CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

jsetov
Hey, just two quick questions. Are all the grounds connected or do certain ones of them have to get connected to the daughter board. I had figured they all were common, but since this build will not work at all for me, I thought I would ask. Also is the cathode end of the rate LED grounded as well?

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
all grounds are connected together.
and the - end of the led connects to ground too.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

jsetov
Thanks John. I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately a whole lot of trouble shooting is about to commence...

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
well, it's a big circuit so there's lots of room for error.
I've built 3 of them now and they've all worked and sounded great.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

jsetov
My guess is that i've got a bad IC. I'm pretty sure it will come out fine with a little bit of testing. It definitely  gives confidence that you've had good luck with multiple builds of this. I'm just really excited to get it working because i've wanted one of these for a while now.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Vin69Nik
Hi John,
What a great build and it sounds so great. Just listened to your "demo" on soundcloud, I really want to build it.

Just a few questions:
- what kind of leds did you use (for the vactrols), yellow diffuse 5mm like Ivlark ?
- the blue 6n8 and 1µ caps, are multilayer cream, right; where did you get them ?
- the 3k6 resistor on the far right, is it a carbon comp ?
- is there any particular reason you used 2 JRC4558D (IC 2&5) and 4 different one (unreadable type on the picture) ? The original has 6 RC4558P if I'm not mistaken.

I've already successfully built a few veros (ecstasy, doomidrive and quantum mystic) but this one is really big, quite scary. So many possible mistakes...

If I could I'd rather build it on a pcb, but there's still a layout to create !

Thanks for posting this one.

Vincent

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
Vin69Nik wrote
Hi John,

Just a few questions:
- what kind of leds did you use (for the vactrols), yellow diffuse 5mm like Ivlark ?
i didn't use leds, I used three VTL5C3-2's.

Vin69Nik wrote
- the blue 6n8 and 1µ caps, are multilayer cream, right; where did you get them ?
they're TDK MLCC caps from Mouser

Vin69Nik wrote
- the 3k6 resistor on the far right, is it a carbon comp ?
that's the only type of 3K6's that i had in stock when building it.

Vin69Nik wrote
- - is there any particular reason you used 2 JRC4558D (IC 2&5) and 4 different one (unreadable type on the picture) ? The original has 6 RC4558P if I'm not mistaken.
i was low on RC4558P's when i built it, but have since replaced them all with RC4558P's but it sounds exactly the same anyway.

Vin69Nik wrote
- I've already successfully built a few veros (ecstasy, doomidrive and quantum mystic) but this one is really big, quite scary. So many possible mistakes...

If I could I'd rather build it on a pcb, but there's still a layout to create !
i would too but i wasn't etching PCB's yet so i just drew up the vero for it.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Vin69Nik
Thanks John.
That's really nice of you to give your answer in such a detailed manner.
I do appreciate !

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

motterpaul
I had noticed someone (I think mklec) was selling extra large VERO a couple months ago, so I got 10 already. Just saw this today. I have been wanting a Mutron as well. I think I have to try this out.  It has a really nice symmetry to it, and while it has a lot of links it isn't full of components.

Great to see it worked the first time - congratulations - all I need are the Vactrols

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Pay2Play
Hi John,

Just wondering if you could please clarify a section in the layout.

I just noticed the bottom layout (with the cuts & links) doesn't match the top layout.

I'm just a bit confused which is the right one to use.

Thanks for your time

Michael

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
This post was updated on .
that was an earlier one with an error. it has since been updated so please remove that pic to avoid confusion.
thanks for catching that.

here's the corrected one (UPDATED AND FIXED):

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Le Gibus
Hello Johnk,

Thank you for sharing your build.

I was wondering why did you add a cap of 220uf (near D2) while it's not in the pictures of your build and neighter on the shematic ?

Thank You and Best Regards

Gilbert

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Silver Blues
Looks like a filter cap for the negative voltage rail.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
yep. it helps reduce ticking in the LFO.
gul

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

gul
Can a different inverter be used? I have a feeling I have a faulty LT1054, and I don't have another to test.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

johnk
aishabag wrote
Can a different inverter be used? I have a feeling I have a faulty LT1054, and I don't have another to test.
you can use a 7660S in its place.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

Muadzin
Shittantum Dominum!

When I see this monster I'm glad I bought those 1590B sized boards of kgull on the Madbean forum. It's an awesome sounding phaser, probably the best I've ever built, but I'm sure as hell not going to try to build it on vero.
gul

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

gul
Good to know, thanks John.

One more question, if you don't mind. On the layout of the 9v inverter daughter board, which of the two +9v leads goes to the main board? I've never used one of these before, I want to make sure I get it right and don't fry anything.

Thank you!
gul

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

gul
Muadzin, that kgull board is awesome. I built one, too. Wish I had bought a few. It fired right up on the first try. Great-sounding clone IMO. However, this layout of John's with the vactrols was too tempting to pass up... Even though it's definitely the largest vero I've tried to assemble so far.

Re: CRAZY HUGE VERO!

I built both the kgull board, Mark's vero, and I also got an original Mutron Phasor II.

The kgull board rules.. Tiny quick build and sounds pretty spot on to the original. The original sounds slightly different but it's hard to describe, and it's so close the difference is negligible.

The giant vero was frustrating for me.. All of the links and cuts took forever for me and nothing I do with it seems to remove the LFO tick. Don't have any tick with the kgull board or original, so I suspect something about that vero is susceptible to ticking issues or I just fucked it up somehow. Most likely I fucked it up somehow, but with the advent of the kgull board I'm really not tempted to go back and try the vero again
1234