The Gristleizer

Freppo
The Gristleizer, a cool pretty extreme tremolo/filter

I built it and it works, but I don't know if it's 100% ok.
Maybe someone could help me go over it? I've been though it a few times, and I think it's good, but I could have missed something.

I'm having a few problems. However, all the problems are reported in the build thread here so it seems alot of people is having issues with it..
so maybe it's not my fault  but some people seem to have successfull builds of the PCB.

I made my vero from the Endangered Audio Research schematic found here (assembly guide and manual).
Note that this effect need +/- 9v, so a voltage inverter is needed.

Problems:
* It distorts alot and I need to put the volume down on my guitar alot to get clean signal. It distorts alot more in VCF mode.

* Ticking / thumping
Putting a 10uF cap between the wiper and ground of the depth pot helps alot, but still not good enough. This can maybe be solved with shielded wires though.

* The trimpots are really hard to set, not matter how I tweak I can't get a decent triangle waveshape.

* The tremolo sounds good, but the VCF sounds muffled and not very exciting...

check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Gristleizer

Alex
This post was updated on .
Hi Fredrik!
Great layout!
I've drawn a layout in March, added in "Requests" and forgot to add it here.
I don't remember exactly how it worked.
I've used Mictester version(his schematic is smaller than Endangered Audio Research version).
I hope you don't mind if I add it here with yours:

Re: The Gristleizer

Freppo
Awesome job!
I missed that Gristleizer topic in the requests section.
I'll try building yours and see if I have better luck with it.
Thanks!

Cheers
/ Fredrik

check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Gristleizer

Alex
This post was updated on .
Looking at your layout there may be a mistake with the J113 pinout.
It is different from the 2n3819.
From top to bottom, 2n3819 is DGS while J113 is DSG.
If using the J113 in your layout (as it is now), you need to bend the legs but I think the 2n3819 sounded much better.

Re: The Gristleizer

Freppo
You're right! I will try that tomorrow and report back.
Thanks! cheers / Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Gristleizer

Alex
Hi Fredrik!
Did you ever manage to make it work?
If yes, how does it sound?

Re: The Gristleizer

Freppo
albru80 wrote
Hi Fredrik!
Did you ever manage to make it work?
If yes, how does it sound?
No, I didn't have time to tinker with it before going away on vacation. :/ I'll pick it up next week when I get home.

/Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Gristleizer

tabbycat
'the other thread' for the gristleizer can be found here:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Gristleizer-td6777.html

am wondering if anyone can recommend any of the gristleizer vero layouts here that worked for them?

the few build reports here seem to suggest that this is a problematic build due to the nature of the circuit (ticking, etc).

thanks, tabbycat.

Re: The Gristleizer

Neil mcNasty
When starting building pedals this was allways high on my list, looked very interesting...
And I've tried to build this several times, both vero and pcb without geting any of them to work properly(the pcb almost got there...)
Be warned! It is know to be one of the biggest pain in the ass builds ever, and to be honest it sounds pretty crap and is in my opinion not worth the time and effort.
The Tremolo is the only thing that sounds decent, and you'll find Tremolo's that are much more easy builds and sounds way better.

But it's a great build if you like to search for errors! 😜

Re: The Gristleizer

Freppo
I would go with the layout from Albru80. It has a negative voltage inverter on the layout.
Mine need +/- 9v, and I never got it to work properly. Ticking, weak filter ect...

But just as Neil writes, it's a PITA to build and doesn't sound very good imho.
Check out the Tremshifter by Dead Astronaut insted. It's a bit similar but alot better.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: The Gristleizer

tabbycat
thanks for the wise counsel, neil and freppo.

it does seem to have a 'holy grail' aura attached to it within some corners of the diy community. and i have heard a couple of interesting demos. but its reputation precedes it re being a drag to build and troubleshoot. if it only sounds ok-ish after that trauma i will leave it for now. you saved me a headache.

@freppo re the tremshifter, i actually have your layout for it half-finished on my desk now. am just waiting for a bag of tl062 to arrive from china and some good caps.
am really looking forward to playing that so thanks v much for posting your layout.