Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
I wanted to request these a while ago, but thought maybe they might be a little bit big to be worth doing on vero. I'm not an expert, so I can't tell for sure.

After seeing your recent Clone Theory layout, I thought maybe one or both of these would be worth a pop.

I've wanted to build something based on the CE-2 or the Ross chorus for a while now. I like the Ross better, but it's based on the CE-2 as far as I know, so maybe you could get similar results by playing with this circuit. I think perhaps other "boutique" companies have based pedals on the Ross too.

Anyway, here's the links. Lemme know what you think!

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Chorus/BOSS%20CE-1.jpg

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Chorus/BOSS%20CE-2.pdf

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

MrTondo
You can find a layout bij Harald Sabro for the CE-2 here: http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=3739

Also a tap-tempo version is available: http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=4262

Hope that helps a bit
My heart can go where my head can't fit.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
Wow, I've never seen this site before. Thanks a lot!

I'll check that out now, looks fairly mean with it's 61 cuts and 25 jumpers!

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

Heath
It's a job, true, but worth it.  I built it from Sabro's layout and I love it to pieces.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
At least it doesn't have much going on off-board!

Do you possibly have a picture you could show of the build? Just so I can see what size of enclosure you've got it in and how it fits and what-not.

If you don't have a picture, then just any info about the build would be appreciated!

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

alltrax74
Or you could get the PCB from Tonepad which should save you a headache

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

alltrax74 wrote
Or you could get the PCB from Tonepad which should save you a headache
That's what I'd do
Well Madbean rather than Tonepad but same result

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
Anywhere that has a board for it in the UK or at the very least, the EU?

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

alltrax74
You should easily find someone in the UK to etch a pcb from the pdf file

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

The Madbean Pork Barrel is $14.50 delivered which at the current rate of exchange is £8.59 and you'll have it in 3 or 4 days.  I doubt you'd pay less and get it as quick if you ordered from the UK.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

johnk
I built one with all of the tonepad mods and it's an awesome chorus.

pics:

verified vero layout:

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

alltrax74
And it's an awesome build John, as always, and thanks for the layout

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
Yeah, I know the deal with the exchange rate and stuff, but occasionally Her Majesty likes to stick an import tax on things coming from outside of her green lands.... Years ago when I first thought about getting into the DIY stuff, I ordered a kit from General Guitar Gadgets for £30 and had to pay an import tax of £36, which made the whole thing a bit of a waste of money.

It'd probably be alright because I'm assuming they will just put the board in an envelope or something.

John, that is a lovely build. What kind/size of enclosure is that?

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

I've never been charged duty and/or VAT for any boards I've bought from Madbean.  And you're only liable if the item's value exceeds £15 so it would definitely be VAT and duty free, and the post office can't charge you their criminal handling fee unless they have paid the VAT and duty on your behalf.  So basically you won't pay any more than you'll pay Brian by Paypal.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
Ah, that's great. Thanks for the confirmation Mark!

I might still tackle this one with vero, but either way; I'll be checking the madbean site a lot more thoroughly now that I know I'm not going to have any kind of unexpected tax (aka theft) costing me a fortune!

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

johnk
inefficiency wrote
John, that is a lovely build. What kind/size of enclosure is that?
thanks. it's a factory powdercoated textured black Hammond 1590BB.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

inefficiency
Cool. I thought it might be a 1590BB, but I've never used one before so I wasn't sure.

The LED is pretty sweet as well.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

Fight
John, long time ago, but did you have any problems with ticking noise according to your layout? And thanks for sharing this.

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

thewool
The vero posted above has an error in it. I built it and it didn't work then realised its just the Sabro one, with an error:

So, its now properly verified. Over 6 years later!

Re: Boss CE-1/CE-2

j-pee
thank you