The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
I've tried building a Great Destroyer clone three times with the same result, the starve pot causes noise in other pedals. I use a daisy chain primarily and tried out different wall warts with the same result. I've tried sticking a 100uf cap between the 9v and ground rows figuring some filtering would help... nothing. This time, I built it with a battery and no change. I used the layout on the main page but took the trimmer outside the box, using a 25k pot (50k sounds better to me, but I don't have one right now) instead. I did notice if I stick a CD4049UBE in place of the buffered chip, the ripples in the other pedals stop but I don't get any craziness and that defeats the purpose. I had the same problem with the Robot Devil so I gave up on that one... I wasn't too crazy about that one anyway.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
Hi, I've built both of these. In the great destroyer I got better results with the UBE. I believe I reduced the starve pot to better fine tune into the realm of noise. On one or two rare occasions I got line noise when in bypass that I traced back to the starve. A slight touch and it was gone. It seemed odd it only happened a couple times. This has made me curious so I will prob open it up tomorrow and poke about.
I'm currently preparing my 2nd robot devil for boxing. I don't get the noise in bypass with it but the starve basically causes annoying ticking so I had planed to leave it out. I will try to play with a few more starve values to see if it becomes more useful.
I will let you know what I come up with. Hopefully I'll have something tomorrow night.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
Thanks for the suggestion, I swapped the 25k starve pot for a 10k and definitely better noise wise. I'm guessing the smaller the pot the better it'll be. I'll have to get a 2k when I put my next order in... I still want to give the Bit Commander a shot.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
Well I got a chance to get into my GD. I hade used a NTE4049 which is a UBE equivilant. I put in the recommended IC and got what you mentioned tons of noise in bypass. When removing the NTE I broke the legs so I replaced with the UBE and it's fine again. Again, it seems like there could be a touch of the noise at very specific pints but goes away with a bump of the pot. I currently am using a 10k pot for starve, which could prob be swapped for a 5K.

I also used the UBE in the Robot Devil.
Hope this helps.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
I'll try out the UBE later on or tomorrow but I noticed that the lower the value the less noise I had.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
I found a B2k in my parts bag and that did the trick. In a few spots in the sweep there was a slight bleed through but more towards the ends of the dial. If you haven't tried messing around with the trimmer outboard, it really makes this thing a beast. I have to put one in my Shiva now. I tried a UBE in it too, not enough craziness for me but it sounded pretty decent. Thanks for your help.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
After our exchanges about the GD and re watching the demos,I decided to go back and put the suggested IC back in and reduce the starve pot to 2K as per the layout. I have come to the conclusion that is spot on with the demos and is how I prefer it. The only issue is the noise bleed and I am just going to order a 4PDT to cut the power completely during bypass.. I've had to due this with a couple other noise pedals.
 I had built ithis when I first started out and was just pleased it made a decent fuzz. I guess I never real went back to compare to the demo. I'm glad this came up.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
I appreciate you're help with this, I'm glad it was able to do some good for your build too. The B2k seems to be necessary, I only seem to get bleed through when the starve pot is fully CCW it CW.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound I'm sure you could take care of that without using a 4PDT. How bout wiring it so the output of the circuit is grounded in bypass? Maybe try shorting the output to ground while it's bypassed just so see if that fixes it. If it does you could just rewire the 3PDT

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
I just tried that and it mildly changes the feedback but it's still clearly there. I will defiantly try any other suggestions. I had to do the 4pdt thing on the Ugly Face I built and it looks like I will also be doing it on my Super Sonic Fuzz Gun build.
I thought it may just be the cost of crazy starved sounds.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
Do the production pedals have the same problem?

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
I've never had one in front of me. I doubt that they would
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

cylens
I've had a genuine Great Destroyer and ordered a kit, once, and traced the pcb, so just in case anyone is interested, here it is (verified and compared with original):

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Dwarfcraft-Great-Destroyer-v2-td5695.html

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
Hey cylens, did the kit have the same bleed over as the clones do?

One thing I love about this crazy fuzz is that it gets crazier when stacked with something else. I run mine as my last fuzz (will try last overall) and it sounds gets really weird like the Random Number Generator with my Meathead Dark in front... notes ring out and get start playing themselves.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

MOPO
Hello,

Have you tried to adjust the trim, me I have to be able to solve out any time without removing the box ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrEEve-EMw

His t 'help may be .....

@ +

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
I have the trimmer outboard, it makes some difference with the bleed though but it's still there from time to time.  Using the B2k for the starve seemed to help the most.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
Hey Synsound, did you try it out with a 4PDT? How would you wire that anyway? If you didn't try it, I'll give it a shot. My Shiva has the same issue. I thought it may be due to daisy chaining but even off off my pedal board with a battery both pedals still bleed over.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

Synsound
I did put the 4pdt in and the problem is solved. The wiring stays the same on the first three poles. In the 4th you run 9v from the Jack to sw11 (center pin) and pin 10 will go to the boards 9v in. This will break the power source when in bypass.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
Thanks for the advice.  I just ordered two to use in my Great Destroyer and Shiva. It'll be nice to get some more craziness out of them without screwing up the rest of my rig.

Re: The Great Destroyer Help

squirrels
The 4PDT switch is definitely the way to go with this pedal as well as the Shiva. I'm sure it would work wonders for the Robot Devil too. Thanks for your help.
12