Vertex Boost Workalike

spren27
I found this cool schematic by mmolteratx on freestompboxes and figured I'd leave it here in case anyone wanted to make a vero of it. It's supposed to be like the vertex boost but with 20dB of gain instead of only 16dB.

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
I just made this layout, and not verified. Probably I'm not going to build this soon.
I ignored the expression jack.
As usually, tell me if there's some mistake.

I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

d3ttn3r
Hey! I'm interested in building a clone of one of these, im pretty new to building, could you by chance build another model like this one but including the expression jack part of the circuit?

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
Ok, it's been easy enough.
The volume resistor is the 10k to the right on the original layout.
Now it is on the jack. When the expression pedal is not connected the resistor is 10k. When you plug the cable of the expression pedal the 10k resistor is disconnected, and the resistor depends from the expression pedal.

I advice you to build the original layout first, to see if it really works, it's still unverified.

Let us to know.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Albiswing
I think the expression pedal you hook to the Vertex boost works as a volume pedal even with the boost switched off. The ads say something like  "this way you dont loose signal/top end as happens with other volume pedals".

This means that offwiring cannot be trubypass as usual.
I think this is implemented on the circuit (a switch to the right of the boost pot).
My question is:  Is this feature implemented on the Vero?
Thanks in advance for helping us DIYers with your awesome hability to translate circuits

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
I think I can answer about the effect of the expression pedal and about the output signal.
As you can see in the schematic the expression pedal replace in the last stage the resistor R6 10k in the feedback of the op-amp (between its inverting input and output).
The 10k is on the jack in my last layout.
So you didn't control the output volume, but the gain of the last stage of the circuit, and it works, in the end, like a volume control. (Though, I don't know what happen if the rsistor is 0R. Theorically, it should let pass some signal, but if it too lttle we can get any sound.)
For the same reason, I guess, the signal don't loose top ends like if the volume control was a pot in the end of the circuit.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Albiswing
😓
Thank you for the explanation.
I revisited this pedal demos and realized that the expression pedal works only with the pedal switched on. I dont know why I thought the expression pedal could control the volume even with the pedal switched off... Sorry for the confussion

El mié., 1 jul. 2020 12:24, fx-fidden [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> escribió:
I think I can answer about the effect of the expression pedal and about the output signal.
As you can see in the schematic the expression pedal replace in the last stage the resistor R6 10k in the feedback of the op-amp (between its inverting input and output).
The 10k is on the jack in my last layout.
So you didn't control the output volume, but the gain of the last stage of the circuit, and it works, in the end, like a volume control. (Though, I don't know what happen if the rsistor is 0R. Theorically, it should let pass some signal, but if it too lttle we can get any sound.)
For the same reason, I guess, the signal don't loose top ends like if the volume control was a pot in the end of the circuit.
I build pedals

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Vertex-Boost-Workalike-tp18023p48908.html
To unsubscribe from Vertex Boost Workalike, click here.
NAML

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
It has perfectly sense, the expression pedal is connected to the circuit in the way I told in my previous post.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Faldoe
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
Not by me. Sorry.
Did somebody else verified my layouts above?

Anyway, it's a simple project, maybe you can try it.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jvanginkel
I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, but thanks for posting it. I will try to verify it next week after Christmas. I've been wanting to build some boosts and I love the expression pedal feature of this pedal. I will update soon.

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Antilog
Hi Jvanginkel,
I was about to start it too. Then I’ll wait for your feedback before building it. Please Keep us informed, thanks !

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jvanginkel
What is the pot value for the boost control?

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jvanginkel
Bummer. I am out of bat46 diodes. I have some bat41. Will it make a difference in this circuit?

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jvanginkel
I am going to hold off on building this one, since I have to order 1 diode, I am going to wait while I decide on some parts I need for other projects. I also wonder about the expression pedal functionality. On the production model the expression pedal still controls the volume even when the boost is disengaged. That was what got me interested in this particular pedal. I can have a volume/buffer pedal with a boost option. It seems like an "always on" unity buffer and the footswitch engages the boost.

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
I think the type of the diode is not very important here. It's in line to the 9v and it drop a bit the voltage and protect the circuit in case you connect it with soe PSU with an inverted polarity. A 1N4148 or 1N4001 can work fine, or 1N5817 is a very good option, too.
If you miss only it you can use a 47R or a 100R resistor or even jumper it, momentary.

You're right. I missed to write the Boost pot value. You can see it in the schematic, but it's a 10k log.

I need to look a bit better the schematic, but if I don't wrong with the boost at zero you have just the unity gain, so we can say if like that it doesn't boost so it works like a buffer. Usually, with the opamp, the inverting input stage has an input impedance lower than a non-inverting input stage, but if we see the R2 470k (and maybe R3, too) the impedance should be ok, anyway

Thanks for your work with this layout.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jesus fuentes
Amigo le saque unas fotos a un booterde vertex trabaja con in opa2134ua

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jesus fuentes

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Jesus fuentes

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Donioli
Hello friends, how are you? Could someone please mount the pedal? I need some feedback on him because a friend is setting up for me.
12