Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
A verified layout drawn from schematic from Dino over at Ilovefuzz. He also suggest some mods there. The original has a TLC274 quad op amp but only two of them is used so Dino went with a dual op amp
I kept thinking while drawing this"What a mess! Oliver Ackermann is a lunatic...or genius". Hopefully all the switch connections is ok. Will probably build this after I recieve the LM567 chip.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring

BetterOffShred
Any chance of the mod version with the crazy switch ?

I'm pumped on this.  I think I have a couple 018's too

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring

PMowdes
Dino and i should have a pcb for this in a few weeks once he's happy with what's onhis bread board.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring

Cool!! With no transistors we may actually be able to clone this thing

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring

anders
Sure! Dino named it the Meltdown Switch. So here is the layout with Meltdown mod.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring

Marbles
I'm curious too. Apart from the harmonic transformer I don't think there has been a DBA layout that actually worked for everyone.

Not meant to be disrespectful to anyone making the layouts ofcourse, but man, there are issues with every DBA clone or mods needed to be done to get (good) sound out of it haha.

Now I don't see DBA as a Wampler carefully selecting their parts. Wonder what their secret is. Since they use 910K resistors in almost every layout, it would be hilarious to find out that Oliver found a huge bag of mislabeled resistors. And they aren't actually 910K.

I'm sure they are measured by someone, but the thought of Oliver chuckling about something like that is hilarious.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

anders
Alright! It works! So I consider it verified, at least the stock layout. Sounds sick. This time Oliver didn't fool us. I used a linear taper for the Warp control and I'm quite happy with the sweep. It goes from aggressive choppy, fuzzy tremolo sounds  to wack out ringmod oscillation mayhem.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

Marbles
That's awesome! Great work!

Do you think an expression pedal would work for the sweep, or is it not something you would want to use?

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

anders
Expression pedal for the Warp control is definitely something I would use, would be really cool. I'm not sure how to implement it here, though.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

velouriafx
You can use a switched stereo jack.
Warp 2 and 3 from board go to Jack and from jack to pot. When you plug the cable, the conection with pot will be open.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

digi2t
From breadboard to "Verified" is still a stretch.

I can only say that what's on my breadboard sounds like what I hear in the videos. Besides, a breadboard tends to be a pretty shitty place to "verify" anything, let alone a bag of cats like this.

I would prefer to wait unit this is on a PCB before stating it's verified. PMow and I are in the verification stage of a final schematic for PCB production.

Regarding the "Meltdown" switch, we decided to call it the Wormhole switch, and there will be a B20K pot in series here. From a request over at ILF, we've also added a clean blend circuit to this as well. It makes it a whole lot more user friendly, especially for guitar. I would hold off building any veros of this beforehand.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

anders
Ok, it seems that I jumped on the gun a bit early, still sounds good as is and is similar to demos online.
Really looking forward to the PCB's. The blend feature seems to be a really usable addon.
Keep up the good work.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

PMowdes
PCB layout is nearly finished.  Just the silkscreen to sort

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

Marbles
Awesome looking Skull!

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

PMowdes

Boards came in, Dino's running the rule over them.

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

notnews
Great work on the PCBs. If you have the resources to print any extra boards you can absolutely put me down for one.

edit: scratch that, I see the listing on the DEE site: http://www.deadendfx.com/product/wurmloch

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

PMowdes

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

Hozy31
Sounding good!
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

strangerscallmekenny
Hey guys, I've been having a few issues with this pedal and I'd really love to get it working. I've triple checked it and I can't see anything wrong with my layout or any accidental links. I think the issue is that the warp pot is not working, as it's doing nothing throughout the rotation. I'm getting a tiny bit of ring mod and a super cool fuzz but none of the crazy stuff going on in the demos I've seen. The XYZ switch seems to be working, as it's got bright on one side and more muffled on the other. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

I'm using 42Tm018 transformers, a TlC272 and LM567 and 1N4729 Zeners, which are 3.6V just at a different wattage rating than the 1N5227Bs.

Here are my voltages:
Supply: 9.35V
Ic1 (Tlc272)
1: 3.3
2: 0.01
3: 0.02
4: 0
5: 0.02
6: 0.01
7: 4.5
8: 9.07

Ic2 (LM567)
1: 2.65
2: 2.52
3: 0.19
4: 9.07
5: 8.17
6: 0
7: 0.62
8: 0.24

Thanks again :)

Re: Death by Audio Space Ring - Verified

BetterOffShred
The LM567 chip comes in a couple versions.. the LMC567, the LM567C... LM567CN..  one requires double the size caps on the frequency control if I remember from the datasheet correctly.  I tried to use a LM567C in a circuit designed around a LMC567 and it didn't work at all.

Maybe double check that you have the right one of those in there...  the build doc calls for a LM567N..   can't find a data sheet on that.
12