s. the "threshold" is for the gate, right? so what does the "gate" pot do?

Re: Wolf Bagger

Alex
Unfortunately I don't know much about this pedal.
It has been mention around the forums as the pedal to build if you want a Bit Crusher type of pedal but I couldn't find any video of it.
I know the Gate pot is supposed to tame the bleeding but that's pretty much it.
You can get more infos here:

https://sites.google.com/site/electroconducive/wolfbagger-aliaserproject

Re: Wolf Bagger

Freppo
I built this today and it's working! It's a good bitcrush/ringmodish type effect.
Thanks for the layout, excellent work!

Just one small thing, Blend 1 & 3 needs to be swapped.

There are a few observations I'd like to mention for anyone else building this. I had to spend alot of time setting up the circuit to get it to work as it should. For a good while I thought that it wasn't working at all (only got clean signal), until I set the controls right. Hence, a few of the controls definitly needs to be trimpots aswell..

The width pot - it needs to be set just about center for the circuit to work at all.. There is a small area of the sweep (about 40/60 - 60/40 ratio) where it sounds like it should, but outside that small sweep it's just clean signal. I think this pot would be better as a trimpot (set and forget).. I tried different value pots, but it doesn't seem to matter, just the ratio.

The gate pot is also a set and forget control. It needs to be set just right together with the threshold. With the threshhold too high there is only clean signal, set too low and the gate is not working.. set the gate to low and there is alot of noise coming thru, and set it too high the gating will have a too long releasetime.. Both of those controls are very interactive and need to be set exactly right (the sweetspot for both pots are very small and a bit hard to adjust).

I redrew your layout slightly with trimmers insted (I hope you don't mind)

With multiturn trimmers, such as these you will get a better tuning of the controls and it will still fit on the board.

Thanks again for the layout :)
cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Wolf Bagger

Alex
Hi Fredrik.
I don't mind at all!
I'm just glad people can use them.
I've added your multiturn version in my first post to make it easier.
The Blend pot was numbered backwards in the schematics. I've never built it and I could never check.
I couldn't even find a video for it.
Thanks for verifying it!

Re: Wolf Bagger

Freppo
Here's how it turned out boxed, I didn't spend much time on the layout

I omitted the volume control aswell since it never goes above unity. Fun little pedal, sound very simular to the Nyquist Aliaser/analog bit crusher, but totally quiet when not playing. I wish someone would mod the Catalinbred Heliotrope with gates for the carrier frequencies.. that would be awesome!

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Wolf Bagger

Geiri
Could someone please do a quick video of this circuit? I'd love to hear it on a clean signal as well as before or after any drive pedal or maybe even a fuzz.

Cheers!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Wolf Bagger

Freppo
I put a soundclip on my blog, only on clean signal though
http://parasitstudio.weebly.com/building-blog/wolf-bagger-aliaserringmod
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Wolf Bagger

Synsound
I built this up and love it. I had to use a 50k Lin for Freq since it's what I had. The effect only seems to be usable for a small portion of that 50k sweep then it is too low and muddy.
Will the "c" pot help provide more focus to the usable part of the sweep?
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Wolf Bagger

Freppo
This post was updated on .
Yes, a C pot would allow better fine-tuning in the upper range. :)

Check out the Carlin Ringmod
It has a better useful range IMO, better sustain and also doubles as a octave up circuit. :)

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Wolf Bagger

Synsound
Thanks for the fast response. As soon as I get enough on my to do list to justify making a parts order I will swap it out.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Wolf Bagger

BetterOffShred
Anyone who has built this care to maybe give a little instruction on in which order to dial the controls in? I built it finally and it only has clean signal with a really quiet distorted decay that appears after the note, which disappears with twiddling the gate knob. The gate adjustment has to be basically all the way down to like 50k for there to be anything other than clean signal through it.  Anyway I'd love to hear in which order you guys dialed it in.  This thing seemed fun.  I'll probably throw a post up on Freppo's blog in case he checks that more frequently
Thanks
-Brett

Re: Wolf Bagger

BetterOffShred
OK so I missed a cut ..  happen to the best of us.. and guys like me too. So to answer my own  question.. I turned the frequency pot all the way up and the blend up to like 75%, adjusted the width trimmer up until it started making ring mod sounds.  Then I adjusted the threshold trimmer right below where it only passes clean signal.  Then I adjusted the gate until it had nice decay without making too much noise.  If there is a better way let me know!  This thing is so much fun. I 'tuned' up the ring note and put the blend at like 50% and played the squeeze my lemon riff from zeppelin .. so good.   I'd highly recommend this build for a fairly easy 2 knob funskies.  The board kind of sucks with all the vertical resistors, but it's really pretty easy and it's quiet. Love it.
-Brett