Dub Siren.

Beaker
Hi Guys, my son is after a dub siren for studio use. I've found this schematic, courtesy of Jacob Lysgaard's blog:

Anyone up for doing this please?

Re: Dub Siren.

Alex
Here you go.
I've eliminated the LEDs and made some changes based on forums suggestions (you should start with 130K for R1).
Hope it works!

Re: Dub Siren.

Beaker
Alex, you are a legend. Thank you very much!

I found a layout for this, posted up by a Swedish guy, earlier today. However it is ugly as sin, and far larger than it needs to be.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
I'm very curios to hear this as I am running out of stuff to build.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
I started building just under a year ago with no experience and it's been like crack. I have been frantically searching for stuff that is different enough to make it worth building. I even took time to build a few synths and a sequencer during this time.
Here is what I got done in a year:
Black Arts Toneworks
Black Forest-
Pharaoh-

Blackout Effectors
Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe-

DAM
Meathead (standard & dark)
Sonic Titan

Dead Astronaut
Term Shifter
X-Fuzz-

Death by Audio
Robot-
Kill Kill-

Devi Ever
Disaster-
Krackle-
Bit-
Aenima-
Torn's Peaker-
Hyperion2-
Ruiner-

Dwarfcraft
Robot Devil-
Great Destroyer-

Electro Harmonix
Double Muff-
Civil War Muff-

Frequency Central (Rick Holt)
Phaser

FuzzHugger
Phantom Octave-

Grind Customs
Deprofundis Delay & modulation-

J. Rockett
Animal-
WTF-

Lovepedal
Eternity Burst-
Purple Plexi 800-

Mad Professor
Deep Blue-
Sweet Honey-
Snow White-

Mid-Fi
Clari(not)-
PitchPirate-

Mutron
Micro V modded (Madbean Kraken)-

Parasite Studio
Arcadiator
Flawed Logic-
Raygun Youth

ProTone
Body Rot II-

Runoff Groove
Tri-Vibe-

Tim Escobedo
Ugly face-
PWM-
TMK-

Wampler
Triple Wreck-

ZVEX
SHO-
Super Duper-
Box of Rock-
Distortron-
Mastotron-
Machine (MadBean Macheen)-

Misc
1 Knob Noise Gate-
Tremulous Lune-
Little Angle-

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

If you want to hear what they sound like, just do a search on Youtube for "Dub Siren" - there's loads of them. They'll do everything from classic "air raid" siren sounds to "Forbidden Planet" type whistles and bleeps.

And yes, you are running out of stuff to build!

One group of glaring ommissions in your list though - I don't see any Shin Ei / Univox fuzzes. You NEED those!

Re: Dub Siren.

Chris60601
Along with some of the Vox-like emus (Galileo comes to mind) and perhaps the new Thunderbird at 1776
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
I liked the Galileo but I only have 4 5457's left.
I may put a super fuzz together.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Frank_NH
Re: running out of things to build.

I've built now about 20 - 30 circuits, mostly overdrives/distortions and amp sims.  Most have worked great (sounds are about as expected or better), some not.  The key is to not box the circuit unless you have a request for it or really want it on your pedal board.  What I typically do is build the vero with the control pot and switch (for circuits which have spst or spdt switches) wires unsoldered, and temporarily connect the pots and switches with alligator clips.  If I like what I hear, I'll set it aside for later boxing (i.e. place the board and components in a labeled plastic bag).  What I may start doing is soldering up the pots and switches if I like the circuit and mounting everything + the board to some plastic perfboard as a module.  Then later boxing will be as simple as for PCB projects with the PCB mounted pots.

Also at some point this year I will be improving my test rig to incorporate my audio probe and to provide for wall wart 9V power or battery.

But yeah the builds are piling up and I'll eventually have to decide which to keep which to pawn off on friends and relatives...   What draws me to this hobby though is the exploration of different sounds and understanding how those sounds are created through the variety if different circuit topologies - that will never get old!

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
Thanks for the advice on the Univox. I just tested it out and love it. I don't know how I missed that one.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
I am hoping to put this to get her tomorrow. I need to finish the off board wiring on the Galileo I'm building. From there it is straight into the siren. I really have no traditional need for it but it may serve as a neat oscillator to run into one of the synths I've build. I'll let you know how it goes.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
I built it and it's working for the most part. It's quite odd. I wish I had an example of what it should do. I hear of modulations underneath the siren but don't know if it should come through. It's very faint. The volume is almost like a gate. As far as the (R1) value, I swapped a few in but no real change. I put the upper pin of (R1) one row down and can hear changes based on value but due to everything being so interactive I have no idea what is actually changing. I also am unsure of what the center position of sw1 is for. One way is momentary the other is continuous but center is nothing. In the center and momentary pos. the signal bleeds through.
I will recheck my wiring to see if I messed anything up and report back. It's just tough to tell if a noise maker you haven't heard is making the "correct" noise.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Alex
This post was updated on .
Have you double checked layout and schematics?
I've just removed the LEDS but I'm pretty sure the rest should be ok.
Sw1 is meant to be 2 positions, not 3.
You can find videos here:
http://www.jacoblysgaard.com/2009/08/dyi-dub-siren-%E2%80%93-the-complete-rubdown/

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
It will defiantly do what that vid showed. I was more curious what it sounded like wide open and hearing what each of his pots did. Either way I get the gist. It's as averified as I can see. I think the center position of sw1 is like a stand by. I may do a daughter board for the LEDs.
If so what common npn would you recommend?
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Holy shit. Hearing that demo of it, made this a requirement for me to build. Thinking of building it with a deep blue delay after it in the same box.

Re: Dub Siren.

2N3904, 2n5088, 2N2222 - any of the usual small signal NPNs. They are not in the audio signal path, just operating the LEDs.

I've not been able to do much building recently, but I've got all the parts for this now, so should be able to make a start.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
Cool. Thank you.
I just realized that my connections from Vol2 and SW1-3 were both one row higher than they should be. I'm correcting that and will let you know how that is tonight when I can test.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 6, 2015, at 7:34 AM, Beaker [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

2N3904, 2n5088, 2N2222 - any of the usual small signal NPNs. They are not in the audio signal path, just operating the LEDs.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Dub-Siren-tp17189p17429.html
To unsubscribe from Dub Siren., click here.
NAML
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Synsound
Corrections were made and the layout if defiantly verified! Thanks!
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Dub Siren.

Alex
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED