Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Alex
This post was updated on .
"No Battery" version updated: moved cut on the right of D5 to its left.
Now verified.

There are two versions:
the first one if you need the battery and the second if you don't (no need of Stereo IN Jack, 2n4403 and a couple of resistors).

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Frank_NH
Wow - outstanding work!  I'm building the PCB but I'd love to see someone tackle this vero.  I think it's probably about as compact as this circuit will allow.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Alex
Thanks!
I've drawn it for someone who wants to build it on vero but I'm not gonna do it cause it's not my cup of tea.
You are probably right about the size.
It's quite a big schematic and the original pcb is built for a 1590BB box anyway.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Heath
...you magnificent bastard

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Sweet mother muffins!!!!! I can't believe someone tackled this on vero. You must enjoy causing yourseld pain and frustration. Lol. It doesn't just look great, it looks fucking amazing.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Chris60601
Sweet Jesus! Even if by the slightest chance it does not work - I don't think it matters!!
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Alex
Thank you all!
I've managed to move some stuff around and make it a row smaller.
Everything should still fit comfortably.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

henkiejan
Could it be that there's an error with the 1M-resistor in the upper left corner? It looks like going into U1b alright, but comes from ground instead of Vref.

You were right! Had to move a couple of cuts but I've now corrected it.
Thanks for the heads up!

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

henkiejan
Just onze more thing; the link betweter ground

Op vrijdag 1 mei 2015 heeft albru80 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Runoffgroove-Thunderbird-tp16818p20062.html
To unsubscribe from Runoffgroove Thunderbird, click here.
NAML

To unsubscribe from Runoffgroove Thunderbird, click here.
NAML

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

henkiejan
Oops, sorry... Wrong post :-(. Can't delete my own posts?

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Trampled Empire
This is amazing. You have some skills. I wanted to build one of these, so I just traced your layout while referencing the Runoffgroove schematic to make sure it was all good.

I found one error: The cut immediately to the right of the upper connection of D5 should actually be immediately to the left instead. The way it is now, it shorts out a portion of the charge pump circuit and severs another. I am building this, and after making the change I noted above, the charge pump portion of the circuit works perfectly. Before making the change, the short caused the pump to overheat.

The circuit is fully built as of yesterday morning, and besides a few hiccups that I'm still working out, and attribute to my own mistakes, it seems to be working. I'll let you know when it's complete so you can consider it verified.

(Note: I'm using the No Battery version, haven't checked over the other one)

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Alex
This post was updated on .
Well spotted! The "Battery" version was correct. I must have moved the cut while removing the stereo jack and the other components.
Thanks for verifying it!

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Trampled Empire
Built it up, works like a charm! Consider it verified. I'm waiting on a 1590BB enclosure from Tayda, but once it comes it and I've got it together I'll post a few pics.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Frank_NH
Excellent!  What of you think of the sounds?  Mine can get very Marshally, though it can also get noisy if you turn the volume pot all the way up.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Trampled Empire

Yeah, it is definitely a noise maker! Haven't had enough of a chance to really find some sweet settings, but I really like the crunch of it. And in adjusting the knobs to see what range of tones it covers, was pretty impressed with how much they vary the sound. It's definitely a keeper! What settings do you generally use?

On Wed, May 20, 2015, 1:12 PM Frank_NH [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent!  What of you think of the sounds?  Mine can get very Marshally, though it can also get noisy if you turn the volume pot all the way up.

To unsubscribe from Runoffgroove Thunderbird, click here.
NAML

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Frank_NH
I usually keep the volume at 11 O'Clock and the treble maybe at 12 or so and adjust the rest to taste (the presence doesn't do much though).  Too much treble can accentuate the hiss.  But honestly, when you're going full guns, the hiss isn't a problem.  Also, my unit wasn't as noisy boxed up as compared to unboxed.  It may be worth experimenting with shielded cable for the input to see if that reduces the noise at its source.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Frank_NH
Heads up on the Thunderbird...

I've been following a thread on the Madbean forum (in the 1776 Effects subgroup) where a builder was able to successfully remove the hiss from the Thunderbird using a noise gate (specifically the ISP Decimator but other noise gates could be used).  The noise gate is inserted in place of the 10uF cap before U3a (i.e. upstream of the tone section - see below).   If folks want to experiment with this, I'd be interested in the results.  I may build a DIY noise gate anyway to experiment with.

Re: Runoffgroove Thunderbird

Sensei Tim
Got my vero cut last night. Links and sockets installed. Waiting for the goodies to get here!
12