Recommend me a compressor

PMowdes

Don't know much about em but fancy giving something a go.  Any recommendations??

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Silver Blues
Really Cheap. It's... really damn cheap. And sounds awesome. Highly recommended from me anyway.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

I'm not an expert on compressors but the LM13700 Janglebox that I made sounds great and has some nice options with the tone switch.

The Orange Squeezer is a classic simple, cheap, n dirty comp

Re: Recommend me a compressor

the only one i've built is the emma transmorgrifier. i think it's pretty damn good imho, but i just end up never using it. I've been toying with building the BJF Pale Green Compressor, which is supposed to be so natural it's like it's never on. also the pigtronix philosophers tone is supposed to be really warm and nice sounding too.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Sergio
Hi Rocket, I readed in the post or somewhere related that the transmorgriffier sounds like  hot ampeg svt, maybe it s adding too much colour? I was tempted to give it a go.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Marbles
I'm not really an expert (never used them) But was recommended the diamond one to use on ambient stuff.

Built http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.nl/2014/07/diamante-compressor.html

and am really enjoying it!

Re: Recommend me a compressor

PMowdes

Cheers everyone, some great suggestions as always.
mug

Re: Recommend me a compressor

mug
Just to make the list complete: I built the Dynacomp and really enjoy it!

Re: Recommend me a compressor

It's not so much that it sounds like that all the time, but can sound like that in certain settings, and doesn't really color your tone unless you use settings that do. Know what I mean? Don't get me wrong, it sounds damn good, but I just don't use compressors. I want to try and find one that I like enough, but I usually end up feeling they take away from my tone.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

When it comes to compressors, guitarists tend to fall into one of three camps.

They either hate compressors with a vengeance, they like transparent compressors, or they like hot compressors.

Transparent compressors like the Forest Green and the Keely are very popular. The appeal is that you can't tell it's on until you turn it off.

Hot compressors are ones like the Ross, Dynacomp and the Janglebox. They will colour your tone somewhat, and are quite noisy, but add character.

I'm in the hot camp, and like Travis, I recommend the Janglebox.
MAO

Re: Recommend me a compressor

MAO
I'm a huge fan of the 5-knob or 6-knob Keeley style.

The added Blend control and Tone control (or Jangle Switch) takes the Keeley to another level.

I'm finishing up populating a 22 x 24 5/6 knob layout using a LM13700. If all goes well, I'll be posting this smaller layout next week.

I've also been thinking about doing a dual Keeley/Janglebox layout using both sides of the LM13700.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Recommend me a compressor

skeletonghost
sorry for this pleb kind of question, but what is the point of a compressor if you cannot tell if it's on or off? I have a bit of a tin ear, and compressor demo videos always leave me a bit confused

Re: Recommend me a compressor

for me i don't want the compressor to color my tone. i find that a lot of compressors don't just even out the sting volume, but they also add/take away something from the tone, not to mention there can be a loss in definition. if i'm going to use a compressor all i want it to do is to take and even out the sustain. if that makes any sense.
MAO

Re: Recommend me a compressor

MAO
Simply put, transparent sustain.

As Beaker mentioned, some prefer little-to-no coloring of the input signal (tonal changes or added noise/hiss) at this early stage of the effects chain.

But we still may like a signal boost, sustain, compression etc.

The Keeley (with the blend option) is fairly transparent, you almost can't tell its on until you turn if off and then your signal drops off or the highs and lows become unbalanced in volume.

On the other hand, you always know when the Jangle box is on...but that's not a bad thing either.

Best thing to do is go demo a couple at a music shop and see which you prefer.

On Mar 3, 2017 10:54 AM, "skeletonghost [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
sorry for this pleb kind of question, but what is the point of a compressor if you cannot tell if it's on or off? I have a bit of a tin ear, and compressor demo videos always leave me a bit confused

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Recommend-me-a-compressor-tp36450p36515.html
To unsubscribe from Recommend me a compressor, click here.
NAML
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Zach's reply to your question just about nails it really.

Personally I take the opposing view, I don't mind some degree of change to my tone, and don't mind a little extra hiss, I just prefer the extra dash of "sauce" some compressors add. I have yet to play a transparent compressor that I actually like.

It's all about personal preference though, and there's now't wrong with that.

EDIT: MAO beat me to it - another great summary.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

lol. there's one compressor that i really like how it colors your tone, the ehx black finger tube compressor. granted when i messed with it i basically had 0 compression, and used it to give me some tube warmth. i debated getting it for a few months when i saw one sitting used for $75 at my local samash, the only reason i didn't pull the trigger was because there was a major grounding issue. when i figured i'll jump on it cause it was too cheap not to, since new they're over $200, and i could fix the grounding issue it was gone.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Sensei Tim
i'm not a huge compressor fan or user, but i've built a few Engineer's Thumbs for various people and they all seem to like it.

My main compressor for a long time was a markbass compressore, amazing sound. I still have it "near"me, iit was borrowed from me for a friend recording that seems neverending. It reminds i have to call him have it back. Havent you tried that one? This should be traced by the way. It had allen screws, never tried to open, dont know what topology or complex we can find there.

Re: Recommend me a compressor

Marbles
You got suggested about all the different ones :D

What are you looking for in a compressor? Do you want to squash it? Jangly? Transparent? Pumping? :D

THanks for bringing up this btw. I sometimes build stuff, liking it, but moving on to the next without enjoying it enough. This made me pick up the Diamond again and loving it, thanks! ;)

Re: Recommend me a compressor

PMowdes

Haha, yeah I noticed that just about every one on the site had been mentioned.

But at least now I have a better understanding of what they do and which ones do what.

I think I'll give the pale green a go, and perhaps a few others.
12