+ve ground and pedal board

A2Music
My friends,
I'm just trying to clarify the mystery of +ve ground. If I build a Fuzz Face (NPN) without a charge pump, can I put it in the signal chain but with a separate and dedicated power source without incident? My understanding is that one can't use the same 9v adapter because of the +/- discrepancy but I can still put the fuzz face in line with the signal going to my tube screamer. Please let me know if I'm still out to lunch.

Cheers!
Alex

Re: +ve ground and pedal board

Milkit
Your understanding is indeed correct!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: +ve ground and pedal board

Minor correction: NPN Fuzz Faces are negative ground and are no problem.  PNP Fuzz Faces are positive ground and require either a charge pump or a separate adapter.

A little more detail: The output connections of common DC adapters are isolated from the inputs (mains) by transformers (or optocouplers).  Thus the DC output floats and either side can be tied to ground without problem.

Re: +ve ground and pedal board

A2Music
Oops, that was an error. I meant PNP Fuzz Face with +ve ground. I guess my mistake really obscures the question though I still got my answer.

Thanks, everyone!