Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Alex
This post was updated on .
                           VERIFIED!
A great project by David Rolo from Madbean's forum:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17253.0
Plenty of cuts and links but it was the only way to fit it in a BB box.

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

StevieM17
Wow! I've been wanting to make one of these for a while, great layout. This just jumped to the top of my to-do list
KT

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT
Wow, super nice tremolo, and layout!
Does anybody know where we best buy that taplfo? (for europe)
I know small bear has them but it will cost a lot to just ship the chip no?

thnks

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Beaker
Awesome layout Alex!

A group buy of chips from Small Bear might be the way to go, as the chip is pre-programmed specifically for this circuit.

David Rolo had some for sale on the Madbean Forum (along with the rotary switch) a while ago when I enquired about buying a PCB from him. Unfortunately I did not go ahead and place an order - silly me!

Maybe one of our American friends might be able to help?

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT
I think I would buy at least 2 taplfo chips. Is there more interest?
KT

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT
Magic Smoke:
1 x TAPLFO chip = $10.50 each, plus shipping,  $9.50 to Europe, Belgium.
for a grand total of : $20.00.

Small Bear:
1 x TAPLFO chip = $9.95
Shipping = $69.70

Anybody from Europe interested in TAPLFO chips? I think the cheapest way is to order via Magic Smoke. Or Small bear via someone from the forum in America?

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Alex
Hi!
I've found these:

Magic Smoke:
http://www.magsmoke.com/pricelist.asp

1 chip: $8
Shipping: $4.50 (up to 10).

Banzai Music:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/ElecDruid-Tap-LFO.html
KT

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT
ah, thanks !
I didn't know about the ones from banzai music. If I order some order things from them that will be the best thing to do maybe.

The price list from magic smoke isn't up to date, I emailed them.

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Mark SL
Hey guys, I built it and it keeps blowing up the 100uF cap by the top regulator. I'm going to print out the layout and schematic and make sure its the same.

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Alex
Hi Mark.
I've check it again and I'm quite sure it's correct:
http://www.davidrolo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Twin-Peaks-Tremolo-2.1-build-doc.pdf

The only thing I didn't write is that D1 has to be around 1.8V (less than 2V).
Have you checked cuts, links, bridges? Voltage Regulators pinout?

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Mark SL
Right off the bat, you are missing the 10k resistor that connects to the 470n cap on the input.  Following that trail, you have a 1M resistor going from the opamp input to vb1 instead of the 470k resistor on the schematic.  You are also missing a 10uF cap in the power section.  I'll keep looking.  There are definitely some discrepancies if you are using the schematic on the page you linked from madbean's forum.

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Alex
This post was updated on .
That would be a lot of stuff to miss!
You're checking the old schematic.
I've used the one that David Rolo gave as the updated version to use when building the project with his printed boards. Revision 2.1
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17272.0

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Hozy31
I am in the process of buying some PIC16F684s and a module for coding to these ics and will hopefully be able to do so by next week. I am quite willing to pass on a few TAPFLO encoded ics to anyone in the UK for cost price plus P&P if anyone is interested and could even go further and do more if there is a great deal of interest. Hope I am not treading on toes doing so though. Let me know if any are interested.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Hozy31
Planning on building this at the weekend to test my PIC coded chips but realised i don't have any rotary switches. Can i use a DPDT instead and if so how would i wire it and what switch type would i neeed, ie on-on, on-off-on?

Just realised i can't use a DPDT as too many connections. I was thinking of Madbeans Weener Wah connections and went back to it which made me realise it was a stupid question. Ordered a selection of rotaries so i have a stock.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Hozy31
Ok, on holiday at home at the moment so thought i would spend some time on building this. Took my time so i would definitely not mess up but really knackered now. Not finished it yet so will finish off by wiring it up to my test box tomorrow. Picture of build so far.

If you see any fuck ups let me know.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Hozy31
This post was updated on .
Success. This is verified and sounds absolutely amazing. Some fantastic sounds coming from this one. Everything working as it should. Worked first time i plugged it in as well. I now have another 9 TAPLFO chips to use. Going to build the Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser soon, just got to order VTL5C3/2s from Banzai unless i can substitute with other optocouplers?

I am able to program my own TAPLFOs if anybody in the UK wants some chips programming I will be happy to do it for free if you send me the chips and a self addressed envelope as long as I don't piss anybody off by doing so.

Edit: Used 47n cap for C1 but not tried any others yet.
2nd edit: Also tried 1n, 22n and 100n and found 100n to be best for me.
"Red velvet lines the black box"
KT

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

KT
Hi Hozy,
are you also willing to ship some programmed chips (2 or 3) to Belgium? And how much would I need to pay? If it's too much of a hassle for you, no problem :)  bye

Re: Twin Peaks Tap Tremolo

Hozy31
Hi KT,
No problem i can pass three on to you as i still have 9. Will keep a couple for myself so i have 7 to go as far as i am concerned. I bought the chips at £1.90 each and delivery cost I am not totally sure about but does £5.70 plus £2.00 delivery charge so £7.70 in total sound ok to you. If so PM me with your address and i will email back with a Paypal link so you can pay and i wil get in the post for you first thing Monday.
Hoz
"Red velvet lines the black box"
12