Zonk Machine, FZ-673, Tonebender MKI, just incredible!

Zonk Machine, FZ-673, Tonebender MKI, just incredible!

JaviCAP
Administrator
Hi mates,

Some time ago, a client asked me for a Zonk Machine. Sadly I had to reject this order. For what I could see, this efects was a real pain in the ass to build, very  difficult to bias, and you should have a great stock of germanium trannies, as the selection seems to be random, and even if you have hfe, leakage and voltages, you cannot guarantee that the build will work as it should.

Wel, a few weeks ago I decided to give a try to this build,  is nearly verbatim to the MKI, so you can use this layout to complete the effect.

The first one, was a real PITA to build, but finally managed to get it working. After the first Zonk, I built other one for me to give a try to a set purchased on Smallbear. Not a perfect set, as I had to swap the Q2, as it didn't sound as it should.

Then built  a MKI, pretty straightforward build, and finally gave a try to the D*A*M FZ-673, that is a Zonk with an input blend pot..... and maybe, the best sounding one, and the most easy to tweak, as Q1 and Q3 are very forgiving in values of hfe and leakage. I recommend to anyone to try this build following the great layout of Sinner in Freestompboxes, verbatim copy of the orginal.

Besides that these pedals sound really GREAT, being the FZ-673 and the Zonk with 470nf output cap the best sounding to my ears, one thing very useful is that finally you'll be able to get an use for these dammed extremely high leaking trannies that you stock to use as diodes in some builds.

The best tone from my Zonk was obtained with an AC188 with 850ma leaking! in Q2, and the FZ-673 uses a AC180 with ~300ma leaking. Trannies unusable in any other effect, really shine on the MKI family.

Mayble the most difficult to build and less known Tonebender, but for my taste, offers an unique tone: wild, gated, temperamental and really mean.

If you  have a good stock of useless germ trannies, don't even doubt, and try to build one f these pedals, you'll be grateful when you finish the first one!

BR

Re: Zonk Machine, FZ-673, Tonebender MKI, just incredible!

JaviCAP
Administrator
Well, just to show you one of the best fuzzes that you con have_ Fuzz FZ-673.

The most close t have both a Zonk machine and a Tonebender MKI. I'm not very fond of "mojo" components, but this time... it really sounds the same that if  I had used multilayer  and radial caps,  but it looks really cool. Hope you like it:

Re: Zonk Machine, FZ-673, Tonebender MKI, just incredible!

zosotone
Bravo amigo! I'm making this one now in tagboard with OC72's and sounds nice too. I'm wonder about the trimmer doesn't do much between 8k2 to 10k.

Right now, I have about Q1 600ma, Q2 250ma, and Q3 220ma leaking but I'm gonna buy some and try any one with 800-900ma in Q1-

Do you think that it's more important a leaky on Q1 or Q2?

Cheers!

Re: Zonk Machine, FZ-673, Tonebender MKI, just incredible!

JaviCAP hasn’t been around here in a while sadly. Look what a beautiful build he has there..

I’m tempted to just say they’re all important and you’ll end up experimenting inevitably to find what you like. Try everything you got and let us know what works for you