signal loss after pedal use.

paulnoise
so i made a loop switch pedal from the diagram, using a 9v power supply rather than a battery. the problem i have is when i engage the pedal it is fine. when i dis engage the pedal, the output signal to about half. this does not happen every time. any ideas? oh, i used a 2k2 resistor rather than 4k7 i dont however think this would cause a problem as the power is only for the light. this is the only picture i have right now as im not near my pedal board.

Re: signal loss after pedal use.

Neil mcNasty
This post was updated on .
The resistor does not connect to the audio path and only sets the LED brightness.
So what is left is the Switch, The Jacks and the wiring.
My bet is: that you got a bad switch...

IMPORTANT: I see that you are using one of those patch "plugs" instead of the traditional patch cable.
GET THAT CRAP OFF YOUR PEDALBOARD!!!
That's like asking for trouble and it would not surprise me if that is where your problem is.

Why are these crap/to be avoided?
Almost all pedals have a slightly angled side (are never 90 degree angled), so when you have two pedals side by side, you plug it into one of the pedals and then you study how the jack is now pointing slightly upwards (no matter what you do). You see what I mean?
Well... now you are going to add the next pedal (which also is not perfectly 90 degree angled either, and also makes the patch-plug point upwards...)
So how do you now prevent the (next) pedal from putting a downwards pressure on the patch-plug that is coming out the previous pedal (bending it down, when it wants to point up), slowly weakening your pedal's jack plugs, and is guaranteed to break or weaken the patch plug.
So get it off your board before you do anything else...

Re: signal loss after pedal use.

Zanius
Neil seems to have a good point there.
Otherwise your problem is on the link that is on the switch or the switch itself. Make sure it's soldered properly.

Re: signal loss after pedal use.

Addy Bart
I recently encountered my first dodgy footswitch resulting in intermittent signal loss and loud popping when switching. Naturally it was the last thing I checked after days of trouble shooting and swearing at the pedal

Re: signal loss after pedal use.

Neil mcNasty
When looking at the picture, it does not seem like your pedals would put a lot of stress on the patch-plug, but I would eliminate it anyway, as they are notoriously faulty after being put under some stress.
I perfectly understand the idea behind them, but in my opinion they do not actually work in real life...

I suggest that these kind of patch solutions should be avoided at any cost, since they do not take the pedal shapes into consideration. (almost no pedal has a perfectly 90 degree angled side)
Therefore they are exposed to quite extreme pressure and bending, every time you stomp on the boxes.
It will not take a long time before they start failing...

When it comes to patch cables. I always buy factory produced patch cables with angled jacks (cheap ones in stock).
So far nothing I can do (or find) beats the quality and durability compared to price.
ALSO: Cheap switches from China is not always a good idea.
I learned the hard way, so now I'm "Bitches Love My Switches" all over... (sorry for promoting stuff here, but I just love the name/service/prices)

Re: signal loss after pedal use.

paulnoise
Hey guys. Thankyou all for your replies and sorry for the delay in posting this. The issue turned out to be the switch. I fixed it with switch cleaner.  I have patch cables on order too. :)