tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

Sensei Tim
So i'm looking at getting a small drill press.  While i'd love to get a proper press, space (and the wife) probably won't allow that. :)

I've seen a relatively compact table top drill press frame that was designed to be used with a dremel-type rotary tool.

I've never really used rotary tools before.... is the chuck big enough to be able to handle a uni-bit and larger drill bits?

Is a rotary tool (AC powered, no battery) strong enough to drill enclosures?  I'm using an 18V hand drill right now?

Cheers

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

Hozy31
I have a dremmel imitation by powerplus attached to a dremmel workstation for drilling PCBs and smaller holes but it can't hold bigger drill bits such as my step drill bit. The drill head just isn't wide enough. I bought a small silverline drill press for drilling enclosures. Its not too heavy so i tend to keep it out the way and lift it onto my workstation when i need it.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi mate. i've bought this one

http://www.offerscheck.co.uk/parkside-bench-pillar-drill/lidl/2015/kw-7/240314

and it's f^&*#$% awesome!!!!

dead chip and does more than i'll ever need in pedal building
it's not the smallest tool to have in the house, but i don't thing that you'll find any other smaller drill press that can drill enclosures, except something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Press-Bench-Drill-Stand-Repair-Tool-Workbench-Clamp-for-Drilling-Collet-35-43mm-/221959124718

but you'll lose in accuracy

Hey Savvas thats almost identical to my Silverline, probably made by the same company, cheaper in Lidl than Ebay though. It is awesome i totally agree. I found when using a handheld i just couldn't get the accuracy especially with a step drill bit.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

Sensei Tim
this is the press that i was considering:

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

No you won't get away with a Dremel type tool. Too small a collet (1/8"), so no way can you get a 1/2" drill in one.  The other problem is they run insanely fast, and you need a nice slow speed  for drilling big holes in aluminium.

Savvas and Hozy are right, one of the small pillar drills like in the link are what you need. I have a Clarke branded one that is very similar, and like the guys said, superb for the money, and useful for much more than pedal building. Set on the lowest speed, they have bags of torque, and all the control you need for accurate drilling.

Bite the bullet and buy one - you won't regret it.

Edit: the one in your photo is great for PCB drilling though!

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

If you're in the US the Harbor Freight benchtop drill press will probably be the best deal you'll find. Or look for a used one on craigslist

Sensei Tim

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

Harbor Freight has a few different sizes and the smallest one can't be much bigger than the Dremel jig. Unfortunately you aren't going to find anything considerably smaller than that (and you probably wouldn't want it smaller either).

So maybe just get a decent handheld drill which will still be better than the Dremel thing

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

Sensei Tim
I'm currently using an 18V DeWalt hand drill. it does the job, but when i'm using the unibit i can't hold the drill perfectly perpendicular to the surface and then i get an uneven hole.  Same when i'm drilling the in/out jacks and power adaptor holes on the sides.

drilling PCBs and veros is a pita with the hand drill tho.

Re: tool question: rotary tools & drilling enclosures

I see. The Dremel jig should be fine for PCBs but not for enclosures. Of course a drill press will be great for both purposes so it is more desirable.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a smaller drill press than the one Beaker linked. I was just looking at that same drill press on Monday and it really isn't very big. Do you have a measurement of the space you're trying to use this in? You may just be able to get away with that press