Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Here's a new one

I will let the sound speak for itself

As usual I have schematic and a verified vero layout on my blog
www.parasitstudio.se

I hope you like it (or hate it...) :)
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Kinski
Oh hell yeah!

You create some great shit! Can I ditch the rotary switch and use a 3-way toggle?
I would leave out the STUN setting, and only use KILL, INCINERATE, and DEGENERATE.
What would be the best way to do that?

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

boratto
Seems to be gated, and i like this idea to get rid of shit power supply noise. Is it very scooped? A mid boost is a suggestion to cut through the mix in a live situation.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Thanks, i'm glad you like it :)

Hmm.. I don't think that is possible to have more then two positions with a regular 3-way on/off/on switch. Or do someone else know a way? But you could always use two settings only. It's enough crazyness anyway. :P I would skip the stun and degenerate modes if using a regular switch. The connections on my vero are in the same order. SW 1: stun, SW 2: kill, and so on.

Cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Kinski
Ah, got it! Thanks!

I'll probably just use a toggle and a 2 selections, but first I'll see if I can cram the rotary into the 1590a...but I don't think it will be possible. Haha. Yeah, I have a 1590a obsession.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Yes, it's just the nature of the beast. All comparator fuzzes are very gated. It's not very scooped, but it is as square wave as it gets which can get undefined.. You could always add a tone-control at the output, because it's super loud. :)

Cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
I built this up tonight and have it running. I may have to check the board over for bridges. As I said it works but I'm not sure it's quite what the demo shows. The disorder knob seems to have little effect and only two of the switchable selections are usable. The other two are just a wall of noise triggered by the input and  eventually fade.
I'm going to look over everything tomorrow to see what I may have done wrong.
Are there any tricks to get that crazy note skipping sound?
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
One other thing I noticed,
The volume knob is highly interactive with the overall sound. At 100% it adds a lot of fizz. Sometimes fizz on the attack and slowly becomes more of a note. I'm not well versed on a lot of the tech side of this but was curious if maybe it could be from the vol pot dumping to ground and maybe the cumulative ground value affects the overall sound??? That may make no sense in the way these or any components work.
Some of the sounds I get are really cool but I'm just not sure it's right.
As I said I  will probe it out tomorrow but I thought I would see if any of this info would spark some insight to what I'm experiencing. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you for sharing the layout.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
I just went over the board and could not find any faults or bridges with the meter. However I did want to ask about the purpose of the 1uf electro in the bottom right corner. It seems that both sides connect to ground.
Also if you get time, I'm curious what your pin voltages read. Thanks again for any help.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Sounds like there is something wrong with your build. :/
The volume pot should not effect the sound

The 1uF cap forms a lowpass filter with the 100K resistor. It improves the tracking in the second position. I'm looking at the layout now and clearly only the negative side of the 1uF goes to ground. Are you sure that you have it in the right position? Or maybe the ground connection to the board or the link are wrong?

If you can, post a picture of your board and I will have a look.

Cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound

I'm sorry you are correct about the 1uf
The noble changes I am aware of with my build is that you will see the input go into the top row because I forgot to account for the unperfed area in the corner, I made a cut to the right to separate it from the rest of the row and linked it to row 2 where it should have entered the board. I also mistaking lay connected ground to row P ( 3rd from bottom) but that should make no difference due to the link from P to Q.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
I also assumed "switch 0" to be the center post of the switch that corresponded with the outer 4
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
It's a bit hard to see, but I can't spot any mistake, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help :/
Yes, switch 0 is the center lug of the rotary switch.

What brand/version of the 4046 are you using?
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
It's a Texas Inst cd4046be
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
Ok, here is my assessment.
I am thinking it may be correct. It could be the amount of signal hitting the amp at higher volume settings may be the reason for the change in sound.
This thought could be wrong but I have come to the conclusion that either way it's a keeper. Whatever the hell this thing is doing sounds pretty cool destroying guitar signals and is the craziest thing on earth when I run my theremin through it.
I did swap out both ic's with the same results.
I may build another in the near future just to see what shakes loose. I always buy a few extras of everything so why not. Thanks for the responses.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Cool
I'm happy you like it and that someone actually builds my stuff. :)

Lol @ the teremin. I must try that!
I have a cmos teremin on the breadboard.

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

régis@fofo
Built it and love it !

Definitively going to be boxed!

And thank you so much for sharing your amazing work.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Thanks! I'm glad you like it :)

cheers / Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Synsound
Since I have a few more builds under my belt, I decided to go back and rebuild this one. I must have gotten it right this time because it sounds bad ass. Now I have to get back to the Flawed Logic MK2 (which I had intended on building tonight)
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Freppo
Missed your post. Awesome that it sounds "right" this time. :)
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se
12