Darkglass VMT!

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Ohhhh okay yes now I see what you mean about the cut, when I read "under the 4049" I thought you meant literally underneath it  I'll fix that up. Also about the yellow resistor, I'm aware it's 10K in the schem but reports from people in the FSB thread and also from my look over the PCB indicate that it should indeed be 100K. And about the purple capacitor, it actually has no value in the schematic (C28):

And after having looked at the PCB it does seem to be 220p, which makes sense as 100nF would be essentially impossible (part of a feedback loop low pass filter).

Fixed layout:

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
anyway! i'm happy we did it!
i was looking all this time at the first schem at fsb
http://freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=25472&sid=53e4e742fc95ae1eee88b24ff2b4485c&mode=view
it still says 100n. it's not a big deal anyway!
i haven't read that comment for the resistor...tomorrow all make those changes and reside
cheers!

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Yeah absolutely! So this is all verified then?! That's awesome, finally. Ah yeah, I'm looking at the schematic that's a bit further up in that same thread. Oh well about the capacitor, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try them both.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
just a small update, i boxed it and it was popping like crazy. i've put a 100k pulldown resistor from output to ground on the 3pdt and now it's almost gone. maybe it had to do with some bad component i used in my build, but i thought i should post it..cheers and happy new year

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Hmm I could put a pulldown on the layout, there's loads of space on the board to do so. Nevertheless that's fantastic, thanks a bunch Savvas. I'll post this over at FSB once I hear back from you on this.

EDIT Added pulldown resistor to above layout.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hey guys!
does anyone know which is the best way to make this bassier?
the more i (and a bass player friend of mine) play with this, the more we think it's way too bright....it has that tube like taste, but it cuts most of the low frequencies..
thanks
Savvas

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
attention! there is a mistake on this schematic, so there is a mistake on the layout too...
the circuit round tone control, should be like a big muff's tone control..from c21 we should go to era pin3 and from era pin2 to the 10k resistor.

i've build the first layout from here, and it worked, but didn't sound as good as in the demos. my friend sent it back to me to see if i can make it bassier, and then i saw that the tone control part was similar to a B.M.'s. i immediately made the changes i suggested above and boom! sounds great! after that, i've build 2 more boards with an other layout i drew that allows a 1590b. i will upload the layout asap.(it's in an other pc)

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Thanks for that one Savvas, mind updating the FSB thread with that layout as well?

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
yes mate! no problem!! we did a nice work here! i highly recommend this build! it's a fantastic drive!

Re: Darkglass VMT!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
here you go!

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Thanks my friend  and excellent work indeed! This one just climbed a little higher in my already large build queue.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Hozy31
Hey Savvas, just built one from your vero layout, its really good. Like the way the controls interact well to give lots of different sounds and tones, really versatile. By the way Depth 1 & 3 are the wrong way round and Drive 2&3 should be changed to 1&2. Apart from that awesome and thanks for the layout. A special thanks to Silver Blues for his work on this .
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
Awesome and thank you sir!! It was a team effort really so thanks to everyone who contributed haha.

Re: Darkglass VMT!

GrooveChampion
Pardon my ignorance, but will there be a version with the XLR out?

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
You could add it yourself for sure, using a line driver layout (there are a couple available).

Re: Darkglass VMT!

GrooveChampion
Wait, why is the EQ section missing?

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Silver Blues
I think you are thinking of the Vintage Deluxe, which this is not. This schematic and layout are for the OG Vintage Microtubes:

Re: Darkglass VMT!

GrooveChampion
Oh, well great work either way and knowing darkglass it sounds great! I wonder if they thought the abbreviation VMT sounds like "Vomit".

Re: Darkglass VMT!

Koljaiczek
Hi. I find several differences between this last vero, and the final schematic published in the freestompboxes forum.

1) The 1M resistor in the vero that connects to pin 5 of TL072, in the FSB Schem goes between the 10k and 100n, after Input.
2)In the vero doesn't exist the 2,2nf cap connected to Level3.
3)In the FSB Schem, ERA2 and ERA3 are connected and they go through a 10k resistor to 1nf and 22k. In the vero, are separated: ERA2 to this 10k, and ERA3 to a different cap of 1nf.
4) The 10k resistor from pin 10 of tl074 in the vero, is 100k in the other schematic of FSB.
5) The cap of 1uf from pin 1 of tl072, is 22nf in the schematic of FSB.

Are those changes relevant?

Thx

Re: Darkglass VMT!

tmcb
You were totally on the money apart from number one - that’s fine as it is.

I put a 2.2nf cap across where it needed to go to connect to level 3, connected era 2 & 3 together, changed the 10k to 100k, and dropped the 1uf to 22nf.

Sounds bang on like the VMT now, really chuffed with it now! Had been so-so.
1234