Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
This post was updated on .
 I used Harald Sabro's Cut OC-2 vero layout but then made it a little smaller so I could fit it into a 1590B. it just seemed to me that a larger enclosure would be kinda silly for a pedal that only has two knobs and a footswitch. anyway, the pedal sounds great, and since I use mine with a bass, I definitely don't need the additional circuit for the two octaves down control.
with 48 cuts, 26 links, two jumpers, two transistors and three 14 pin chips it was a pretty extensive build, but it worked perfect the first time that I fired it up.

pic of the internals:

I haven't labeled it yet but here's the external pic:

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

adstrum
Nice work, John.

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
thanks!
got it labeled now so this baby is done.

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

GoranP

Man, I really need to get that labelmaker!
This looks awesome!

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
quick clip of it with my p bass thru a 2x15 cab:

http://soundcloud.com/johnk_10/oc-1

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Pipes
Wow, that looks really clean and awesome! Nice work?
How'd you do the labels?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

toddvirgil
That's a nice looking pedal (as always!) -- I was thinking about building his OC2 -- what do you mean by "Cut" version? I couldn't find that on his site? What's the dif between that and the stock OC2?

That Red fresnel is a nice touch by the way -- did you pick that up at Mouser?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
cut version means the 2nd octave down parts of the circuit was cut out.

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

rooo
Nice build!

Can't find the layout either.

Any chance you could post your layout?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
actually, I based mine off of this one (only i made it 21 columns wide instead of 25):

http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=12270&sid=fe0b918196bc282560fe6d52025f6ad8&mode=view

so mine ended up like this with cut corners to fit in a 1590B:

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

toddvirgil
Thanks Boss! (No pun intended.)

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

rooo
Great layout!

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Kinski
Finally starting to work on this pedal. I got the board cut and ready to be populated.
I'm gonna tack a One-Knob Fuzz variant on the end that can be switched on or off.

Should be a nice addition to my other octave pedals: Micro Pog, Robot Devil, Foxx Tone Machine.

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Kinski
Well, its done. Simplified OC-2 into a switchable Colorsound One-Knob Fuzz. Sounds really incredible. I LOVE octave pedals!

Thanks to Harald (SabroTone) for the OC-2 layout. Thanks to johnk for modding the layout to a smaller size. And thanks to mirosol for the fuzz layout!

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Kinski
Hmmm...i was using this thing a bit more today, and i just noticed that im getting some high pitched oscillation when using the fuzz with any of the knobs past unity. This was certainly not happening when unboxed.

I moved some wires around which helped a bit but its still a problem. Any suggestions?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Kinski
Okay, seems if I put a buffer before the pedal, oscillations are gone. So I guess i'll cram a small buffer in the box, at the input.

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Kinski
Well, I put a Klon buffer in there and it did not work. Which is weird. Buffers cure the problem outside the box, but not in it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

Neur0
Hi John,
In your gutshot pic I noticed the 1u elco above the top 10nf cap being one hole to the right compared to the vero layout. I just finished mine and all it does is distort when I open the octave pot. Sounds like a great distortion btw :) But is this a fault in the layout?

Re: Cut Boss OC-2 (single octave down version)

johnk
I doesn't matter if it's one column to the right since both the positive and negative connections are on the same rows.
12