Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster
This post was updated on .
 so my very good friend Obeid Khan has a new amp cming out. The Khan Pak. It is 18w both single channel and a 2 channels. This amp is incredible. Its the size of a car stereo or smaller than a dictionary.
Well Obeid lent me one of the dual channel amps. I was just amazed at the range of tones this Amplifier has. You can get nice clean fender amp tones on channel one and Plexi tones when dimmed . Lots of clean headroom for an 18 watt amp. Channel 2 has great Marshall like high gain with option of blending both channels for everything in between. I am truly amazed at the overall PAKage. Its the everything amp that can fit under a car seat for emergency back up or an everyday home and or gig amp. The thought and ingenuity that went into this amp is without precedent. With Foot switchable channels and mid boost for leads its like having 4 channels . I own dozens of gain pedals and didn't feel the need to hook up any of them. Of course I did eventually just to see how it took different pedals. It handled my fuzz,rangemaster tube screamer, crunch box, Hyde and half a dozen other pedals i tried like a vintage fender or marshall amp should. The clean channel has a chime and clarity that very few production amps have. .Its the amp of the century. It has no problem powering a 4/12 to stage volume. The EQ section has immense range and tweak ability. .It sounds even better than it it looks . its a perfect 10 I don't want to give it back ha ha.

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster

Re: New Khan Pak 18w tube amp the size of a car stereo amazing

strassercaster
Obied has been designing guitar amps for over 30 years. He designed the Crate vintage club series under severe distress to keep costs downha ha. He then did the reason amp line with stack mode. Then he freelanced for a few years designed the entire new Magnatone amp line . Recently went on his own to do the Khan Pak a pet project that was on the back burner for many years. Its finally come and wow what a great amp. Takes pedals well way louder than the 18 watts is says it is. He is shipping out the first ten before the months end. Check out Khan Audio for details  http://www.khanaudio.com/. Also on facebook with some demos as well

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Do you have to remove circuit boards to change the tubes?

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster
This post was updated on .
You do not have to remove anything but the lid. He said its a delicate procedure but nothing real hard . They do come with a spare set if ever needed.Khan tested the tubes he got and says its is very doubtful they would ever have to be replaced These are military spec NOS  6Aq5 a smaller version of a 6v6 basically. It has a built in computer fan  for heat  that can be shut off for recording. He had to put the fan in for compliance it doesn't really need it he left it on for a week dimmed no fan no issues. The effects loop is great and the circuit boards for the line out just arrived he will be installing them this week and the first orders will ship.

I have been friends with Obied Khan for over 30 years he is a virtuoso guitarist and virtuoso tube amp designer . This amp is  righteous  I can't wait to buy one . The one I have is #1 prototype so I'll be giving it back in the next week or so . I wAs bummed because he took it too all our friends to demo but I am the first one to get to borrow it ha ha got the last laugh . Anyway stay tuned for more to come from Khan Audio it's on the move!

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

strassercaster
This amp wants to be pushed . My vintage marshalls sound great up till about 6 once I go past six it just gets to
Loose and not very musical. The Khan pack is very loud and when you put it on ten it's still stays focused it doesn't get loose and knarly like most tube amps . I would say on 10 it's about like my 50w Marshall set to 4 which is as loud as I ever go on stage at the places I play. It's got plenty of volume to push a 4/13 and move the hair on your legs .

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

For people that are into swapping tubes, that's going to be annoying (plus the obvious danger of forcing the user to stick both hands inside the chassis).

The 6AQ5 seems like a cool choice. I don't think anyone is currently making that tube, but the prices on NOS ones on eBay are lower than most new tubes

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Muadzin
strassercaster wrote
This amp wants to be pushed . My vintage marshalls sound great up till about 6 once I go past six it just gets to
Loose and not very musical. The Khan pack is very loud and when you put it on ten it's still stays focused it doesn't get loose and knarly like most tube amps . I would say on 10 it's about like my 50w Marshall set to 4 which is as loud as I ever go on stage at the places I play. It's got plenty of volume to push a 4/13 and move the hair on your legs .
Thing is though, it's nice if it can go loud when need be, but usually the need is for amps to be less loud and still sound good. The days of the 60's and 70's of loud amps are over and nobody likes the asshole guitarist who insists his amp only sounds good fully maxed.

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

hey muadzin speak for yourself, but personally i find there's nothing better then a pushed massive amp. there's something about going to a show where it's coming direct and you can feel the music running through you. idk, i find it kind of spiritual i guess, and one of the reasons i love going to smaller shows where it's coming through the amp not the house. it's how i've seen sleep, motorhead, most of the times i've seen clutch, earthless, and many other heavy bands. it just feels different then when it comes through the house.but, you're spot on that it can't be just one person it's got to be everyone together and eqed right.

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

So when I turned my Twin Reverb up to 10 at practice the other night I was being an asshole?

This is a lower power amp though, so depending on the speakers used it shouldn't be crazy loud. The 6AQ5 is rated more like 10W for pushpull, not sure if it's actually getting 18W here (though we've all seen amps that push the tubes past their ratings)

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

hey at least you can turn your amp to 10 o'clock, i don't think i can make it to 8 o'clock with my mesa. so i guess i can never be the asshole cause i can't turn the volume up that hi. i found a loophole. lol

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Oh hellz nah by 10 I mean I dimed that shit to the max. Keep in mind that is pretty fuckin loud but no way it's as insane as your amp lol

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

lol. well you know i can barely go above 1 without risk of shaking my house with the mesa. but then again it's 600 mesa boogie watts, which is nowhere near 600 normal watts. it's got so much more fucking power and output. it's that black mesa boogie voodoo magic haha. i'm dying to try and dime it and just see what it feels like, especially once i can get a decent price on another 4x10, so i can stand in front of a full stack and slam into something like dopesmoker or ace of spades. you'll probably hear me over in SoCal.

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

The San Andreas will quiver in fear! Lol

Hey Silver, for the record I think this seems like a sweet amp from how you describe the sound. Without having tried it obviously I can't say I like it or not, but I don't want to come off like I'm poo-pooing on your buddies creation! The tubes crammed inside the chassis is a turn off for me, but I'd love to try one out anyway. Must sound excellent!

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Silver Blues
What?  I do think it's a pretty cool amp but you're calling on the wrong guy there hahaha

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Damn sorry bros my brain is seriously fried from work and car troubles this week! Finally got my car all sorted out though and now I'm just holding out for the weekend lol

Re: Khan Pak 18w tube amp ther size of a car stereo

Silver Blues
Lol don't have to be sorry man, I totally feel you. I'm just white-knuckle holding on to my sanity until my exams are over for this year. Can't come fast enough.