Loophole

KT

Re: Loophole

KT
Kinski, did you order it from Haberdasher?

Re: Loophole

Kinski
Space, yeah the modulation layout was just updated yesterday. It's pretty clear now. But I'm happy to help if you got any questions.

KT, yep, haberdasher did the PCB. He did a great job. I'm terrible at etching PCBs. I think I actually get worse at it, the more I do it. And I hate working with all the chemicals. I'd happily pay someone a few bucks for a nice PCB!

I would have done the vero posted in this thread here, but it was only posted after I placed my PCB order.

Re: Loophole

Kinski
I also used the Isd2560p chip instead of the stock one. It has 60sec of record time, rather than 20 sec. And the fidelity is supposed to be a bit better as well. You just have to ground two extra pins on the chip if you use the one I used. I think pins 7 and 8 or something. I forget.

For pots, I used 10kb for detune and depth. 50kc for speed. All controls can go from subtle to extreme. Sounds really great to me.

Re: Loophole

SpaceCommandant
Kinski, I'm wondering what you used for the stomps (momentary/latching).

I suspect latching for Play and momentary for Record & Detune might be the most useful.

Re: Loophole

Kinski
I used latching for record and play. Momentary for detune. Although, momentary for record sounds like a good idea perhaps.

I set the rec and play switches as tall as they would go, and the detune switch as short as it would go. So even though it seems like the 3 switches are too close to each other, the middle detune switch is totally out of the way when you need to step on the rec or play switch. Very easy to use.

Re: Loophole

Tune Tone
Kinski - can you put a link to where you got the pcb from ?
thanks!
KT

Re: Loophole

KT

Re: Loophole

Kinski
Yep, his email is: okjgthreee@gmail.com
He has etched a number of PCBs for me and they are always great.

Re: Loophole

SpaceCommandant
Thanks again, Willard.... Verified.

A couple of things:

The diode on the left is 4001 and the two on the right are 914, from what I could make of the schematic.

Also, as has been noted by some on the Madbean forum, I'm having issues with the Detune switch not working as it should, which is unfortunate as that is a huge attraction for me, although it was Sort Of working as I was fiddling with various components and pressing on ICs and whatnot in what can only be described as 'intuitive debugging,' which just means I lack 'a reasonable level of basic knowledge.' When it works, though, it feels like magic.

Also, it's been mentioned that the 22R resistor can get hot, which in my experience equated to a weird, 'Something isn't right' smoldering smell and a burned finger tip. It gets hot. The value of this resistor is apparently critical to get the Detune to work. Someone mentioned a 15R worked for them.

I then added the mod by JakeFuzz and I'd say I mostly got it to work, though it was a little difficult for me to correlate the two layouts, and I'm pretty certain I've miswired something that relates to the Safe switch.

More debugging tonight, this time with as much critical analysis as I can muster.

Re: Loophole

Kinski
Hi SpaceCommandant,

Not sure if you saw this or not, but this is the updated modulation layout. Its much more clear.

I have since changed a few things on mine. I wired mine so that the LFO is grounded when the pedal is bypassed. I was getting some ticking bleed in the ground when using fuzz pedals with it. Grounding the LFO cured it beautifully.

I also couldn't decide how I wanted the detune switch to be, so I used both momentary and fixed. Momentary stomp and a fixed toggle (w/ LED indicator for the toggle).

I find the detune pot of the modulation board very nice. You can detune the pitch very precisely to a specific pitch.

I LOVE this looper.

Re: Loophole

SpaceCommandant
That sounds great , Kinski.

I'm trying to make sense of Willard's vero in relation to the layout by JakeFuzz, and I think I see where I've run into a problem....

This will show you where I've put the two cuts (red marks). I THINK this is correct.

The 22R gets changed, no problem, but I need to swap a 10uF to 22uF.
Is it the one in the top left of Willard's vero?
If so, it looks like it needs to also be isolated from the 7805, but connect to the top right pin of the 1020..?
Unless, of course, I've identified the wrong cap.....

Sigh.

Re: Loophole

SpaceCommandant

Re: Loophole

Willard
Tried adding the mod above without making too many changes to the original board so it wouldn't become too messy (two cuts and a couple of extra leads). I think it will work but please check against the posted schematic and pcb first. Cheers.
KT

Re: Loophole

KT
Anybody tried this last layout? I'm starting to preparing the board
Thanks for the layout!!

Re: Loophole

SonusFluxa
I was going to ask the same question, I'm currently waiting for my parts to come in the mail.

Re: Loophole

SpaceCommandant
Yeah, I did.

Everything works for me except the detune switch and pitch knob.

This doesn't mean the issue is with the layout, obviously, as I had an issue with the detune switch on my first build (the version minus the mods).

If you read the Madbean forum you'll notice a few others with the same problem which was apparently being caused by the 22R resistor (some had better luck with a 15R), though with that resistor being changed to a 10uF cap in the modded layout, I was surprised when it didn't solve the problem. I'll go over it yet again another day to see if I've messed anything up.

I also used a B50k pot for the speed pot which is plenty speedy.

I also noticed what appears to be a discrepancy between the pcb layout and the vero, though it may not make a difference (it didn't when I changed it): it looks like (on the pcb) the Out of the regulator is isolated from the pin of the 1020 and the + of the 22uF cap, though on the vero it connects with the 22uF.

Going to give a pcb version a go and see what happens...
KT

Re: Loophole

KT
On this layout there's a 47K resistor missing immediately on the right of the ISD and that one is present on the previous vero. In the evening I'll try to check it myself against the layout.

Re: Loophole

Willard
I moved the 47K over to the AE column on the right but had to stand it up so as not to make too many physical changes to the board.
KT

Re: Loophole

KT
Okay, now I see, sorry. Did you build this already successful Willard? Or do you also get problems with the dtune and pitch? thanks!!

Re: Loophole

Willard
No sorry, I haven't built it - was just responding to the request.
123