quick question

aizenx
Hey guys,

I just have a super quick question. I am working on a maxon 808 kit and it came with a 2 prong DC power plug (I am used to working with the 3 prongs).

One leg is short and the other is long.  Which leg is the positive / negative?

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: quick question

Muadzin
Almost all pedals use center negative for ground these days. So take a DMM to measure which pin connects to the center tip. If you don't have a multimeter, GET ONE!!! You cannot build pedals without one.

Re: quick question

aizenx
Thanks for the reply. I'll measure with my multimeter.

Any tips on how to do this (i.e. dmm settings etc.)

Re: quick question

PMowdes

Put it on resistance mode (any one will do)

You should get an infinity reading with the probes not touching and Zero with the probes together.

Put the probe on the central pin and touch one of the contacts, if its the right contact it will read Zero, if it's the wrong one it will read infinity.

Re: quick question

aizenx
Awesome! Thank you so much for the help guys :)

Re: quick question

negativefx
Are those smaller than the standard tayda 3 lug jacks?

Re: quick question

yep. i've got a bunch of them for 1590a builds, but since i don't use batteries, i've been thinking of moving to them exclusively. they stick out a about 2x as much as the normal 3 lug ones we all use. i'll bring a few with me for you to check out when i see you in a few days.

Re: quick question

Muadzin
Together with a pair of smaller Lumburg jacks a DC jack like this allows you to do top mounts even on a 1590B. Tayda has a smaller three lug version too, but I would not get them. For some odd reason they're not shielded so the positive outside sleeve makes direct contact with the metal of the enclosure.

Re: quick question

I like how compact these DC jacks are but after breaking a few of them with normal use I'm not a big fan