Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Hey man if we don't help each other who will? But I hear ya on the tayda ones. I got a bunch from tayda, but have hear they can be spotty, to the point people have been calling them fakes.

And on a side note I look at it this way with the cross pond connections, if any of us travel to the others county we can meet up and what not. I got plenty of cold beer.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Yes I'd definitely be up for a beer, I expect it's another common hobby for a few of us

About the Tayda JFETs, I really don't think they're fake, unfortunately they're just shit like most JFETs.  The characteristics of through hole JFETs are all over the place and they really are as inconsistent as NPN germaniums despite modern advances in the manufacturing processes compared to when germanium transistors were in their heyday.  When you look at the overlap of (for instance) the 2N5457, 2N5458 and 2N5459 is shows the differences that you can get in what is essentially the same transistor.  I always assume they must be sorted and stamped based on how they measure because the results can't be predicted closely enough.

And with that in mind and believing that Tayda aren't selling re-stamped fakes, if a J201 was deviating too far from the numbers, then it would become a J202 (or however high they go with that one).  I may be being unfair to the manufacturers and the way I see their processes which is just my own interpretation, but one thing is for sure, through hole JFETs are very poor when it comes to their predictability which is plain to see when we have to buy matched sets of the same transistor to build a phaser.

I've heard the new SOT23 J201 and 2N5457 are very closely matched so maybe things have improved enough with surface mount where they can get into the same sort of ball park consistently.  And as the SMD J201s etc are now available by their trillion, and a simple PCB adapter board is all that's required to use it in the space of a through hole component, then I think things may actually improve for us over the next few years where JFETs are concerned even if they will be a pain in the arse to solder to the adapter.  I've got some MMBFJ201 and 2SK208 along with the adapters so I'll be trying them at some point soon.  I also want to get hold of a Peak DCA75 as well so I can see quickly how closely they compare to each other in the various areas.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Very true mark. I just want to make sure you know that I'm not saying that the ones from tayda are fakes, cause I've never had any problem with anything I've bought from them, j201's included, just that people on diysb and fsb have been going nuts about it. But, you're 100% right there is a lot of inconsistency in jfets.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

tjdracz
Okay, I guess I might finally jump on the bandwagon and buy something from that guy!
MP20A, 1T308V, MP21E, MP41, MP26B, MP39 - hands up, who bought and tested them? I've got a feeling that apart from MP20A and 1T308V, they will be on the lower gain side but can someone confirm or deny?

On the side note, aren't MP39 and 1T308V the "mojo" transistors that are used in Bonamassa Fuzz Face? ;)

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

dbat69
Tom
The 308Vs I have are all under 40 and leakages of 0
The MP20As are between 40 and 100 with low leakages
The MP21Ds are between 60 and 100 with low leakages

I don't have any of the others.  Most of these were bought from other sellers though.

Thanks! Pretty shcoking rsults with the 308V!

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

dbat69
Yes I was very disappointed.
I had 1 which was 103, a few below 30 and the remainder between 30 and 40 - zero leakage though
But I was certainly expecting much higher results out of the 50 I got

Edit:  I can't remember who I got them off, but it wasn't from our new friend.  I think they were from "elena"

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

tom, if you go for the gt308v's go for the military ones it308v. they are much more consitant and higher hfe then the standard gt308v.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

inefficiency
I've heard pretty terrible things about the 308Vs being a disappointment.

This fella goes through a few of the ones that he's bought in the past and what he reckons. He's a pretty trustable guy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfpRbD-dg8

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

tjdracz
dbat69 wrote
Yes I was very disappointed.
I had 1 which was 103, a few below 30 and the remainder between 30 and 40 - zero leakage though
But I was certainly expecting much higher results out of the 50 I got

Edit:  I can't remember who I got them off, but it wasn't from our new friend.  I think they were from "elena"
I got all my russians from that seller. They are alright, although they come from many different batches.

Rocket -1T308V, have you got any? Tested them? How do the results compare to dbat's dissapointment?

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

I do have 1t308v's, I think 100-200 of them. Mine are all low leakage, almost all read 0uA on my DCA55, with gain ranging from 70-100hfe for the bulk. I'll post it all in the other thread tomorrow after work or later tonight. Right now I'm waiting for doors to open for a concert.......and beer.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

tjdracz
rocket88 wrote
I do have 1t308v's, I think 100-200 of them. Mine are all low leakage, almost all read 0uA on my DCA55, with gain ranging from 70-100hfe for the bulk. I'll post it all in the other thread tomorrow after work or later tonight. Right now I'm waiting for doors to open for a concert.......and beer.
Nice! I think I'll take take a stab at them then. Will make myself cut down on cigarettes in order to afford transistors  Also, presenting my business idea on Thursday in order to secure some funding. Fingers crossed!

Have a good gig and beer ;)

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

inefficiency
I'm thinking maybe this online shop for kits and components maybe?

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Ahh. True. Forgot about that. I was going to say, with me starting to build for people I didn't realize that so many of us might be actually doing custom build work.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

tjdracz
inefficiency wrote
I'm thinking maybe this online shop for kits and components maybe?
Yeah, that's it! Thought about doing pedals but that's just not something were you can get recognized easily, especially with the amount of people that are doing it now. On the other hand, online store is much easier to set up and works for benefit of everyone :)

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Very true. I have no idea if me build is going to pan out, but what the hell, ya know? If I do it special order no biggy, and if not I have plenty of in inform for myself, and to help our community so I figure it's a win-win.

Btw, this took me like 10min to type, and it seems coherent, I think I need more beer before the next band comes on......
KT

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

KT
hi, is it possible that "balkan_sales" doesn't sell anything at the moment? I can't find items in his store
??

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

Beaker
Apparently he did something that was against eBay rules, so was forced to close the "balkan_sales" account.

He is still listing stuff on eBay though, using (I think) two or three names. Here's one - seller name "bg2014-manue".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-MP38-NPN-Russian-Germanium-TRANSISTORS-ORIGINAL-15V-HFE-25-55-Vintage-/181453786525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3f7d0d9d

Not sure what the other seller names are, but look out for the seller location - if it is "Stara Zagora, default, Bulgaria", it is the same guy.

Hopefully someone else will chip in with his other listing names.

Re: Great new seller of Soviet Germs.

inefficiency
I think the names of the other accounts were posted in the "Bargains" thread.
123456