Woooaaahhh

I ordered some MP20's and 15u axial caps from Mariyan at bg2014-manue last week and look what came in the box

Lots and lots of extras AND a MIJ Boss BF2!!  Best eBay seller ever!!!

Re: Woooaaahhh

inefficiency
WHAT!?

Oh my god. He actually gave you more than you even ordered! That's insane!

Ain't that Flanger worth something? Being MIJ and all?

Well, time for me to get ordering and see if I win the Bulgarian lottery!

Re: Woooaaahhh

Vince
What the .....

Major score!

I'm gonna order a single capacitor then complain when I don't get a BOSS CE-2!....

Re: Woooaaahhh

Aren't you the lucky boy!

He promised me some extra, extra goodies too, but I've not needed to order anything from him since my first order from him.

Maybe it's time I did!

Re: Woooaaahhh

Luke51411
All I got was a bag full of nos and removed resistors and caps... and I was quite happy with that! Great advertising for him, I imagine he'll get a bunch of orders now trying to be the next big winner

Re: Woooaaahhh

Aw heck, I never get that lucky!  Nice score.  I wonder if he will notice that those extra items are missing from his inventory??

Re: Woooaaahhh

I think it was definitely my lucky day today.  I have quite a lot of the Russian paper in oil caps, but the only common value I was missing was 22nF, and guess what value I got as a freebie?

So cool!

And I really wanted a BF2 as well, in fact I'd probably choose it before any other older Boss effect (unless I was choosing for a purely financial reason), because you can get the Boss classic chorus sounds out of it too.

Re: Woooaaahhh

Luke51411
I wonder if he lurks on the forum, He probably gets quite a bit of business from here, what a great way to say thanks! It sounds like you have a robust order history with him as well, that probably helps.

Re: Woooaaahhh

He does.  He sent me a message via eBay thanking me which was very nice of him.

Re: Woooaaahhh

i got some nice goodies fro him when i placed my order, but nothing like that. he added teflon wire, some plastic tubing, electrolytic caps, and some diodes. man, that's nuts, you are one lucky guy mark. he really must know who you are.

Re: Woooaaahhh

Luke51411
Very nice, I'm always looking for an excuse to order from him but I currently have a pile of his germ trannies that need to be measured, marked, and rocked! So many projects so little time...

Re: Woooaaahhh

JaviCAP
Holy shit! You're a lucky one!

By the way Earth calling to bg2014-manue : JaviCAP on Tagboardeffects is the same JaviCAP in eBay :P (just to try :P)

J.

Re: Woooaaahhh

Re: Woooaaahhh

Luke51411
Selling out for freebies!!! haha good plan.

Re: Woooaaahhh

Man that's quite a haul! I love the BF-2, that's a great pedal and it kinda cops a lot of cool weird sounds too

My experience with this guy has been very good too.

Are those orange electros Roedersteins? I got some orange Roedersteins for fuzz faces and they sound super good

Re: Woooaaahhh

Heath
Did you send him naked pictures or something?

Re: Woooaaahhh

alex.s
Been meaning to shop for a nice little batch of Ge trannies for a while and that's one seller I had saved due to the offering and great feedback.

Hoping not to be too off topic here, which trannies do you guys like? GT308V's are cheap and so are The MP's (12/13/14/39 etc). Would you guys suggest any in particular?

Ta! :)

Re: Woooaaahhh

Luke51411
So far I've only used 2 MP20a trannies in a fuzzface but they sounded really good! I can't vouch for leakage as I just popped them into the cheap Chinese transistor checker and went by the HFE that gave but basically the first set I popped in sounded great!

Re: Woooaaahhh

I've used GT308V's for a few years and they've always been great for me, but results seem to be mixed with other people, some report good results, some not so good.  I just bought some MP20s based on recommendations by others on here because people seem to universally praise them.  They're so cheap I'd say get some of each and see what you think.

Re: Woooaaahhh

my personal suggestion of ones to stock up on:

GT308V, but look for 1T308V (military version) - i've had not great luck with GT308V's most i've gotten are in the 50hfe range, while the military spec 1T308V's are mostly in the 70-90hfe at lest what i've got. they sound great, a little on the dark side, warm and fuzzy, great tone, great in the fuzzface. in fact i only took them out because i tried the GT402V's and just feel in love with those, but none the less great transistors. btw, nothing wrong with the normal GT308V's just mine have never seemed to be as good as others.

GT402V - hard to find, and can be expensive but sound AMAZING in a fuzzface, may be sacrilege to say, but sound very similar to my ears to my NOS Red Dot NKT275's, bright, not to bright, singing sustain, warm fuzzy goodness. side note: i find them to sound best with a bias voltage in the 5-6V range rather then the typical 4.5V.

GT108V - sound sorta like a cross between Ge and Si. they have their own vibe, but really great. a little more on the Si "harsh" vibe, rather then warm, but really lets you cut through the mix. i kinda think of them as if a Ge and Si mated, and you'd get the GT108V. if you see GT309G's or GT309's, they are supposedly the same, or at least sound very similar.

GT109V's - super high gain, i have some that have over 600hfe. they are teeny tiny, and like the GT108's & GT309's they sound sorta like Si to me, and a little noisy. i don't think anyone else has picked them up, or at least said anything about the, but they are usually super cheap so it would be worth picking them up and giving them a try.

MP20A - my #3 go to Ge. warm, well rounded in tone. work great in anything from rangemasters, and fuzzfaces. love these. great in anything. also look for MP20B's, these are higher gain versions, same tone more volume and sustain.

MP16B - just picked these up and some MP16A's. AVOID the MP16A's, they are low gain, despite the datasheet saying they should be up to 100hfe. i haven't tried these in a circuit yet, but the MP16B's are listed as a sub got 2n404's. good in fuzzfaces, i find these make a heavy, thick and gnarly fuzzface.

MP21D - great in tonebenders for Q1 & Q2, and great in fuzzfaces too. big and fat. the gain is usually lower then what they should be on the datasheet, but very usable.

MP41A - NOT MP41. wide gain spread, but sound big and fat. i have 2 with hfe in the 90's in my modified Oracle fuzz, which is based on a MK 1.5 tonebender, and it sounds thick, rich, and heavy.

NPN look for MP38A. they seem to have disappeared, but have almost no leakage and great gains, which is rare for NPN Ge's.

AVOID:
MP35's. i got some and the gains are pretty low, highest were in the 50's. i haven't tried them in anything, so i can't comment on their sound, but have been avoiding it since the gains are pretty low.

also, i know the the joe bonamassa fuzzface asks for  MP39B's. i got some before that came out, but i can tell you most of them had gains in the 40's, so i'm not sure if the ones in the pedal have ones that are higher gain or if it should be that low.

also, i've had terrible luck with GT404's, which are NPN's. i their leakage was so bad i have some over 1uA. supposedly they sound fantastic, but you have to sorta a lot to get a few good ones, and they're expensive.

sorry for such a long winded response, been collecting and hording russian transistors for awhile now. got to say, i love Si pedals, but there is some fantastic mojo in Ge transistors and they all have a personality of their own, and worth experimenting with different types especially if you can get 50 or so cheap.
12