Dimension P Chorus - verified

Freppo
Here is a PT2399 based chorus by Distorque. It sounds great!
I will put up a soundclip later on my blog when I have the chance.
Original thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=94435.0

Full size layout here
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
great man!
waiting for that soundclip!
and for your phaser too...
i'll build 'em both anyway...!!!

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Luke51411
Looks interesting! Can't wait to hear clips. Looks like something to add to "the list"

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Freppo
I was going to do soundclips, but I don't have enough time. :/
There are a couple of soundclips here though:
http://distorqueaudio.com/hardware/projects/dimension-p.html
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

dbat69
Thanks for the layout Freppo - its on my ever increasing To Do list

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Heath
Hey Freppo-san,

Are there really supposed to be two connection points for Depth 1&2?

Edit----

D'oh!  I'm an idiot.  You answered that on your page.  Sorry :)

For anyone else, just to make it easier, YES, they do connect at both points.

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Freppo

I added a soundclip today
http://parasitstudio.weebly.com/stripboard-layouts/dimension-p-chorus
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Heath
Hey, Freppo,

I built this (taking a HUGE sanity risk after the Little Jackass Chorus fiascos) and I gotta agree, it sounds pretty good!  I can't decide whether it sounds like a chorus or like a phased short-duration reverb.  Either way, it shimmers and I like it.

I have noticed an oddity, though, and was wondering if yours does the same... In one position, the Voices switch gives me big time effect, but in the other, instead o getting a lighter chorus, I get no chorus... although there is some subtle effect going on, but it seems to not relate to either depth or rate... it's just there.  If I do that and flip the Dry switch, I get what is pretty much a bypassed sound.

So, to make that more clear, here's what I am calling on and off - when the toggle is flipped so that it is connecting the two wires, I call it ON.  When it is flipped to connect the middle and the empty lug, I call it OFF.

Voices ON
Dry ON
Full Chorus effect

Voices ON
Dry OFF
Somewhat bassier, maybe stronger effect, but not really, hard to describe.

Voices OFF
Dry ON
Sounds like bypassed effect, but with a slightly sweet shimmer.  Pots have no effect that I can discern.

Voices OFF
Dry OFF
No discernible effect.

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Freppo
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. :/

I get two different types of chorus with the Voice switch. It toggles if one or both 2399 are in action.
The dual voicing sounds a bit different then the single voice, but they are almost the same depth.

The dry switch toggles on/off the dry signal.. So the switch should be either dry blended with the modulated signal (chorus), or just modulated signal which is deeper and sounds more like a vibrato.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Heath
I figured it might be something like that, but I wasn't sure if I was expecting something it didn't do.  I have the feeling one of my pt chips is being bypassed.  Awesome, dude, thank you for the feedback.  At least now I have a better idea what I'm supposed to be hearing and I know something isn't quite right.

Thank you!

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified HELP NEEDED!!

motterpaul
Freppo or anyone - I just  built this and it sounds great but only works in one setting - with the Dry switch "off" (set to 1+2) and with the voices switch on (set to 2+3) - no other switch combination works.

Just fyi, I have confirmed all caps are correct value & orientation. Pots are both C500k (they work fine) - trannys are as spec. I tried switching PT2399s and it works the same (so both must be good).

Here are the pics - I do not see any errors - but I could use some help. I get one great sound out of it, but that is all:

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201310_zpshxhh8ajc.jpg.html?sort=6&o=24

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201338_zpszcmy9hqn.jpg.html?sort=6&o=15

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201342_zpspdm4chp9.jpg.html?sort=6&o=16

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201357_zps7i0osaiv.jpg.html?sort=6&o=17

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201229_zpsnjqpigep.jpg.html?sort=6&o=18

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Motter/media/Pedal%20Builds/20160113_201247_zpsfhqyfapo.jpg.html?sort=6&o=19

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified HELP NEEDED!!

motterpaul
This post was updated on .
I would still like to get some help on this but also a couple of notes:

I just took both switches out since they didn't do anything and I am happy with it. But I never really go to hear what they do. I assume the "dry" one is just a bypass?

Anyway - mine was distorting on lower notes, anything below middle C (A-string 3-fret and below). I changed the 4001 diode I had to a 4004 - that seemed to make it cleaner overall, (but it still had that distortion). Adding a 100k resistor to the input cured that distortion with little change to the overall tone.

Another sweet thing to do to this is to add a tonestack & clean boost. I used the BMP with LPB1 - works great, just put it in one big box with the LPB1 following the chorus (no need for separate foot switch unless you want it, but it is easy to set the trim for unity gain. I used a pot and made it available to the user as a volume control).

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

mercury6
such a great sounding chorus but I don't understand how to hook up the switches. it says spdt which has 3 prongs but theres only 4 connections total for the switches. if it said spst then id understand

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

DumpsterWilly
Hey Heath, I just finished this build and am running into the same issues you had. Wondering if you every got yours working?

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

Heath
DW,

It's been so long I don't remember... I will say I probably would have posted if I got it figured out. I'm not even sure where the board I made is, but if I can locate it I'll take a look and let you know.

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

DumpsterWilly
Cool. Honestly wasn’t expecting such a quick response! Thanks man

Re: Dimension P Chorus - verified

mercury6
i still have the same issue also. one mode on the switch works as should the others dont. has anyone figured this out yet?