Echopathetic analog delay

amsterdam
This one looked interesting, low part count analog delay.  Any interest in this one?

Perf & pcb
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/echopathetic.html

Original FSB thread
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27051&p=257393&hilit=echopathetic#p257393

Cheers!
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
I'm on it...
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

Man I was excited when I saw this is an actual analog delay with pretty low parts count but the clip does not seem very promising to my ears. Gonna save my precious MN3005 for something I'll actually want to use
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
I was reviewing my layout for accuracy and just realized the 3205 is a 14 pin IC, rather than an 8 pin

Sorry, I'll have give it a go again in the AM.

Mike

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
I got my second wind...

Let me know how it goes.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
Travis, if you don't mind 94 parts, madbean Aquaboy is worthy of your MN3005.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
gul

Cool, I'll probably give your vero version a go. Thanks for the layout. I built Storyboardist's etched PCB version and I love it. It's by no means a clean delay, but it has this weird character that I like. You might like it if you're into shoegaze-y sounds.

Mao you are a master. I will build in the next few days!
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
Thanks amsterdam!

Let me know how it goes.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

I forgot to mention, if you prefer true bypass jumper Byp 1 and Byp 2 and wire for true bypass as usual.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

zoof
Built this on perf. Love the sound, but it only handles short delay times. Gets pretty unusable at longer times. High pitch tone appears :)
gul

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

gul
I used a Burr Brown OPA2134 IC in place of the TL072. It seemed to lessen that high-pitched noise you're talking about. The delay time will, of course, be short because only one bucket brigade chip is used.

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

Yeah I don't like the high pitched whine in the clip

Mao the layout looks great! I should keep an eye out for when the aquapuss board is back in stock. I have a crappy DOD pedal that has socketed MN3005, MN3101, and NE570 so it's begging to be turned into something better
MAO

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

MAO
Thanks Travis!
I wonder if you could reuse the DOD enclosure with the Aquaboy guts? That might be cool.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

zoof
Cool, I'll try that on mine!

I can only use it halfway down on time as per the original schematic. The longest delay time it produces, with noise, would have been good enough :) I guess I have to go and buy a aquaboy board from madbean.

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

amsterdam
Great work MAO!  this layout is verified. Thanks a lot for another great layout!

There is a fair amount of noise coming from this thing, although I'm sure some will clear up once it goes in a box. I'll try removing those two components and report back on the noise level.

Great work team!

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

amsterdam
I removed that resistor and cap, but no change in noise to my ears.  I couldn't find an op amp in my collection that would bring the whine down either, so I just stayed with the 072.

Overall this is a cool delay, and I will be putting it in a box.
gul

The Aquaboy delay is wonderful IMO. I built myself a dual version w/mod and double delay board add-ons. One side has MN3005s and the other side has MN3205s. I still can't believe how different the modulations are between the two chips! It's kind of awesome.

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

zoof
I've been thinking for quite a while that I should build that one. Need to go and shop for some ICs first!

Would this be worth building ?
http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=667

Re: Echopathetic analog delay

amsterdam
I was just playing around with this today, put it in parallel with another delay with this splitter, and the high pitched whine went away COMPLETELY.

So if you've still got this handy, it may be worth trying a buffer in front of it. I also dropped the Burr Brown op amp back in. This is so much better now that I have full use of the time control.

I think I'll build a couple more and see if i can make a reverb a la Equinox II.

EDIT: 2hrs later... I removed the other delay and the whine is back... not sure whats going on here. I'll still be building a second to make a reverb kindathing.
12