MXR Phase 100

Alex
Two layouts by Savvas and me.
Not yet verified.

Re: MXR Phase 100

Sl8v aka Slav
i have original if someone will need voltages. Good luck to Brave Builders!
phaser addicted

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
started it today i am boarded up and doing the offbaord  wiring.tonight or tomorrow. it took a long time for me I have 4 hours in it a
ready. the board took almost  2 hours counting jumpers.i went with the Saviss layout it seemed like less overall work . I just installed the vactrols and i am starting wiring right now. i am taking my time on this one. i did a ce-2 and a small clone this is on par for man hours. i made big and little mistakes on those. i have spent an extra half an hour double/triple checking this one. its a little scary not being verified and the complexity via sure volume of parts cuts links and lfo's with some of the issues they can cause via ticking . i am going to  use shielded wire on  the input and the rate pot. I am still having minore issues with the phase 90 i made last week  and i have a small stone tonepad not working. i built a dynacomp To see if it was the chips ca3080 and it doesnt work either. which led to two sessions of troubleshooting to no avail. ha ha.

   Hopefully it works first try. it rarely happens for me on the non dirt fuzz pedals. Ill post my results when i complete assembly. i am hoping it works and if it doesnt some help ha ha. Thanks guys😎

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster

here is where i am right now. probably going to take a break and do some family time. i work full time 60 hours at my day job and have been doing pedals like crazy from 10-1 every night . i have been on a roll but have also had lots of issues on first trys as well. i built a multiplex echo,phase 90, rubadub (hated it not box worthy) and rub a dub deluxe,that are finished and boxed. the phaser still has some lfo bleed/tick not bad but its there. a small stone and dyna comp that arent working(ordered new chips) and now the mxr phase 100 Canadian

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
Well I boxed it and it doesnt work . It passes signal. If i have switch one on it squeals really bad. It was late and I didnt have the energy to trouble shoot. I will post voltages in a day or too. I finished 5 pedals this weekend and I need a break. I have no idea what I did wrong . I assume my off board wiring is correct because i get signal on and off.Ill double check my cuts links solder joints and parts layout again. I really thought I nailed it. I took my time with this one being unverified. I always have one or two errors on builds this big but i cant find anything yet. ill post voltages i would appreciate someone posting working voltages bigtime, Thanks

Re: MXR Phase 100

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi mate!
i'm sorry it didn't work
i checked again my layout with the schem from "GGG" and i'm 99% sure that it's ok.
i also checked your board and it looks ok too as i can say from the picture you've uploaded
i only can't see the orientation of the diode and of those vlt5cs
hope you'll verify this man.
good luck!

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
i triple checked everything still havent found any issues. when i have something like thos i do an hour or so and come back to it with fresh eyes..i was wondering if you could label the ICs they all say 1. if someone is kind enough to post voltages ill have a reference.i did check my vactrol points and they are spot on. The trimmer has no affect.it sounds out of phase a little . i do get variable voltage on legs 6 and 7 of the bottom left chip. im pretty sure the lfo is working but its not hitting.ill check out the ggg schematic tomoorow night ill do another round and throw up some more pictures. last trouble shooting i checked all cuts links parts and placements. one transistor had zero voltage on 2 legs that was something that i found  odd.ill change that transistor next session. i hope its something simple .i have built 39 pedals in 6 months  still a noob though.i have a hard time with vero a tehular pcb its like a piano all layed out logically. stripboard is like guitar many levels
about how much voltage on the vactrols ? the layout is probably good its something i did or used thats the problem. brand new bad will kill you ha ha

Re: MXR Phase 100

Sl8v aka Slav
@strassercaster here is voltage chart:
Vin - 9.45V

IC1:
1 4.74   8 9.49
2 4.74   7 8.84
3 4.73   6 3-5V
4 0        5 6.1

IC2-IC5 (pretty close on all)
1 4.74             8 9.48
2 4.74             7 4.74
3 100mv(4.74) 6 4.74
4 0                  5 4.72

q1:         q2:    q3:      q4:
e 5.9      0        0         100mv
b 5.9      0.55    0.6      4.1
c 9.49     0.8     4.25     4.1

And here is some google search with similar results:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=68604.msg548770#msg548770

Hope, that helps.
p.s. you prompt me to strip it , so now its time to mod :)
phaser addicted

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
This post was updated on Aug 30, 2015; 10:52pm.
hello i finished the Saviss layout for the phase 100 . I really took my time with this one but its not working. it passes signal on and off but doesnt phase. it does actually sound out of phase but no pulse or throb . i took pictures and i used a red sharpy to show cuts on both sides. The hardest parts to see in the pictures are the Vactrols i have checked them a half dozen times. Something bothers me about the D2 power suplly for the bottom right and middle vactrol there is a jumper between them but a cut on the layout is this right? The top vactrol is getting 9v right from leg 8 of the top middle tl072. dont all of them need 9volts?there is a cut under the diaginal 100k resistor abover the trimmer how are these getting power and is it supposed to be 9volts?
top left Tl072
1 4.79v
2 4.79
3 4.33
4 0
5 4.76
6 4.78
7 4.77
8 9.58

top middle
1 4.79
2 4.78
3 4.76
4 0
5 4.72
6 4.78
7 4.86
8 9.58

top right
1 4.65
2 4.78
3 4.72
4  0
5 4.72
6 4.84
7 4.74
8 9.57

bottom left
1 4.60
2 4.77
3 4.75
4 0
5 varies 4.51-5.07
6 varies 4.69-5.07
7 varies 3.90-5.96
8 9.57

bottom middle
1 4.64
2 4.77
3 4.75
4 0
5 4.72
6 4.69
7 4.48
8 9.57

bottom right
1 4.51
2 4.74
3 4.71
4 0
5 4.72
6 4.86
7 4.49
8 9.57

transistors
top left
e varies 4.1-4.57
b 4.60-5.11
c 9.57

top middle
e .58
b .96
c .40

top right
e 0
b .40
c .40

bottom right

e 0
b .59
c .77

vactrol top  green
d2
top leg 9.56
d2 bottom leg 0
vactrol top 4.76
vactrol middlie 4.76
vactrol bottom 4.76

vactrol middle purple
d2
top leg 0
d2 bottom 0. definitely one of my problems
vactrol purple
top leg 4.72
middle 4.76
bottom 4.71

vactrol bot right blue
d2 top right 0.42
d2 bot left 0
vactrol blue
top right 4.71
middle leg 4.76
bottom left leg 0

so i have some problems with transtors and vactrols.i have checked for bridges several times and ran a knife several times.different readings on the led/d2 section on all three vactrols . I assume 9 volts needs to be on one of the diode legs correct? or should it be the 4.7 volts ? i think i have a few issues here.transistors seem low d2 d3 not getting power.

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
so this is verified? I am not getting power to my vactrols and my transistor voltages  are off .THANK YOU!!

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
well you were right Saviss i didnt have my  reading glasses on when i installed my vactrols i had the green one backwards. first time using them i looked but i remember flipping it to put the legs in the holes . i have to get another one i cut them to short to desloder and flip and when i tried to extend the legs it broke off flush dooooh. hopefully this is my one and only issue. i am worried about my transistor voltages .Figures i mounted them with the polarity markings on the downside derp.i love the demo videos for this pedal.
it seems like it will do a univibe warble on one of the settings is that right?

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
well i had one of the vactrols in backwards. i am getting phase on three of the four setting . with switch one on i get major squeal  /police siren oscillation. hmm . i have gone over this board dozens of times. i tried shielding the switch wires and theminput and output jacks not the board wires for input and output. any ideas man i am somclose but yet so far away. the trimmer justs adjusts the range of the siren there is no trimmer setting that doesnt phase in the other three setting and squeal in the switch one on setting help please

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
Verified. Changed the 15k resistor on top row too a 22k stopped the siren/squeal good to
Go. Thanks for all the help help. Very nice effect .

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
The Savvas layout  Mxr
Phase 100 is 100 percent verified . Everything is a go both switches are working and it's a nice warm phaser. I had to change the 15k to a 22k restore on the top row.it was squealing before the change . Thanks so
Much Savvas you rock buddy . Hey did you see my peavey phaser request? Do you think it can be done? How about a small stone layout ? Ha ha thanks very impressive.

Re: MXR Phase 100

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
thanks for your kind words buddy!
i saw both of your request man. they are both very difficult to be done. i could try small stone at some point but i can't see it very clean at the schem i have.

also i have to say that i've never worked with those ic's.and i don't own any except from just one 3080.
so that's one more thing that keeps me away from those schems. working on a layout that you don't know what the part are for, isn't very clever...!!

thanks again man.

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
its cool  i found out the peavey used ca3094a just like the original small stones. they relabled them for there own production lines. i just finished a tonepad layout small stone with a 4pdt toggle for univibe /phase . its cool. hey i was thinking of doing a harbinor one on tagboard either yours or alex80. probably yours because its seems less work and i did your mxr100 and im doing his dirtbaby and moodring . if i were to build a harbinger and do the oppisite have a 4pdt to make it like a phaser what value should i try four the phase section? instead of the 4 lopsided caps where would you start? .220 .15 4.7 and 470pf i was thinking having those on one setting and flip the switch to standard phase . i could socket them i guess but still want a reference. im guessing .010 uf to start any ideas? thanks we need to get your layout moved to the verified section . also was this a block logo schematic or script for the 100. thanks alex80 and Savvas

Re: MXR Phase 100

strassercaster
as far as the peavey phaser ill probably pick up,an old amp they go for 250 if i can score one for 200 ill buy it. horrible preamp for gain but the clean is pristine which i need on ocassion. stock marshall 2204 50w and super modded jmp100 niether are what i am looking for when it comes to cleanliness

Re: MXR Phase 100

Gunte
Hi,

I think that the Savvas layout deserves a place in the Guitar Fx layouts blog!

I have also verified it. It didn't work at all using TL072's though... so i used 1458's and it worked like a dream! I built two, one with LM1458N and one with MC1458P. The one with MC1458P worked slightly better. It sounded a bit more full and was more responsive to the speed pot and the trim pot.
I used some (expensive) VTL5C3/2 for the vactrols and the 2P4T switch layout from Alex80's layout. I used the stock value of 15k for R1, no problem with squealing. Has anybody tried this layout with TL022's?

Savvas - well done!