earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

tabbycat
thought i would make a first contribution as i have learned so much from this superb site (many thanks to mark and miro).
this is my first and only layout to date but you are welcome to try it. it sounds great and is a very easy build.

earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout by tabbycat

this is a smaller and better organised layout for the graphic fuzz than the one i posted in january at freestompboxes. the previously posted one is the same thing but that layout accommodated some ad-hoc component shift-arounds that came from trouble-shooting, so was not very tidy re caps bunched together and empty space etc. this is a smaller and tidier version of that. it is verified.

also, since you have to be a member to see schematics etc there, i thought i would post the rework here make it more accessible to anyone who wants to try it.

basically it's the earth sound research graphic fuzz as heard in this yt clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VEA6ivC1M

nocentelli at fsb was a great help (is always) and very much deserves credit for helping me troubleshoot.
also i couldn't even have attempted this if it wasn't for reading mark's superb 'from schematic to vero' article last summer: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/vero-layout-guide.html
which suddenly made the impossible seem possible. if you want to empower yourself re being able to design your own vero layouts from schematics then this is your start.
mark is like yoda with a soldering iron ('school you he will...').

will hopefully be back with more layouts soon as am branching into drone and noise circuits this summer, and there are lots of things i want to make that are currently only around as schematics. necessity the mother of invention, etc...

anyway, i hope you enjoy the graphic fuzz if you built it.

tabbycat.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Silver Blues
The cut under pin 1 can be moved one column to the right, the cut under pin 5 can be moved to the right two columns and the cut under pin 8 can be moved to the right one column. You'll then need to put a cut somewhere between pins 4 and 5. This eliminates the need to make cuts right under IC pins or *gasp* cut the legs off op-amps

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

tabbycat
Silver Blues wrote
The cut under pin 1 can be moved one column to the right, the cut under pin 5 can be moved to the right two columns and the cut under pin 8 can be moved to the right one column. You'll then need to put a cut somewhere between pins 4 and 5. This eliminates the need to make cuts right under IC pins or *gasp* cut the legs off op-amps
hey silver blues. am sure i know your username from elsewhere? i'm everywhere, like cat hair.

thanks for your suggestions re the layout. am relatively new to this but got help from wiser heads than mine at fsb re getting it to verified stage. but finesse is an ongoing consideration.

as to my rationale, though the cutting under odd unused pins may seem 'bold practice' it does serve a dual fail-safe purpose of not allowing me to accidentally solder an ic pin in that isn't actually part of the circuit. feral but fair.

re the cutting off of ic pins... i say cut, i mean bite.

actually there is a mod suggested by larsjm at fsb re taking the unused legs to ground:

"To get the most out of this pedal, you also need to install an offset null control for the 741. This can be done with a 10k linear pot connected to pins 1 and 5, with the wiper to ground. This gives you tons of control over the fuzz sound, and IMHO is more effective than the filter control. In fact, on mine I just leave the filter on full and tune it with the offset null control. Lots of great, gated, sputtery fuzz sounds there!"

but i haven't tried it. but that would be a reason to keep the pins available.

if it were any more than three pins on an eight pin chip then i think i would try to solder them down for stability and cut to remove from the circuit.
but i know where you are coming from and am glad for the feedback.

feral.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

ahh, so you are the same tabbycat i thought you were from FSB. i've followed the mods in that thread for awhile. i built the layout made by peeps, and it works perfectly, but have really been interested in being able to daisychain it, since the original you can't. i take it this is the modded version based on the schematic from induction right?

the idea of the null control is neat, but i do love the stock form. i know the self osculating and whistling is annoying for some, but that's the original design and is just freaking odd and awesome, IMHO. definitely love this freaking thing, it's earth shaking full CCW, and i love getting the whistling scifi space sounds and weird cocked wah sound as you turn the filter CW. poor design or not, it's unique and just.......just......great.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Yeah I'm on FSB and TalkBass under this username as well. I imagine it's from one of those places.

Yeah alright fair enough  I mean it works just fine your way, it's just fewer irreversible modifications. Yeah I've heard of that offset null mod with 741s, haven't seen it done much. It's a design feature I've been meaning to explore actually.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

anders
Thanks for the layout. I just finished it and I'm loving it. "Bad" circuit design or not, this shit is fun! Thick heavy fuzz galore. Love the eerie oscillation and with the strangle switch activated on my Jaguar things gets really wierd with sub ovtaves and and strong cocked wah notes. With a reverb and a phaser after it, you're in outer space for sure.
KT

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

KT
Hi! I built this one and I like it a lot! I also have the Blasteroid of Idiotbox. In both, when filter is maxed there is no sound. Is this normal?
Also in the idiotbox the cocked way can be more pronounced but in this one the fuzz is nicer. I'm using LM741CN

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

KT

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

KT
that offset null control wiring is like this:
IC1 to lug 1
IC2 to lug 3
Lug 3 potentiometer to ground

This way I can only tune the oscillation when not playing, not the character of the fuzz

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Synsound
I haven't tedted it yet but it's built. In an effort to have the option of standard or null control I did some re routing of pins 1 and 5. I used a soft and sent those IC points to lugs 1&4 ( one wire to each. I then connected lugs 2&5 to lug one of the null pot. Then lug 2 of the pot goes to ground. There may have been a simpler way but that's what I went with. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but plan to tonight.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Synsound
Turns out my idea was stupid. I misunderstood the null control. I have now sent the leads directly to the pot. One to each outer lug. That makes a good difference.

The level control seems weird. I get really insane sounds if I go past half way on it. It is extremely  interactive with the filter.

I haven't looked at the schematic  but the wiring for the volume seems odd compared to many others. Should it be lug 2 going to output?

synsound. not sure what kinds of insane sounds you're getting, but i can tell you the original does get spacey and fucked up. here's a video of it that got me interested, not sure if yours is doing things like this.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

tabbycat
Synsound wrote
Turns out my idea was stupid. I misunderstood the null control. I have now sent the leads directly to the pot. One to each outer lug. That makes a good difference.

The level control seems weird. I get really insane sounds if I go past half way on it. It is extremely  interactive with the filter.

I haven't looked at the schematic  but the wiring for the volume seems odd compared to many others. Should it be lug 2 going to output?
"To get the most out of this pedal, you also need to install an offset null control for the 741. This can be done with a 10k linear pot connected to pins 1 and 5, with the wiper to ground. This gives you tons of control over the fuzz sound, and IMHO is more effective than the filter control. In fact, on mine I just leave the filter on full and tune it with the offset null control. Lots of great, gated, sputtery fuzz sounds there!"

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22197&start=40#p245643

hey synsound, sorry to hear the offset null thing is tripping you up. have to say i haven't tried it yet but there are some interesting comments about implementing it in the above thread at fsb. above quoted comment being the one i had in mind for when i do eventually try it. it is quite a mad circuit and works in a very unconventional way, so applyinging logic that works with normal pedals to it may not yeild the same results because it is such a freak at heart.
but the thread is worth reading. also some interesting stuff about it at d*a*m.

re what it should sound like, the yt vid rocket posted is the reason i built it. that is a great demo vid.

it should basically sound like farting on an upside down plastic bucket while pulling faces with your mouth open and flicking your cheek with your finger. am pretty sure that's how the development team at esr pitched it to management back in the day.

i hope you crack it.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Synsound
Got the null working. Tried adding a true volume after the level pot as Induction mentioned in that thread. I took the output from the level pot to lug 3 of a volume pot. Then lug 2 of the volume pot to output. This jut seemed to further adjust the "noise". Is there another way to add a final master volume that would not affect the signal in other ways?
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

Synsound
Rocket, it delivers what Induction describes in the FSB thread but I don't really get the metallic sounds from the demo. It's an insane circuit and I think I'll keep it. There just isn't a lot of rhyme or reason for what it does. Everything is highly interactive and there is a wide variety of results. It's defiantly bad in a great way.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

zosotone
I've done the layout from the Tone Report 118:

This thing sounds amazing, it reminds me the IC Big Muff but more sweeter for me.

I thing that the volume it's massive, so I have put a standard volume pot after the level pot too but seems like sounds different with this master knob.
gul

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

gul
Daaaaamn, this thing is AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing, tabbycat. I almost don't even want to take the time to box it before I record with it.

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

heuermh
Thank you, zosotone, and tabbycat for the earlier layout!

I built this last layout and it sounds ridiculous.  Tried an old skool LM741 in a can but a UA741CN IC sounds better.
thg

Zosotone, is the SPST switch for bypass or something else?

Re: earth sound research graphic fuzz vero layout

zosotone
For bypass the null knob.
12