Amp talk

mirosol
Administrator
We have to have this too.

Main: Marshall JCM800 2205 head + 4x12 original cab and Laney VC15-110 as circuit test environment.
+m
fyaelectronics.com

Re: Amp talk

Milkit
Ah yup!  I'm a bit of a fucker for swaps & chops!  Currently rocking an Ampmaker PP18 with home made & covered chassis cabinet. My woodwork is not ideal, but serves as a function.

They're fantastic Amps & LOUD too!

I used their SA-5 as my test rig amp until the summer, (fell on harder times & it had to go :0( not a decision I was happy about)

I also have a Marshall lead 100 MOSFET, which for me are fantastic amps once you've put some effort into figuring them out.

And I have a Marshall 30 lead combo (MOSFET again I think) that I have in my office, just in case work can do one & I can rock!!

It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Amp talk

Engl Thunder with Marshall 1 x 12 cab (G12T-75) or 2 x 12 home made cab (2 x G12T-75's) and also have a V30 which I experiment with sometimes.

Marshall 6101 - 30th Anniversary combo.  Excellent and extremely loud little amp.  11 tubes to maintain gets annoying pretty quickly though!

VHT Special 6 Ultra

Peavey Bandit 112 which I've owned for 22 years

I also had a Mesa Boogie F50 but it really isn't a house friendly amp, it didn't sound very good at low volumes.  You also need to push the power section or the signal sent through the loop is weak which again meant it had to be pushed it to levels which would only be suitable for a gigging musician.  Oh and the reverb was awful tinny sounding dross.

Re: Amp talk

Milkit
I always wanted a Mesa amp, until I actually bought one. It was only a studio 22+ combo, 30w I think. Flaming dog awful thing, void of any nice tones, but crazy loud!

On 18 Jan 2013, at 08:52, "IvIark [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Engl Thunder with Marshall 1 x 12 cab (G12T-75) or 2 x 12 home made cab (2 x G12T-75's) and also have a V30 which I experiment with sometimes.

Marshall 6101 - 30th Anniversary combo.  Excellent and extremely loud little amp.  11 tubes to maintain gets annoying pretty quickly though!

VHT Special 6 Ultra

Peavey Bandit 112 which I've owned for 22 years

I also had a Mesa Boogie F50 but it really isn't a house friendly amp, it didn't sound very good at low volumes.  You also need to push the power section or the signal sent through the loop is weak which again meant it had to be pushed it to levels which would only be suitable for a gigging musician.  Oh and the reverb was awful tinny sounding dross.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.n6.nabble.com/Amp-talk-tp89p94.html
To unsubscribe from Amp talk, click here.
NAML
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Amp talk

Vince
I think I've been through them all... Orange, Peavey, Blackstar etc.. but I always seem to crawl back to Marshall.. I have the latest Marshal DSL 15 combo (Heritage greenback). Fantastic amp for home use, You can crank it without bringing the house down. And with an SG into, well... sonic bliss for me..

Re: Amp talk

Ooh I haven't seen the DSL15, that interests me.  I think I'll go and have a look

Re: Amp talk

I must say that I don't think another Mesa amp with be on my "to get" list any time soon.  I do think they make some great amps, but definitely gigging amps based on my experiences.

Re: Amp talk

Milkit
Indeed, I concur.
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Amp talk

Vince
It's a nice little amp, Mark. It sounded like crap when I first fired it up. I was gutted. I think it just needed an hour of breaking in. The original speaker is nice too, I just had a Greenback from a cab that decided to throw in there. The only thing I would say is that the gain is insane on it.. I never go past 12. I would of liked it to be a smoother sweep but the clean channel crunches up so I suppose that covers the lower gain range.

Re: Amp talk

Madferret
I'm getting pretty bad amp envy here, no huge stack for me as I don't really do any gigging and I test my girlfriend's patience enough with all the crazy stuff I come home with.  I bought a Fender Blues Junior II a few years ago and it's been a great amp for what I need, nice break up at a house friendly volume, nice sounding reverb, sounds good with effects and it didn't cost a fortune.  There's a ton of mods that can be done to it but I've never plucked up the courage to start messing with it, I've had it for 3 years now though so I guess it's time to reach down and find a pair and see what I can do with it.

Re: Amp talk

mirosol
Administrator
For some strange reason i like Mesa and Marshall high-gain amps - And just because their clean channels are awesome. :)
+m
fyaelectronics.com

Re: Amp talk

Milkit
Indeed!  Get yourself involved!

Matt.

On 18 Jan 2013, at 11:11, "Madferret [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm getting pretty bad amp envy here, no huge stack for me as I don't really do any gigging and I test my girlfriend's patience enough with all the crazy stuff I come home with.  I bought a Fender Blues Junior II a few years ago and it's been a great amp for what I need, nice break up at a house friendly volume, nice sounding reverb, sounds good with effects and it didn't cost a fortune.  There's a ton of mods that can be done to it but I've never plucked up the courage to start messing with it, I've had it for 3 years now though so I guess it's time to reach down and find a pair and see what I can do with it.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.n6.nabble.com/Amp-talk-tp89p115.html
To unsubscribe from Amp talk, click here.
NAML
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Amp talk

Madferret
Yeah, one thing I've been meaning to do since I realised what the problem was is to replace the volume pots with log ones, as standard fender fits linear pots which obviously means only the first fraction of the pot is useable and makes it really hard to set the volume correctly.  After that I've been looking at replacing the caps and it's probably about time I replaced the tubes with a new set.

Re: Amp talk

alltrax74
Marshall JCM-1H & Marshall DSL-1H, gotta love those 1 watters
And a Vox AC15HW1

Re: Amp talk

Freppo
This post was updated on .
I have many amps... But they are all useful now and then in my studio.

Peavey Classic 30 - Underrated amp IMO. But the stock speaker sucks.
Replaced the stock speaker with an Jensen C12N. I made a world of differance!

Marshall JMP 2203 100w head (-81) + 4x12 cab with two Eminence GB128 and two WGS greenback clones in x" configuration. Great amp, classic Marshall sound. Loud as hell.

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1x12 combo. Thinking about selling this one actually, gets very little use.

A Fender Silverface Bassman 50w head (-68) + 2x12 cab with two Eminence Cannabis Rex. Best clean sound ever, amazing amp really.

VOX AC15 C1 combo with a Greenback speaker. Love it. Replaced the stock reverbtank.

Orange Tiny Terror head + two 1x12 DIY cabs with a Greenback in one and a Vintage 30 in the other.

Peavey VT Classic 2x12 50w combo. Quirky amp with built in phazer that I found in a dumpster(!). Sounds really cool. Loaded with a Eminence The Wizard and Eminence The Governor

Epiphone Valve JR head + 1x15 DIY cab with an very old unmarked Jensen speaker.

Orange micro Terror + 1x8 DIY cab. My main home-bedroom level/test-rig. Cutest thing ever, and sounds good too. Just traded my Blackstar HT-1r head for the Micro Terror a few days ago. Didn't like the Blackstar.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Amp talk

Ross
From the low-end department:
Mid-80s Gallien-Krueger 400RB into a Hartke 4x10 of the same vintage. I wouldn't trade this rig for anything, it just has the most perfect sound. It growls and bites like a good tube amp, but has the transient response of a solid state amp. Perfection.  The only problem is that it's not very loud (especially with loud drummers).

Re: Amp talk

Milkit
Sweet!  Stupidly some my 210 RD about 4 months ago, but I got a good price considering what I paid for it. Loved that amp & would definitely buy another!

On 18 Jan 2013, at 16:37, "Freppo [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Epiphone Valve JR head + 1x15 DIY cab with an very old Jensen speaker.

Orange micro Terror + 1x8 DIY cab. My main home-bedroom level/test-rig. Cutest thing ever, and sounds good too.

On the lookout for a musicman amp...

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.n6.nabble.com/Amp-talk-tp89p154.html
To unsubscribe from Amp talk, click here.
NAML
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Amp talk

Jon the Art Guy
my "to do" list is pretty much all I have right now. I have a modded Epiphone Valve jr with tone controls and multiple voicing mods from Bitmo on it, run into an Eminence AlNiCo 12...but that's at my dad's house and also far too loud for my current life. Yea, a 5 watt amp with a relatively low-output speaker is just too loud for me right now. I would LIKE to own a Frenzel Deluxe+, which is an oddball little dual-voiced amp, or a Carvin Nomad or Belair, which have a very sexy 4x6v6 power stage, fx loop that can bypass the preamp, and wonderful saggy tone.

What my setup will probably end up being is scratchbuilt pedals and effects > scratchbuilt cab sim > my P.A. amp. Considering the amazingly varied and beautiful sounding amp-in-a-box pedals you guys have veros for, I think this is the easiest possibility for me. All I really want to do is add a compress/od/sag pedal that would come from a power amp stage in between.

If the concept is good enough for Tosin Abasi (granted, he's using an Axe-FX, but he runs it straight into a powered P.A. speaker), it's good enough for me.

Re: Amp t

agitprop
Again, I am a goofy n00b, who had bad GAS for a couple of years.  Please try not to judge me for accumulating the following, before I grasped that practice far outweighs gear. . .

1954 Fender Pro (JAN Philips 7581A power and RCA preamp tubes)
1964 Vibrolux Reverb (7581A and Mullard glass)
Straub Cantus ('68 plexi 50W, with Tesla EL34 power and RCA preamp)
Mesa Boogie Mark IV (Imbuya wood)
Vox AC4tv, modded with Mercury Magnetics kit, Mullard EL84, and Celestion Gold
Fender Champion 600, modded with Mercury Magnetics kit

I mostly play the '54 Pro and Straub Cantus.  Currently modding the Vibrolux Reverb: cutting new baffle, to hold original Jensen C10N and a 1965 Jensen C12N.  Think it will be a really nice-sounding VR when done.  (Keeping all stock parts, so it can be returned to original glory.)

While I am blathering about amps. . . If you ever see a Straub Cantus for sale, definitely check it out.

Re: Amp t

Dave
I have one and only, a ZT Lunchbox, small, lovely cleans, takes pedals like drugs and enough power to knock your proverbial socks off!
Cheers
Dave
1234