Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
This post was updated on .
The layout works, I traced it myself but am way too cross-eyed at this point to make a schematic. Was a little confused as the 2N2222A (marked as 2N 2222 A 331 on the transistors) are TO-92 plastic, but the ones I have a metal cans?!? I ended up using 2N3904 and they made it way too beefy sounding and noisier than the original, so it probably need some TO-92 2N2222A's.

Demo video

COMPACT LAYOUT ADDED 05/10/2018---COMPACT LAYOUT VERIFIED 11/10/2018

OLD Layout

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

anders
Thanks for this, good job!
I can draw schematic for this.
This one went high on the list, really admire John Lyons work.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
anders wrote
Thanks for this, good job!
No problem
anders wrote
I can draw schematic for this.
That would be great, thanks.
anders wrote
This one went high on the list, really admire John Lyons work.
Yeah, I love his pedals, I have the originals of this one, Zippy and a Scarab Deluxe, all of them great pedals. And of course the demo videos he makes are just superb.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

anders

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Mulekicker
Thank you! Love Basic Audio!

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
Thanks

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
Okay, I just socketed Q1 & Q2 and tried some low gain (173 & 177 hFE) 2N2222A TO-18 metal cans in there (don't ask why I didn't try that first) and it is a huge improvement to the 2N3904, it's not as beefier and alot less noisy, it sounds more like the original (I didn't have 3.6K & 20K resistors so I used 3.9K & 22K, don't know if that is enough to make a slight difference in sound).

So any low gains transistors will work best for Q1 & Q2.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Mulekicker
Just built this with metal can 2222's for q1 and q2. This pedal is really great. Super versatile. Thanks!

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
Mulekicker wrote
Just built this with metal can 2222's for q1 and q2. This pedal is really great. Super versatile. Thanks!
No problem. I love it, been fooling around with it when I made the layout and yes, it's a very versatile fuzz. I was going to buy more than this, the zippy and scarab deluxe but they're very expensive where I'm from, so I'm just hoping someone who has some of the other BA effects will trace theirs and share.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Mulekicker
I have a BA Scarab. I really like John Lyons and was considering getting a Gnarley FUZZ. If I do, I'll for sure look under the hood.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
So I decided to have another go at making a new layout for this as I didn't like all the empty space in the first layout, and I managed to shave off 5 columns and make use of the empty space. When I made the trace I basically just used the blank board in DIYLC and made the trace mask, and then added components and started connecting them, and then I made the layout for the vero without the schematic drawn. I used the schematic this time and it made it alot easier so thanks again anders for helping with that.

Anyways, I'll leave the old one up for now.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Great job guys

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
aelling wrote

And... Another little update on the compact layout as I found place for the in/output wires on the board rather than the pots.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
aelling wrote
And... Another little update on the compact layout as I found place for the in/output wires on the board rather than the pots.
Damn, just when you think you're done you find something else you can move around and make it even smaller. Got it down to 14x11, I think that's as tight as I can get it.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Sphere80
This post was updated on .
I just built the compact layout. Thanks, this is pretty high gain. It's the most intense of the Fuzzrite types I've built.

Since so many people here have the Scarab, could you please clarify if your versions use the full Big Muff tone stack w/ 8n2 cap, or only half for a low pass. Most internal shots show 5 film caps, thanks.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
My Scarab Deluxe has 5 film caps, from the schematic I found I guess that's the full BMP tone stack.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
Sphere80 wrote
Since so many people here have the Scarab, could you please clarify if your versions use the full Big Muff tone stack w/ 8n2 cap, or only half for a low pass. Most internal shots show 5 film caps, thanks.
After my findings with the Zippy, I'm going to have another look today at the Scarab Deluxe to see if all components match to the schematics.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Sphere80
I appreciate it, aelling.  On this this tracing thread, where you could clearly see a 5th (8n2?) cap, John insists it should have 4 and only be a low pass:
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14396&start=20

 Storyboardist has 2 layouts on his blog. The first uses full Muff tone stack but he says it was conjecture based on the Hot Silicon. His second layout is from a pedal he traced himself, and that one is half a Muff tone stack.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

aelling
Sphere80 wrote
I appreciate it, aelling.  On this this tracing thread, where you could clearly see a 5th (8n2?) cap, John insists it should have 4 and only be a low pass:
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14396&start=20

 Storyboardist has 2 layouts on his blog. The first uses full Muff tone stack but he says it was conjecture based on the Hot Silicon. His second layout is from a pedal he traced himself, and that one is half a Muff tone stack.
Well, it's a good thing you brought this up cause mine does indeed not have a 8n2 cap to ground in the tone stack as John mentions. There are a couple other errors/additions so I'm going to draw a schematic and make a new vero layout for it.

So, thank for asking about this Sphere, I wouldn't have looked at it because there are many layouts for it already and I figured they where correct.

Re: Basic Audio Spooky Tooth

Marbles
Hi!

I know this has been ages, but do you have any idea what the voltages should be? I'm debugging, but it's sounds really misbiased and gated. That is undoubtedly a build error, but didnt found it yet. I used 2 metal cans 2n2222A and a 2N5089 (tested hfe 330 and 540) , but no change.

If you have an idea I would appreciate it. But I can understand if you don't haha
12