buying parts in bulk

djsadowsk
i've built a couple pedals so far and in the past i've just been buying components as i need them specifically for each pedal but i want to start buying my components in bulk to save money and have more on hand so i don't have to wait for delivery, anyway my question is i've been looking on ebay at bulk components and some of them look to good to be true like 100 1n60 diodes for $3 shipped while others are much more expensive. is it ok to buy cheap parts like that? i would rather spend a little more and have better sounding pedals but at the same time i don't want to spend more on the same part if i don't have to

Re: buying parts in bulk

Beaker
In short, YES!

Anyone charging X dollars/pounds/euros for one diode when you can get 100 for the same price is just taking the p*ss.

Take a good read through the "Bargains" post at the top of the page, and save yourself a small fortune.

Re: buying parts in bulk

Absolutely. Ebay is your best friend, order as much as your wallet can handle  (although you won't end up spending all that much) and you probably won't need to again for the foreseeable future.

Re: buying parts in bulk

I've got serious OCD with parts and at first I stopped myself building anything until I had bulk stocks of everything.  I hated the idea of missing a single component and having to buy it specially and paying a premium for it.  So yes, at least for me bulk buying was the way to go to make sure I could build anything whenever I want.  As far as the sources go I can strongly recommend:

Everything
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/POLIDA-ELECTRICAL-H-K-LIMITED

Cheap IC's
http://stores.ebay.com/G-C-Supermarket-HK-Co-Ltd

Multilayer ceramic caps
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/tiaochongyi

Transistors
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/dpi4parts

Transistors
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kessler-electronic__W0QQ_sidZ75052199?_nkw=transistor*&submit=Suche

Mojo paper in oil and PETP caps
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KW-TUBES

Cheap electrolytics
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mainline-Electronics-Ltd/Capacitors-/_i.html?_fsub=15141557&_sc=1&_sid=97717606&_sop=10&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Panasonic caps
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyeste-capacitors-102-1000pf-1UF-63v-180pcs-/360624882883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6eb04c3

Great resistor kits
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220816924596
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320412554577

That lot should give you plenty of bulk buying to do!

Re: buying parts in bulk

djsadowsk
awesome, thanks so much that info might be helpful for others on a more public place on this site

Re: buying parts in bulk

Vince
Tayda are fantastic too. Especially for pots

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Re: buying parts in bulk

adstrum
I found this eBay store had plenty of bulk components, especially resistor and capacitor kits:

    http://stores.ebay.com.au/ictouchaustore

Re: buying parts in bulk

adstrum
Oh, and there's some cheap stuff you should avoid. Main things that come to mind are sockets, both 2.1mm DC and 6.5mm guitar sockets.