madbean collosalus- flanger

ξεναγος νεκροπολης

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

Hozy31
Nice work .
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

tabbycat
thanks for the post, savvas. that is a monster.

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

strassercaster
impressive once again sir.

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

strassercaster
i just finished a pcb version. these are great flangers.

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
VERIFIED!

this is a fantastic flanger!
totally clean
mine is absolutely like the demos on youtube.
easy to bias if you read the collosalus pdf at madbean page.

i didn't have any 2n5087 so i've used bc560 in there. also 33k for every 30k in the layout and something that i don't recall for 5,1k.300Ω for that 330Ω. and 22μf for both 15μf.
i've forgot to write that the voltage regulator is a 78l15

i recommend to everyone to build this. the first flanger on vero as far as i know and it sounds perfect!

i also recommend to everyone that wants to build it, to spend some time to check and re-check all these cuts and link to be sure that haven't missed anything.they are too many...!!!

i spend 2 hours debugging cause i've missed the small link under 4049.i did that link to the backside of the board.
i'll try to make a demo in the next days.

enjoy!

ξεναγος νεκροπολης

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

tabbycat
thanks for the pic, savvas. i am resisting attemtping this on vero atm, crisis of vero confidence, but if i do decide to build it i will print this photo out and stick it on my wall for inspiration.

how does it sound? have you compared it to an original 117?

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

Yes great job matey.  You and Alex are both totally bonkers!

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
hey there,

savvas: congrats and thanks so much for the layout!!

may i ask how you power the Colossalus? It's a nightmare to me, there's  A LOT of noise when powering it with a charge pump.

when I power it with 9V everything seems right but a little "shy", at 18V it sounds cool but WHOoooooooOOOSHHHHHHHH

at first I thought I was sending white noise through it (i'm testing with a computer based tone generator)...

I've swapped a few components but the noise seems to "come" from the MN3007 pins 7&8...

I have tried to power it with 2 bridged isolated 9V outputs, but no flanging at all...

GODDAMNIT

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
Thanks cylens!!!
I don't use a charge pump.i'm using the 18v output from my diy power supply.basicaly it's 18v straight from a laptops supply,with some filtering. I also think(i can't recall for sure,) that i've also tried the 15v output and had great results too.
When i'll go back to my lab, i'll check and post my voltages .
Cheers

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hey dude.
just an update.
i think that it needs much more current than what a charge pump can provide. so i believe that that's why you can't make it work as it should.
try a 18v wall power supply, or something like what i did with my laptop's supply.
hope i helped.
Savvas

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
hey savvas,

thanks for the update!

yeah, I think I'll hack a laptop supply, too. Did you build an adaptor or just stripped wires to solder a 2.1mm DC jack plug?

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

Kinski
According to madbean's build doc, you can use a 9v supply with a charge pump to 18v, that is then regulated down to 15v.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Collosalus/Collosalus2015.pdf

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

Kinski
I'd use an LT1054 for the charge pump, as madbean suggests.

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
yeah, that 7660s might not have been the best idea...

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
I've built the power supply according to the collosalus docs (with LT1054) and I can't make it work... no flanging...

At 9V I can make it work, but not at 18V anymore (even with the previous charge pump), I've swapped everything I could, MN3007, CD4013... I've ordered CD4049UBE, cause I'm using a MC14049 and of course, I'm suspecting it to be the culprit...

I don't understand the circuit that much, actually, what do the 4013 and 4049 do, where's the LFO, what are we doing when "biasing" the BBS, etc. It would make it easier to me to start probing stuff with an oscilloscope, I'm gonna look at some infos on all that.

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
to be more specific: at 18V I can't hear the flanging effect when doing the calibration procedure (biasing the BBD, at first)

Re: madbean collosalus- flanger

cylens
update:

I've hooked my "scope" (a DIY USB scope kit: http://www.pdamusician.com/dpscope/overview_se.html ) on the collosalus board and:

when powering it at 9V, I have a triangle waveform from the output of a 4558 and a "weird" clock signal from pins 10 and 12 of the 4013 and I have signal at pins 2 and 6 of the 3007

when powering it at 18V, the 4013 becomes "mute" and voltages are weird: I get 15V at pin 1 and 0V at pin 2... I've tested all (5) of my 4013s and no difference

quite frustrating, actually
12