probably dumb capacitor questions

vick
if you used liberal substitution in capacitor values would you expect the circuit to not work or just sound different.  I obviously know nothing about circuit design, I know the resistors value "balance the circuit" somehow and it will not work if to far off.  I do not know if the cap values effect the balance or just the tone.

as an example if I subbed all capacitor to the nearest value to from a Monolithic capacitor value pack
10pf (100)
20pf (200)
22pf (220)
30pf (300)
33pf (330)
47pf (470)
100pf (101)
150pf (151)
200pf (201)
220pf (221)
330pf (331)
470pf (471)
680pf (681)
1nf (102)
2.2nf (222)
3.3nf (332)
4.7nf (472)
10nf (103)
22nf (223)
33nf (333)
47nf (473)
100nf (104)
150nf (154)
220nf (224)
330nf (334)
470nf (474)
1uf (105)
2.2uf (225)
4.7uf (475)
10uf (106)

for something like a big muff http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yOZDCUAs2rg/UR_LoOS8TVI/AAAAAAAAE58/rjKREvu3DLo/s1600/EHX+66+Triangle+Big+Muff.png

so 500p would be 470 p, 120n would be 100n, 4n would be either 3.3 of 4.7

would you expect it to work?

Re: probably dumb capacitor questions

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: probably dumb capacitor questions

Muffs are generally forgiving of component substitutions, especially ones so small as those you are contemplating. Heck, within reason, you can go to town with a Muff's component values (so long as the actual schematic stays the same) and it'll sound good. Experiment!

--Silvie

Re: probably dumb capacitor questions

vick
Thanks for the response,  I was just using the Muff as an example.

  I was really just asking if subbing capacitor values( to something reasonable close) would stop a circuit from working or just influence the sound.

I was expecting the answer to be "It depends" and suspected that it would not matter that much on Distortion, fuzz, overdrive type circuits and mattered more on trem, chorus type effects.  But like I said I do not know what I am talking about, which is why I asked.