what was this BREAK / down time?

j-pee
like many, I was pretty concerned for weeks about this site...
today I even checked archive.org to see what would be available should this site be gone for good...

anyway, what was it? if it can be said publicly...

Peter

PS:
I just realize, looking at the topics' list that the site hasn't been down continuously...
maybe it wasn't down at all...
could it be that nobody even noticed it, cause it happened for short periods of time only, only when I wanted to connect? :)

Re: what was this BREAK / down time?

It was nothing serious. Nabble who host the forum were moving all of their sites onto a new server so we just had to prompt them that we wanted the site to stay live and they would then move it over to the new server and provide the updated URL.

It has given a timely reminder that we are very reliant on them continuing to offer the service as they do now. So I think at some point we need to look into alternatives so we have more control.

I’ve made forums in phpBB in the past (many years ago) but I’m not even sure what the latest and greatest forum is. Like I said it’s just something to consider in the future.

Re: what was this BREAK / down time?

Silver Blues
I definitely noticed and had a moment of grave concern while it was down... moving to a more current/supported forum architecture would definitely be prudent, I think. Especially since this forum has gotten quite big and full of people and content!

I know FSB recently moved/upgraded/something - perhaps whatever they're using now would be an option?

Re: what was this BREAK / down time?

I have a full backup of this but I think the problem will be finding a compatible forum we could host ourselves that can import all the old posts and embedded images.

I don't think we have too much to worry about in the near future with them recently moving to new servers, but I will keep my eye out for a good alternative that will give us more control and run it passed everyone when I find something I think could be suitable.

Sounds good to me, keep us posted!

Re: what was this BREAK / down time?

j-pee
great thing -- the full backup!

importing, in the future could be a big thing, but principally it is not very difficult...
only a parser should be written that reads the backup and can write it out in a new format...
so, having it is a great-great thing...

it took me some time to get used to correct that part of the urls to "238.s1" :)

this site is treasure...
culture...
even history
which is not only good for us., already in it, bit for others in the future who would like to explore this dimension of the music world...