Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
I just drew up a vero layout for the sansamp BBDI 'lite' vero ('lite', standing for no XLR out). I haven't built it yet so it's not verified yet, but I think that I got everything correct. it's pretty huge at 35 x 20 but it has to go into a 1590BB anyway since it has 6 pots (and I may later add two switches for the scooped mids issue that they're known for).

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Sergio
Pics when finished, please! Its always great to see your art works, John! Cheers

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Sergio
Post pics when finished!its always a pleadure to see your artworks, John. Cheers!

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
I managed to shrink it a couple of columns (now down to 33 x 20) and built it up. now I just need to wire it it up and test it to see if it works (fingers crossed).

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
it works!
now i'm going to mod it.

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

nice john. can't wait to see the layout and add it to my list. i had one of the programmable ones and traded it for a new bass, kinda miss it. i'm sure you're changes are going to make it even better.

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
here's the verified vero layout for it with NO mods (with the exception of using a C100K pot for the drive which has a better taper:

and here's the schematic that was posted on FSB that I used for the vero:
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Effects/Fuzz-ODs/BDDI/BDDILite.png

to me, just like the original BDDI, the overdrive is too weak, fizzy and mid scooped so i'm in the process of modding that part of the circuit.

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Sergio
Yes, if you want to change earth rotations with your bass driven sounds, you need to have those mids back! Im talking as a bassplayer too, my guitar playing is more oriented to house recording and those things,
Thanks for the layout, and curious to see the mods!
 Cheers,
   Sergio

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
This post was updated on .
after quite a bit of experimentation I finally got it to sound ALOT better.
IMO, the stock BBDI and BDI21 pedals are way too scooped, especially with the twin filtered overdrive circuit. and having a 'presence just exacerbates it. I removed the first OD filter completely, turned the OD's pre boost presence control into a pre-gain mids control, gave it more gain (on the OD side), and filtered out a lot of the distortion's fizzy top end. this circuit basically clips an opamp which is not my favorite way to achieve dirt, but these changes made it ALOT of usuable for me and it actually sounds really good to me now.

i'm also using a TLC2264 in both opamp positions since I think that they sound better and smoother.

here's the modded layout:

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Excellent, thanks John.

I've just realised one thing I love about the veroboard you use, the fact that you can see the cuts through it.  That would be such a useful extra guide when building.

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Surgeon
That's actually why I mark the cuts on the parts-side of my boards as well. Makes for very useful "position finders"...looks a bit less neat though.

I've painted a few of my boards lately, just because I love John's colored boards so much. However, not having the cut indicators makes things a bit slower to build... but it looks soooo goood...

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
and here's the modded layout if you're building it from scratch:

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

Lazy Swamis
Any reason not to throw this in a box with the active DI you posted earlier?

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
after quite a few mods, I finally got mine boxed up:

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

hendra
hy John k
Build this and its work OK  ,,but oscillation occured when the blend pot at the 12 o'clock position to the top    .,using shielding cable but no change, still oscilation ..can u help me ?? and thanks for your great layout
IMG-20140617-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20140617-WA0001.jpg

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

hendra
Oh man,,please help me,, my build still oscilation (feedback) like hell..

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
there must be an error in your build. this pedal doesn't have that much gain so it shouldn't be oscillating at all.

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

giudis
Nice job man!!!

Excuse me Johnk, What is the BYPASS OUT for?

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

johnk
this is a buffered pedal. the bypass out is the burffered output (i.e. with no effect)

Re: Sansamp BDDI 'Lite'

giudis
Ok, I am not a bassist, what can be an application of this output?
12