Amp discovery!

1234567 ... 10

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
I was using a 9v high quality PS, would it sound different (in term of tonality) at higher voltage ?

Re: Amp discovery!

arkham00
Hi, can you help me with my questions on the last page pls?

Tnx

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
- It's always better to put it in a metal enclosure but if it's not noisy why not
- It's a switched jack, best thing to do is to plug a guitar jack in it and test the conections with your multimeter
- You can directly connect he output wires to the speaker

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74 wrote
I was using a 9v high quality PS, would it sound different (in term of tonality) at higher voltage ?
This guy!!

You need a 12-24V DC power supply, one that puts out a few amps so you don't have a voltage drop

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
That will certianly increase the output volume but will that change th tonal response ?

Re: Amp discovery!

Apparently, right??

What voltage are you measuring at the power supply when the amp is plugged into the power? These boards draw a lot more current than a typical stompbox. A normal stompbox power supply may have insufficient current, resulting in a voltage drop. So you may actually be considerably lower than 9V, even though that is obviously below the specified input voltage in the first place.

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
Apparently, right??
I have no idea it's the first time I use this board, hence my question

The PSU I used is 9VDC@1.5A, I'll check with my multimeter

FYI I know the input voltage required is 12-24VDC, I have such a PS that can supply up to 5A but need to replace it's 2.5mm dc jack with a 2.1 i just odered before I can safely use it. No need to be patronizing

Re: Amp discovery!

Well c'mon man if you have no idea then you could have asked us or at least let us know that you never tried testing it with the right type of power supply before declaring the project useless.

If you are still unsure, the answer is yes you need to use the correct power supply, and I do not say this to patronize you, although my last reply was intentionally smart-assed

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
This post was updated on .
Declaring the project useless ? Where did I write this ?
All I said is "Well, it won't be of any use for my taste."
Take a deep breath dude

Re: Amp discovery!

Ah I get it so you wrote that it is of no use but that doesn't mean it's useless. Like how they wrote that it takes 12-24V but they really meant 9-24V. Sometimes I interpret things too literally, my bad

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
Whatever pleases you...

Re: Amp discovery!

I'm just a person that can read the English language. Nobody is pleasing anybody.

Re: Amp discovery!

Chris mudd
Assuming I could get the appropriate power to each of them, What do you all think of putting t tonemender in front of this and packaging them in a box?

Chris

Re: Amp discovery!

That aughta work fine as a preamp. It will probably sound very clean and uncompressed, kinda really solid state if you will.

Re: Amp discovery!

Chris mudd
Any suggestions for a pre-amp that wouldn't be as sterile as you describe?

BTW- I bought "Electronic Projects for Musicians" 20 years ago and wasn't able to build anything until I found this forum, I am having a BLAST!!!!

THANKS!

Chris

Re: Amp discovery!

Kinski
My preference would be to put a nice very low gain drive in front as a preamp. One that can get clean to a bit distorted. Kind of like a nice tube amp. But again, thats just my preference.

Re: Amp discovery!

There's a bunch of preamps on the main page and forum that are FET conversions of tube amps. Personally I'd find one that based on an amp you like and go that direction. I basically did that with my mini model t, and have 4 more mini amps in the works using the same concept.

Re: Amp discovery!

Chris most of us have been pairing this with some type of amp emulation or overdrive circuit from the main page.

For example, if you want a blackface Fender type thing, maybe try the Wampler Black 65, if you want a Vox type thing, maybe try the Catalinbread or BJFE etc

I’ve tried mine with a few different preamps from the site and it works great. I recommend using something that can have a fair amount of clean headroom for the best interaction with other stompboxes

Re: Amp discovery!

alltrax74
The JC120 is a great clean sounding preamp, I built it and played it through my ruby amp, very nice
I power it with 9V, no problem, but I guess you could get more headroom with higher voltage

Re: Amp discovery!

Sensei Tim
That's exactly what i'm doing:  JC120 and some other goodies ;)

just waiting for my amp to be delivered :)
1234567 ... 10