headphone amp + cabsim

Sensei Tim
i had a request from a friend to build a headphone amp and cabsim in a single enclosure.

I was thinking about the multicab sim into an MXR headphone amp.  Would this be overkill?  would the multicab have enough output to drive headphones on it's own?

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

notnews
You should use the search function here, there are plenty of cab sim and headphone amp options.

The cab sim feature can be taken in a ton of different directions depending on what sounds you're looking for.. there are dozens of options that are rooted in classic amp sounds, modern amp sounds, circuits with tubes, etc.

Re: the headphone amp, check out MAO's JamMix: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/JamMix-Headphones-Practice-Play-Along-Amp-td26681.html;cid=1464660835266-742#a28573 ..this is a pretty full-featured headphone amp with a bunch of stereo options.

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

motterpaul
I looked into this for quite awhile myself before I discovered I could buy an iRig for next to nothing and get amplitube for $5 and load it on an iPhone. It comes with a headphone jack, guitar input, and the software that allows you to get "marshall" tone and to play along with any song or backing track you may have loaded on your phone or iPod.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, I think it is a fun project. It is just that the iRig option is probably better than most things I could have built myself.

But that doesn't mean you should do it. In fact, I think it would be cool to have such a box that allows you to play through all your pedals into a speaker simulator along to a backing track - but through speakers as well as headphones.

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

Muadzin
motterpaul wrote
I don't mean to be a party pooper, I think it is a fun project. It is just that the iRig option is probably better than most things I could have built myself.
Of course it all depends on having an iphone. If not then your options will be a lot more limited as a lot of music app developers haven't caught on that there seems to exist something that's called android. In which case it becomes cheaper again to build your box.

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

Sensei Tim
This isn't for me. This is for someone local.  My guess is that they want something for late night practicing and maybe to run their pedal board directly into the PA? I have no clue. I did mention to them the iphone/ipad option but they didn't seem interested.

Muadzin: i think the reason why there aren't many/any android options is that the audio hw/processing on android phones has traditionally been significantly weaker than Apple's hw, tho i have heard rumours that the next gen of android phones will significantly close this gap.

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

motterpaul
I actually used an ancient iPod touch - the kind with about 100 MB of storage, but it works great. I got the "Slash" amplitube software, and the iRig software let's you play along with backing tracks.

Part of my message was that I would also make it so you can plug in a sound source so you can play along to things - backing tracks, etc.

It is just that for us - that is a combination of three different projects in one box, which gets pretty big. It's not a bad idea, just one of those things where it is hard to compete with what is already out there.

Re: headphone amp + cabsim

Sensei Tim
yeah i've already gone through this with the guy. he was very clear on what he wanted.