and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
it took me 6 hours but it's true! i did it...
i'll order some stuff next month in witch there will be those 2 f$%^&* ics that i can't find here in greece...

anyway...this is my contribution to this fantastic community..

it's an unusual big vero layout 42x18
but i'm not in the condition to count the cuts and the links.... !!!!!
i know  could make it a little smaller by jumpers over ic's, pots and wires in the middle of the board and staff like that,  but i wanted to make it the right way...so...

enjoy!!!!

check it you too for an other time before you take that chance, but i think it's ok...i think...!

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
here it is in pdf cause i saw the quality of the image was very bad....

looper.pdf

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

skeletonghost
Looks really cool! Any leads on where to find some isd100a's?

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
thanks man
i've found lots in ebay
like those

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221200425215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and i believe this one is ok too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171382469376?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
but not sure 100%
if anyone knows for sure could tell

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

skeletonghost
Just having a quick look around similar Winbond IC ISD4003,ISD4004,ISD4005 etc seems to be available from Nuvoton. Here's the data sheet for the isd100a. I read some promising text from Spikenzie Labs regarding the ISD4003

"The VS is based on the ISD4003 from Winbond. This chip is called a "voice chip" because it was designed to record and playback messages for devices such as answering machines, talking cars etc. This version of the ISD can hold 4 minutes of audio at a sampling rate of 8khz, (the best quality presently available in this type of chip). There are others that can hold longer recordings but the sampling rate is lower."

Maybe the ISD100a can be salvaged from old answering machines or toys? I've wanted to build a DIY sampler/loop forever >_<

*edit* Thanks man! I'll give those a look

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
yeah...i know about those 4003 series, but they won't feet in this layout...pins are referent from the older 1000a chip, so you must make changes...not a big deal if you're lucky...i don't know much about datasheets, but i think that if it's just to make some new links to the right pins it won't be difficult.

but for me i think i'll go with the 1420 witch has the same pinout...just to verify my layout.
and my big dream is also having 5 of those in a big box(5x42x18need's it!), all these through a parallel looper so i can finally be able to erase the second of the 5 loops for example. cause all loopers out there can erase only the last one...hope i' ll make it..

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
This post was updated on .
now verified!!!
really great looper...for an answering machine chip!!!
i strongly recomment to build this.
it's working great

i think i should build 5 to play with all of them in the same time...grrrrr....!!!

anyway...
i made a much smaller board and much prettier. nothing really changed, just found better places for the components.
ah!anything except from the footprint of the ic witch i didn't knew when i drew the first vero. when ic came i saw it was one row bigger
here it is

i didn't wrote the labels but it's easy enough to do it yourself having the first layout above.

enjoy!

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

iconpoet
hi Savvas,
can you specify what kind of foot-switches are needed for the looper and how they connect to the veroboard?

also, i have a spare bi-color led, is it ok to use them? the placement on the vero board looks ideal.

regards,
george

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi george!

i didn't saw your mail. sorry.
look.
i've used a momentary switch with just 2 lugs for REC (you can find those in moutsioulhs (0.90euros) in our town they are plastic but very strong.ioannidhs in xarilaou has a metal one too, at about3euros but it was too far for me to go for just a switch.anyway...sorry to the others for these!!!), and a 3pdt for engage. i've only connected one pole of the 3pdt, (lug2, and 1 or 3.)when i what to rec a loop i have to hold down the momentary, and then push the normal 3pdt to start replaying the loop. the safe switch is a regular toggle spdt.you just have again to connect the 2 wires from the board to lugs 2 and 1or3...

i've never had a bi-color led,but i think it would be ok to use it. let me know how it went.
now i've just finished my second one!3 more to go!
hope you've ordered the 4001 too...
KT

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

KT
Great work ξεναγος νεκροπολης !!

it would be nice to add the functions of the mad bean loophole
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Loophole/Loophole.pdf
for starters :)
Next would be vibrato like the zvex lofi junkie.
Also described in: http://tech.thetonegod.com/payback/payback.html

And a really nice feature is to speed up or down the loop. Apparently you can do this simply by putting a 1-2k pot between +V and +supply of the chip.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=87737.0

Finally, and the reason why I am so interested interested:
http://mtlasm.blogspot.be/p/count-to.html

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
that's great kt!
thanks a lot!
i've already build 2 triploopers and wanted to build more.but now i think i'll keep my chips for those you've linked above!
i think i have to open my diy layout creator again...!!!

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

Heath
Hey, Savvas is that bent link under IC5 a double link or just angled for clarity?

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
it's double link man!
i'm happy you're back and caved!

cheers!

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

Heath
hey, dude!

I'm never too far away from this place :)

I haven't had a whole lot to add to anything recently, though, so doing more reading than posting.

I've been struggling to get motivated to set up a recording space again and start working on a crap load of new song ideas I have.  The last time I did any real recording I had 1 electric guitar and one acoustic guitar, a PC microphone, and a Boss OC-2 pedal for bass lines :D  Now I've got a crapload of guitars, a couple of basses, nearly any pedal I could want, a much much better amp, and a decent recording mic,.. and a bad case of the BLAHs.

I think maybe my job drains the energy out of me.  Maybe I'm just getting old, heh.  At any rate I've got all these snippets where I'll have a idea and just record it through the crappy mic on my desk so I don't forget.  I think there's some decent stuff there if I can just get on it and start producing.

One thing that does get me in the mood is the thought of using a different guitar (or two) on each track, which would be a new experience for me. I also look forward to noting each and every pedal used so I can throw some propers back at this forum for the help :)

All that said, I'm working myself up to trying this Looper circuit out.  There's a little Heath-angel on one shoulder saying "You can do it!  You built a Phase 90 on stripboard!  You built a CB-30 from two pieces of stripboard stitched together!" and then there's a Heath-devil on the other shoulder saying "Muhahahaha!  You're going to waste your time because you are an IDIOT!  Remember the Galileo?  The LAC?  That's right, asshole.  Now rub some of that solder in your eye."

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hahaha!!!

the stitched veros was the best i think!
...after the smashed little devil chorus!
anyway.
this one is big but easy.it worked just fine for me.
let me know if you want voltages or anything i could help!

cheers mate!
Savvas

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

Heath
Can you confirm I have these labels right?

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
yes heath!
thats right!
i was soooo lazy to do it!
so thank you!!!

note:i've used a momentery for rec/play cause i didn't have any spdt lanching, and i didn't want to spare a second 3pdt.if you have spdt, it's more usefull i think, cause you won't have to keep pushing till rec is complete.but in the other hand with the momentary you don't have to push 2 switches to enable the loop! you can choose whatever you like.

cheers
savvas

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

Sergio
Hallo Savvas, just one question, I ordered 2 1420 to give this one a try (or a double try) my thoughts were making it doble in a 125b box being one vero over the other one, maybe a little tight, if it needs more space ill change it to 1590bb. The case is that I was thinking if there would be problems if  REC and DRY pots were dual pots, sharing both loops the same recording level and being the Dry level constant too, and leaving 2 PLAY levels, in order to change if necessary. Do you think this could work? How about yours? are you playing with 2 of them, or have you increased number up to five? This could a monster. I think that for me to play at home with 2 I d have more than enough!
Thank you for that great vero!
 Sergio

Re: and yes...mobius trip looper!!!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi sergio!
i've build 2 of them in separated boxes. i've thried to use them both in the same time but...
i think that this looper is fun pedal to have, but just one in a time! it's so so so difficult to synchonize 2 or more of them.
and by that i mean that it's difficult to play a second loop that will repeat in the same time with the first board. this circuit is lofi, almost analog, and it means that small rhythm loses in the second loop that your ear won't ever hear, will be heard after a few repeats next to the first loop, and so two or more loops will be heard out of time with eachother.
arggggg...
hope you understand what i want to say with my bad english...!!!
so... i think you should build them separated, cause that would be more versable and don't try that with dual pots.
hope i helped
savvas
12